PDA

View Full Version : Stealership sanity check

Dmb408
July 9th, 2013, 19:30
So am I crazy to pay the dealer to do a trans service? My dealer is $124.5/labor hr and they are quoting 4 hours. They claim they can get all 10 (rounding up from 9.5) liters out? How, in that amount of time? Anyway I told them I was going to buy my own oil (Schaeffer) and filter/gasket kit (ECS) because their parts quotes were outrageous. (On a side note, the indy shops are bad around here, the only one that works on RS6's regularly is very annoying to deal with.) Last time I moved away from Michigan, I believe this same dealer was 100 or 110/hr. Oh how things have changed. (Thankfully then, it was warranty work on an RS4.) Guidance...?

lswing
July 9th, 2013, 19:50
That's about right for time, we did it in about that time. My main concern is always fill, are they going to fill it correctly. At least dealers work is warrantied by AOA I think...

Dmb408
July 9th, 2013, 20:08
I am sure they will make me sign a no warranty disclaimer because I am bringing different oil. I hope though if I give them 12 quarts (11.x liters) they won't just pour some out to prove that they put 9.5 liters in... I hope.

ben916
July 9th, 2013, 20:12
last time I checked:

Indy shop with everything provided and performed as per tech guidelines = $450ish = 4 hours
stealership """"""" = $580ish = 4 hours

lswing
July 9th, 2013, 20:21
I am sure they will make me sign a no warranty disclaimer because I am bringing different oil. I hope though if I give them 12 quarts (11.x liters) they won't just pour some out to prove that they put 9.5 liters in... I hope.

Are they going to purge and flush, or just drain? We used about 3-4 quarts to clear the system of old fluid, then another ~9-12 to fill I think. Figure if the trans is 9.5, you've got the TC, and lines running up to cooler at front on engine, correct? Basically keep filling until she pours out the top, cap her up!

Chung
July 9th, 2013, 22:22
It also depends on how warm your transmission is. Actual work time might be 4 hours but they are going to have to let it sit and cool down a few times most likely.

DHall1
July 9th, 2013, 23:18
I was quoted 2hrs to drop the pan and change the filter/fluid.

I would say run away from 4hrs of dealer labor. Run

Why do you need the service? Any issues? What is the mileage?

If the trans has never been done or TC, then I would save up for a Tozo trans rebuild. Why spend 1000 for a fluid change when you can have the whole thing done for less than 5k all in. It will need a trans sooner or later anyways.

So am I crazy to pay the dealer to do a trans service? My dealer is $124.5/labor hr and they are quoting 4 hours. They claim they can get all 10 (rounding up from 9.5) liters out? How, in that amount of time? Anyway I told them I was going to buy my own oil (Schaeffer) and filter/gasket kit (ECS) because their parts quotes were outrageous. (On a side note, the indy shops are bad around here, the only one that works on RS6's regularly is very annoying to deal with.) Last time I moved away from Michigan, I believe this same dealer was 100 or 110/hr. Oh how things have changed. (Thankfully then, it was warranty work on an RS4.) Guidance...?

DHall1
July 9th, 2013, 23:22
I totally wasted my $$ in performing/paying for a fluid and filter change after having my TC done last month.

It needed the whole damn transmission the next week.

That will teach me. Lesson learned...I normally perform all the maint on my own vehicles.

marklar182
July 10th, 2013, 04:27
My advise is to leave it alone. Flushing can cause more harm than good.

Just save your pennies for when (not if) the trans craps out.

July 10th, 2013, 05:00
last time I checked:

Indy shop with everything provided and performed as per tech guidelines = $450ish = 4 hours
stealership """"""" = $580ish = 4 hours

Time to quit my day job

Dmb408
July 10th, 2013, 13:12
Ouch. I should have brought this up before I bought the supplies yesterday because I had really been debating between leaving it alone and trying to be proactive. THEN, just as I am typing this, ECS comes through with the cancellation on the filter kit - nice. I guess I don't mind having the Schaeffer oil still shipped because I'd have to use it to fill a new one.

TozoM8
July 10th, 2013, 14:44
Autohousaz has it for ~$30. They have free shipping over $50 if you need to buy more supplies.

DHall1
July 10th, 2013, 15:47
What is the mileage? What is your last 4 of the VIN? You can just give 9055xx if you wish.

I would do a couple of drains and refills with the trans oil. Very easy to do at home.

Ouch. I should have brought this up before I bought the supplies yesterday because I had really been debating between leaving it alone and trying to be proactive. THEN, just as I am typing this, ECS comes through with the cancellation on the filter kit - nice. I guess I don't mind having the Schaeffer oil still shipped because I'd have to use it to fill a new one.

Dmb408
July 10th, 2013, 20:08
Mileage is 60K. Last 4 of VIN is 4959.

DHall1
July 11th, 2013, 06:36
Interesting, that VIN is middle of the road. Has the TC ever been changed? You are flashed right? I would do a couple of drains and refills only. Just to get new fluid transferred. Tozo says the stock fluid will break down after 50k.

Mileage is 60K. Last 4 of VIN is 4959.