PDA

View Full Version : These cars are magnets for road debris

humantic
July 9th, 2013, 01:32
My A6 and this RS6 have taken strikes to the windshield numerous times from crap flying up off the road or kicked out by a vehicle in front of me. Never in my 30+ years of driving has this much stuff hit my window. Just this morning I picked up a chip. Granted prior to this I was driving pickups, but still...

Last year I had to put a new windshield in my A6, the insurance replacement was not OEM. Now I'm worried that the same thing will happen to my beloved RS6. I don't want to lose these two unique decals (green) that came with the vehicle from Bobski.

Has any body else experienced this high rate of impacts or am I just overly sensitive?

johnnie27
July 9th, 2013, 01:38
My A6 and this RS6 have taken strikes to the windshield numerous times from crap flying up off the road or kicked out by a vehicle in front of me. Never in my 30+ years of driving has this much stuff hit my window. Just this morning I picked up a chip. Granted prior to this I was driving pickups, but still...

Last year I had to put a new windshield in my A6, the insurance replacement was not OEM. Now I'm worried that the same thing will happen to my beloved RS6. I don't want to lose these two unique decals (green) that came with the vehicle from Bobski.

Has any body else experienced this high rate of impacts or am I just overly sensitive?

yep my RS6 has had 2 windscreens in the past 3 years...and a re-spray bonnet guards (mostly drivers side) its the bloody crap road patching job! they dont sweep away here.....so it ends up in ya face!

DHall1
July 9th, 2013, 05:55
Racing optics invisible windshield protection. I have installed this on both my RS6s. I dont turn in windshield claims and carry higher deductables. They wouldnt cover OEM glass anyways. So F em.

http://www.protint.com/Racing/to_racingoptics.htm

2ft deep with clear bra on bumper, front end and rear quarter flares. I dont like waiting for the Prius to move out of the left lane so I push them along gently.

BTW, for document sake. Do you have a note on when bobski had the transmission replaced?

Other_Erik
July 10th, 2013, 13:29
Seconded, just paid out another $200 getting 3 chips in the windscreen fixed, budget crunch on local/state maintenance has meant crap roads here for the past couple years. Not complaining, having driven in Detroit a time or two, but the days of freshly paved/re-paved roads are coming to an end. Gonna look into doing X-Pel across all the front and the fender flares, worth the investment if it saves me from another paint chippy...

DHall1
July 10th, 2013, 15:50
Order a 2ft roll. It's easy as pie to install on the RS.

ben916
July 10th, 2013, 17:35
I took a bolt to the windshield @ 70mph = two medium sized impact points smack dab in the middle of the drivers line of sight.

USAA "attempted" to be cheap on me. I asked them when the last claim I had, they said never. I said then the $200 difference in OEM glass versus crap glass is what I want to retain the value of the vehicle. They agreed.

humantic
July 12th, 2013, 22:09
That's good info Ben, I'll keep that in mind when the time comes to replace this windshield. My main concern is not so much the glass itself as it is the special decals that came with vehicle indicating that it had traveled on roads in Germany, I'm not sure how I can replace those when the windshield gets replaced.

I've actually seen debris get sucked into the windshield which leads me to believe that the aerodynamics of the body is partially responsible for the extraordinary number of strikes I've experienced.

For the record DHall, Bobski started bringing trans issues (hard shifting) to the dealers attention at around 36,000 miles, the work done on 904880 was completed at approximately 52,000 miles in Neckarsulm (84.446 km on the paperwork)

DHall1
July 13th, 2013, 05:41
Thanks. Adds fuel to my theory.

40k on my #2. Hard downshift on accel at speed. Bang and it had the TC code.

Needed whole trans

46xx

That's good info Ben, I'll keep that in mind when the time comes to replace this windshield. My main concern is not so much the glass itself as it is the special decals that came with vehicle indicating that it had traveled on roads in Germany, I'm not sure how I can replace those when the windshield gets replaced.

I've actually seen debris get sucked into the windshield which leads me to believe that the aerodynamics of the body is partially responsible for the extraordinary number of strikes I've experienced.

For the record DHall, Bobski started bringing trans issues (hard shifting) to the dealers attention at around 36,000 miles, the work done on 904880 was completed at approximately 52,000 miles in Neckarsulm (84.446 km on the paperwork)