PDA

View Full Version : Typical Battery or Alternator Post

Dmb408
June 21st, 2013, 16:36
So I am starting to get a little bit of movement in my volt meter needle, mostly while idling or off throttle. I'd say it is still above 12 but not holding constant at the 14 like you'd like to see.

I have read the other battery/alternator threads and see when it is the alternator, it tends to be the voltage regulator. This will sound really dumb, but is the voltage regulator easy to get to without fully removing the alternator like in the master DIY alternator thread from long ago? It would seem you would be able to get up in there and switch the regulator off the back? And is there any reason, I can't buy the voltage regulator off a site like partsgreek for about $32. It seems some discount parts sites charge about that amount, while as the more legit sites that we all usually buy from have the regulators for much more in some cases.

For background, I have 59K miles on the clock. Should I just do the battery proactively with the Optima (lighter one) that everyone likes. Have you guys had to do a bracket for that one?

Thanks as always!!!

Dmb408
June 21st, 2013, 16:40
Sorry, I meant Odyssey battery that everyone was going with, the 925.

4everRS
June 21st, 2013, 17:30
You can Not access the regulator with the alternator in the car. No chance.

It is possible to get the alternator out from the bottom, but you'll need to "customize" a 13mm (I think) wrench, for the motor mount removal.

Also, with the work involved in getting the damn thing out and back in, spend the 100 bucks on a Bosch regulator.

4everRS
June 21st, 2013, 17:33
Here's my custom wrench

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/motormountwrench.jpg

Dmb408
June 21st, 2013, 17:46
4ever, thanks a lot! I thought there might be an answer somewhat like that. I love the "customize" terminology.

Carado1984
June 21st, 2013, 18:10
In addition, Do that same trick to the open end of a 27mm wrench as it will make loosening the oil lines 100 times easier. The exact same bend as 4everRS posted. Take a look at how far you need to bend it first though before doing it because there's not much wiggle room. Trust me on this one. I was doing this two days ago. Also be careful when you loosen the serpentine belt to take it off of the alternator..Wnen you put it back on it will tend to slide off of the upper idler pulley.

LIRS6
June 21st, 2013, 19:23
I recently had charging issues, removed the alternator and replaced only the regulator (Bosch - $36 or so from RM European auto parts); alternator then tested fine and put it back in. Suggest not to wait too long - in my case the time from needle movement to complete failure was only a few days. I then got stranded, and the tow became the most expensive element of the repair.

bmlee007
June 21st, 2013, 21:00
Suggest not to wait too long - in my case the time from needle movement to complete failure was only a few days. I then got stranded, and the tow became the most expensive element of the repair.

From the moment my needle wavered, I made it just about 90 miles, which fortunately was exactly where my Indy shop is. Got very lucky that I was driving home instead of going away.