PDA

View Full Version : Research done time to buy.

Codinc
July 5th, 2013, 02:18
Happy 4th everyone. Been scouring this site as well as other Audi Forums, but compared to others, this one blows them out of the water! After reading about 20 hours a week of posts for the passed couple of months, almost like a part time job, and now that my wife has finally been talked into the benefits of a 4 door super sedan I am ready to take the plunge. I've really been focusing on finding a good specimen to take home, and wanted to see if I'm going in the right direction.

I'm currently debating between these few cars: 1.) Mugello Blue with 89K for 24K, ebony interior, new transmission (not just TC), SE and an assortment of maintenance things done, the only thing is that it's been a 4 owner car, and this makes me pretty damn cautious:doh: 2.) Avis with 75K for 22.5K, silver interior, BBS wheels and 2 owners based off of the description. 3.) Daytona with 80K for 25K, one owner clean CARFAX, silver interior and SE.

I have a mandatory DRC removal/disposal done asap post purchase regardless of which one I get, properly replacing it with Konis (stock springs) and Hotchkis Sways. Other than the usual places I would look for issues: TRANNY, rotors, IC's, MAF's, Voltmeter, etc..what are some other useful tips for what to look for when I buy? Unfortunately, there are none in my general area (Salt Lake UT), so I'm planning on doing my due diligence upon pickup. I have never driven an RS6, but have driven several high-po Audis, 911s, CTS-Vs, and other high performance cars, so I'm comfortable with assessing the situation via maintenance history and a thorough run through before making the plunge.

Please let me know what you guys think, and thanks for all the upcoming assistance ahead of time, it is greatly appreciated.

bmwade
July 5th, 2013, 02:41
Or you could buy a Dayton/silver with all that work already done, nice mods, half the miles, and a warranty for less than what it's gonna cost you to get the 25k car up to running decent....

Codinc
July 5th, 2013, 02:57
I think I know your car from Autotrader (if you have a pics on a red drive-way) definitely looks and sounds like a well maintained and properly modified ride. At this point though I'd like to buy a stock one, as I really love to work on cars, and believe that with a car like the RS6, its more like starting a relationship with a supermodel, she looks great but there is a lot of personalization and acclimation which needs to occur to make her your own. Your car is really nice though, and is definitely priced fairly.

Travis
July 5th, 2013, 03:03
Only thing I wanted to chime in on is the multiple owners thing, seams as though a lot of people get into an RS6 without looking into what up-keep is going to run them, so its back up for sale after 6 months. Im the 5th owner on mine yet I have had zero issues after 9 months and 13, 000 miles besides standard things that need to be done at its mileage (just rolled 105k..... ouch.... I like driving this thing way to much haha)

bmwade
July 5th, 2013, 03:14
I think I know your car from Autotrader (if you have a pics on a red drive-way) definitely looks and sounds like a well maintained and properly modified ride. At this point though I'd like to buy a stock one, as I really love to work on cars, and believe that with a car like the RS6, its more like starting a relationship with a supermodel, she looks great but there is a lot of personalization and acclimation which needs to occur to make her your own. Your car is really nice though, and is definitely priced fairly.

Yeah thats mine. There's always hotchkis sways, upgraded snails, and an 01E if you wanna make it your own lol

Codinc
July 5th, 2013, 03:31
Only thing I wanted to chime in on is the multiple owners thing, seams as though a lot of people get into an RS6 without looking into what up-keep is going to run them, so its back up for sale after 6 months. Im the 5th owner on mine yet I have had zero issues after 9 months and 13, 000 miles besides standard things that need to be done at its mileage (just rolled 105k..... ouch.... I like driving this thing way to much haha)

I hadn't thought about the high turnover rate with unsuspecting new buyers in regards to cost of ownership. You do make a good point. Also, I'm planning on making this my DD as well, and occasional Miller-Motorsports (local track) mistress, so I must find a specimen which has been well maintained and is warranty-able.

I've also been looking into buying a Vag-Com pre-purchase, and becoming comfortable with necessary parameters to be able to diagnose a potential catastrophe before making the decision. Any other ideas guys? Keepem' coming......

as350
July 5th, 2013, 04:46
Codinc, I'm in the process of moving from OR to St. George, UT over the next 4 months. My black/black RS6 is potentially for sale with about 59,500 miles, a K40 radar/laser system and HRE rims with brand new tires. It also has a Fidelity platinum exclusionary warranty that you could take over at cost. The car is in very clean condition. PM me if you dont' need an RS6 over the next few days.

DHall1
July 5th, 2013, 06:46
Some modifications are just proven basic needs that prolong the platform.

Proper ECU/TCU tune actually provide better a/f than factory tune which lowers egt and extends component life

Turbo back exhaust will also lower egt and reduce backpressure which can extend component life

Buying a car with documented repairs, maint and has always had extended service contract repairs with current coverage is like buying a RS6 still under factory warranty.

good luck on your search. Vagcom is your friend.

Other_Erik
July 5th, 2013, 12:35
Or you could buy a Dayton/silver with all that work already done, nice mods, half the miles, and a warranty for less than what it's gonna cost you to get the 25k car up to running decent....

Very true, and bmwade will be vouched for all over this forum, it's done _right_ with him. If it wasn't for the silver interior I would've been all over this at his asking price.

Good luck with the purchase, Codinc!

July 5th, 2013, 14:25
Codinc, Come on up to Park City if you want to drive an RS. Just got Thing 1 back from the trans shop. Also have Thing 2 semi apart still if you want to look at parts and pieces. Good luck with any purchase, I'd be happy to help any way I can. I had a PPI done on thing 2 and while I was satisfied with what I got, the PPI report was not as thorough as I hoped.

Codinc
July 5th, 2013, 16:09
Codinc, Come on up to Park City if you want to drive an RS. Just got Thing 1 back from the trans shop. Also have Thing 2 semi apart still if you want to look at parts and pieces. Good luck with any purchase, I'd be happy to help any way I can. I had a PPI done on thing 2 and while I was satisfied with what I got, the PPI report was not as thorough as I hoped.

Thanks for the offer 905084! I'll surely take you up on that sir, as it would allow me to understand the platform better! Btw, where did you get your tranny rebuilt? Streamlined Ind.? I'll PM you my
info.

DHall: I appreciate the insight on Mods, and agree with you. I had a B5 S4 for several years with Stage3, and pre stage 3, I had nothing but small problems. I was pleasantly surprised, needless to say,that after stage 3, no more issues, and or codes for 30k+ miles until she and I went our separate ways. I hear you on the VagCom, they are our best friends when it comes to this year of Audis.

Other_Erik: thanks for the insight. I agree bmwade's car is legit, and I'm fine with any color interior, just don't care for the red exterior if I can avoid it. (Luckily there aren't any for sale at the moment).

i really appreciate all of your help, keep the ideas coming please!

July 5th, 2013, 17:24
I had a quote from Streamline for $6900 last year for a trans. Mine got by for a year, then decided to get serious about having someone do my trans as I didn't have time to do 2. Called Streamline up a month ago, they quoted $9500....YGBSM....that's a nice way of saying "we don't want to work on your car". Called a bunch of local shops and no one either new what I was talking about or didn't have the determination to see it through. Had Randy's Transmissions in Grantsville do it. It wasn't without its hiccups, but $5900 out the door.

Codinc
July 6th, 2013, 06:10
I had a quote from Streamline for $6900 last year for a trans. Mine got by for a year, then decided to get serious about having someone do my trans as I didn't have time to do 2. Called Streamline up a month ago, they quoted $9500....YGBSM....that's a nice way of saying "we don't want to work on your car". Called a bunch of local shops and no one either new what I was talking about or didn't have the determination to see it through. Had Randy's Transmissions in Grantsville do it. It wasn't without its hiccups, but $5900 out the door.

Thanks once again 905084 for sharing some knowledge today, I truly appreciate it. This Forum is AWESOME! Lots of great helpful insight into the C5 RS6 platform and its ins and outs.

If anyone has any further info they'd like to share, please do, my ears are wide open.

lswing
July 6th, 2013, 07:14
Tozo trans rebuild for $3500, $2000 in labor from local indie shop that is very skilled.

For me, after putting $15k in the last two years (some mods), I'm really happy to have the color and interior that I wanted. Love the blue and black/carbon, even with a few scratches. Things will break on any car, get one that you're happy with to start. Cheers!

Codinc
July 6th, 2013, 16:48
Tozo trans rebuild for $3500, $2000 in labor from local indie shop that is very skilled.

For me, after putting $15k in the last two years (some mods), I'm really happy to have the color and interior that I wanted. Love the blue and black/carbon, even with a few scratches. Things will break on any car, get one that you're happy with to start. Cheers!

Definitely some valid points lswing. Now only if there were a Goodwood Green goblin on Autotrader which I could pounce on I'd be in business. (I remember seeing one out @ Porsche of San Antonio last year, but since then haven't seen another one) I'm always one to take his time and make sure all due diligence is done before purchasing a vehicle, so I will do like you said, look...wait...research....once something comes up...it'll be gone in 24 hours..

ttboost
July 6th, 2013, 17:23
It seems you are looking for anything? Do you have a color preference? Mod preference?

Codinc
July 7th, 2013, 02:31
It seems you are looking for anything? Do you have a color preference? Mod preference?

Color Preference in descending order: Goodwood Green, Mugello Blue, Daytona Grey, Black, Avus Silver. Mod preference: Preferably well documented stock car. Mild Mods such as TCU tune, wheels, and exhaust I'm fine with. I want a car that I can make my own, so any car with more than this previously specified list I would not be interested in purchasing as I plan to start with the cleanest slate I can.

stubro
July 9th, 2013, 19:07
I am considering selling mine, not sure yet, though I am all the way in Fla. Mugello Blue, 66K miles, second owner (I got it at 13k),fully documented, warranty through Aug 2013, BBS 19" rims, exhaust done, repalced DRC with K&M, swaybars, Revo chip, and I have the carbon front lip spoiler (not installed yet).

lswing
July 9th, 2013, 19:31
Which spoiler?

stubro
July 9th, 2013, 19:51
The carbon lip spoiler from Stephencl

Codinc
July 10th, 2013, 14:07
PM sent @ stubro.

DHall1
July 11th, 2013, 16:45
Any interest in selling the spoiler? I have one but would not mind having them on both cars.

I have owned my #1 since 20k. Could never imagine selling.

I am considering selling mine, not sure yet, though I am all the way in Fla. Mugello Blue, 66K miles, second owner (I got it at 13k),fully documented, warranty through Aug 2013, BBS 19" rims, exhaust done, repalced DRC with K&M, swaybars, Revo chip, and I have the carbon front lip spoiler (not installed yet).

Other_Erik
July 11th, 2013, 17:06
Definitely some valid points lswing. Now only if there were a Goodwood Green goblin on Autotrader which I could pounce on I'd be in business. (I remember seeing one out @ Porsche of San Antonio last year, but since then haven't seen another one) I'm always one to take his time and make sure all due diligence is done before purchasing a vehicle, so I will do like you said, look...wait...research....once something comes up...it'll be gone in 24 hours..

IIRC, there was a Goodwood on eBay not too long ago, research time...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Audi-RS6-Base-Sedan-4-Door-4-2L-/290936363061
81k miles, San Antonio, Solar Sunroof, GIAC chip, blah-de-blah-de-blah
Still available, recommend doing a Pre-Purchase Inspection first, costs 1hr labor whatever the rate is at the stealership ($115-139 from my experience)

Other_Erik

Codinc
July 12th, 2013, 01:22
Thanks Erik, I'll take a look.

vitalian
July 12th, 2013, 16:41
Beware the GIAC chip -- just ask DHall. If that car is still available, I would inspect the heck out of it, run VAGCOM, etc., then remove that chip.