PDA

View Full Version : P0491 - air injection system

kismetcapitan
June 17th, 2013, 07:20
haven't posted in forever - there's truth in that a lot of people only post when things aren't perfect, and I haven't done anything but put gas in my car in ages.

got a CEL today and the OBDII scan reported a P0491 - AIR system blocked, bank 1. So it looks like a hose is kinked in the air injection system.

Which bank is bank 1 - driver's side?

Tracking this issue down shouldn't be too hard. But my question is more about *removing* the AIR system; is this possible without upsetting the ECU? Pulling the AIR system is something I've always done to previous cars and bikes (along with the cats), but I don't have plans to do my downpipes anytime soon (due to the labor involved).

alrightroad
June 17th, 2013, 11:26
Bank 1 is passenger. Removing the secondary air injection system/parts the ECU needs to be recoded or you will have a CEL.

ttboost
June 17th, 2013, 13:28
^^^ Yep & Yep...

kismetcapitan
June 17th, 2013, 15:43
alrighty then! time to hunt for a kinked hose; the error code said something about "insufficient flow".

ah, the Germans. On my 2012 BMW motorcycle, I removed the air injection, O2 sensors, and exhaust flap servos (2). The bike's fine...but my dealer told me all of these missing things were scanned during a routine service and then SENT to a BMW server in Berlin. I'm guessing new cars these days must be the same...