PDA

View Full Version : 1 peice front rotors.....

Travis
June 14th, 2013, 16:14
Almost forgot to ask you guys about this. When I did the wheel bearing last week I found myself confused as to why my front rotors are 1 peice, (first time removing a tire on this thing since I bought it last novemeber) they are, or "where" slotted rotors, in need of being replaced. Hense the question. Also there are 3 washers stacked up behind the caliper to (I assume) re-align the caliper with the rotor that is quite obviously not the correct one. Ive been trying to dig into this more though because the brakes seem to work great as is and im sure these 1 peice rotors are significantly cheaper, I just have no idea what there off of. Any idea what these rotors could have came on?

lswing
June 14th, 2013, 18:31
Stock rotors are one piece I'm pretty sure...and they ain't cheaper! Well maybe a little...

JHM and a few other companies make some nice looking two-piece sets.

LIRS6
June 14th, 2013, 18:35
Stock rotors are "floating" type - vented and drilled

mik15
June 14th, 2013, 19:35
stock are 2 piece rotors for the RS6, i guess you might have Phaeton rotors, those were 1 piece 365mm for the NA region, and 2 piece for the ROW...

alrightroad
June 14th, 2013, 20:45
True 2-piece rotors have hats and disks bound together by removable hardware and thus, 2 pieces. Our OEM rotors are 2-piece 'design' because they look like true 2-piece. However, our rotors are 2 pieces bound together by fixed hardware in manufacturing meaning that they are not seperable.

Travis
June 14th, 2013, 20:52
Ok, managed to get ahold of the previous owner, he *thinks* the front rotors where from an S6. Apparently it was that way when he bought it and never drove it hard enough to need new rotors so he never had to figure it out. Also apparently the rear brakes where completely swapped over to the large A4 set-up.... damnit. This is my first rs6 so I guess I didnt know what they should look like. Everything functions fine, and with a majority of the braking pressure being up front I suppose you wouldnt notice to much of a differance having A4 hardware in the rear. Glad I got a good deal on the car, I guess the second to the last owner didnt like paying 1, 500 for new rotors....

hahnmgh63
June 14th, 2013, 21:15
If they were from an C5 A6 then they are not 365mm. Maybe an A8? Can you measure how tall the whole rotor is? They should be about 14.4"

Travis
June 14th, 2013, 21:30
I will when I get home tonight. Oreillys has S6 rotors on hand so im going to compare those to. I think you might be on to something with the A8 thing though

Travis
June 14th, 2013, 22:42
Barrowed a huge caliper from work, the front rotors are 12.5". But now im more confused, wouldnt the upright have to be different to change the caliper position?

Elevens
June 14th, 2013, 23:09
Barrowed a huge caliper from work, the front rotors are 12.5". But now im more confused, wouldnt the upright have to be different to change the caliper position?

Are you sure? Stocks are 14.5" It would be unsafe to put such smaller Rotors up front. Why would any one do that? To save money, Stupid. Any way I would suggest you get the correct Rotors whether it be Stock or After Market. With these Heavy Powerful cars you don't skimp on braking. There has been a few times when I've had to bring it down from a 140-150mph Run in a hurry (Crazy, I know) and it's very assuring to know that your Brakes are all there.............

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 00:00
I know, im really not happy about this at the moment. They are most deffinatly 12.5", rears measure 10.5". I just dont know what it would take to get them back to 14.4". Im not sure where I would find the peices to do it, not exactly many of these in junk yards.

hahnmgh63
June 15th, 2013, 00:29
Here is what an RS6 brake rotor looks like. Are you sure you have a real RS6? Maybe silly but I can't believe someone changed out the whole brake system. Do you have pics?

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 00:36
Oh its diffinatly and RS6. I added a pic to my profile of the front brakes, the rims in the pic are the factory 18's for a size referance. And alright, I just spent the last 2 hours in oreillys comparing pics and dimemsions, they are S6 rotors front and rear, the calipers in the rear im not sure about, the front calipers are RS6. Honestly I kind of give the previous owner props for figuring out the swap, the brakes still work amazingly well. And considering regular (unslotted/drilled) S6 front rotors are only 65.00 a peice it would deffinatly save a lot of money on maintenance. Still wish I had the 14.4s but it could be worse I guess. Considering he could have gone all the way to base A6 brakes easier I guess I should be happy he went with S6

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 00:41
Oh its diffinatly and RS6. I added a pic to my profile of the front brakes, the rims in the pic are the factory 18's for a size referance. And alright, I just spent the last 2 hours in oreillys comparing pics and dimemsions, they are S6 rotors front and rear, the calipers in the rear im not sure about, the front calipers are RS6. Honestly I kind of give the previous owner props for figuring out the swap, the brakes still work amazingly well. And considering regular (unslotted/drilled) S6 front rotors are only 65.00 a peice it would deffinatly save a lot of money on maintenance. Still wish I had the 14.4s but it could be worse I guess. Considering he could have gone all the way to base A6 brakes easier I guess I should be happy he went with S6

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 00:42
Sorry, I cant post a pic onto this thread on my phone, you'll have to go threw my profile to see it

lswing
June 15th, 2013, 01:20
Somebody just posted a full brake set for sale....good luck!

Get that fixed asap, sometimes I want more braking than stock.

hahnmgh63
June 15th, 2013, 01:23
Specs for the C5 S6 brakes are:
Front, size and type 12.6 in. 321 x 30 mm - Ventilated disc
Rear, size and type 10.1 in. 256 x 22 mm - Ventilated disc

Specs for the C5 RS brakes are:
Front, size and type - Ventilated disc 14.37 x 1.3 in. 365 x 34 mm
Rear, size and type - Ventilated disc 13.19 x 0.9 in. 335 x 22 mm

If you are using those S6 front discs with RS6 calipers, even if centered over the rotor you may still damage and/or over extend the pistons if you run the pads all the way down as the S6 rotors are 4mm narrower than RS6 front rotors.

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 02:06
Specs for the C5 S6 brakes are:
Front, size and type 12.6 in. 321 x 30 mm - Ventilated disc
Rear, size and type 10.1 in. 256 x 22 mm - Ventilated disc

Specs for the C5 RS brakes are:
Front, size and type - Ventilated disc 14.37 x 1.3 in. 365 x 34 mm
Rear, size and type - Ventilated disc 13.19 x 0.9 in. 335 x 22 mm

If you are using those S6 front discs with RS6 calipers, even if centered over the rotor you may still damage and/or over extend the pistons if you run the pads all the way down as the S6 rotors are 4mm narrower than RS6 front rotors.

Thank you for finding this, well as of right now the front pads are far from gone, rotor is just heavily glazed and pads are pretty glazed to. Suprisingly the caliper is riding perfectly on the face of the rotor, one more part of the reason I never noticed this little issue till now. If this wouldnt have been my first RS I would say there would be no excuse for not noticing, but like I said its all new to me. Thanks for all the replies everyone, glad I got this kind of straightened out. And if anyone wants pictures for any reason, or just shits and giggles, let me know, im still impressed that someone actually made this work

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 02:10

Alright, who lives in new york that would want to go check this out for me? Im not sure if I trust humanity enough to send someone $1, 200 and hope they send the parts....

alrightroad
June 15th, 2013, 04:52

Where are you seeing the 'for sale'?

alrightroad
June 15th, 2013, 04:54
nevemind. I see them now.

SteveKen
June 15th, 2013, 04:55
From the pictures, the calipers appear to be the HP2 models from the S6 and A6. I was under the impression that putting the RS6 front brake calipers and rotors on the C5 wide bodied cars (S6 and A6 4.2) was plug and play. Therefore, the RS6 could be compatible with the HP2 calipers and rotors from the S6, but you mentioned that there were washers on the caliper mounting hardware???

Maybe someone used the rotors from a narrow body C5 car instead, since the hats of the rotors are taller on the wide bodied C5 cars???

Maybe you've got a set of brakes from a B5 S4 and maybe the carriers for the calipers aren't compatible???

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 06:08
There was 3 (standard thickness) washers between the caliper mount and caliper, the calipers (as far as I know) are stock RS6 front calipers. I picked up 2003 S6 rotors this afternoon and calipered them and they appear to be identical. Besides the fact that the rotors that are currently on the car are slotted and the ones I got from oreillys (strictly for measuring purposes) are solid. They seam to be the same, so for the time being im going to order some frozen rotors so I can race next month at powercruise until I figure out what I want to do about getting RS6 parts back on.

ttboost
June 15th, 2013, 14:23
When you measured them, did you check the depth of the "hat"?

hahnmgh63
June 15th, 2013, 17:08
Are you saying your going to put S6 rotors back on the car and then take it to the track or RS6 parts?

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 18:08
For the time being im going to have to put better S6 rotors and just live with it, I dont want to but my options are limited since I cant find any used calipers (fyi I was wrong, the front calipers are from an S6 also, so the whole brake system is from an S6) new calipers are 900 each for the fronts, havnt priced the rears yet. And yes im going to the track in about 3 weeks, im just going to have to take it easy, its not a race its just an open 3.8 mile road course. car is already registered and payed for, needless to say that was all set and done long before I realized someone messed with the brakes. If anyone has, or knows of someone parting out an RS6 please let me know, it would be greatly appriciated

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 18:18
Of course at this point in time im wondering if I shouldnt just do a C6 RS6 set-up instead. Either way its going to cost a whole lot more than I budgeted for brakes. And either way its not going to get done before powercruise (unless I find a nice c5 rs6 parts car to rip everything off of)

mik15
June 15th, 2013, 20:41
i am curious how the car will behave on the track with the S6 brakes, TBH i don't really think they will do too good, the stock ones struggle with the weight of the car on a track day so i guess the S6 ones will be done pretyy quick, good luck and be careful!

lswing
June 15th, 2013, 20:58
Of course at this point in time im wondering if I shouldnt just do a C6 RS6 set-up instead. Either way its going to cost a whole lot more than I budgeted for brakes. And either way its not going to get done before powercruise (unless I find a nice c5 rs6 parts car to rip everything off of)

Spendy, plus you need 19's i believe...

Travis
June 15th, 2013, 21:29
I actually just picked up a set of 19's from a friend for $300. 5 spoke OZ rims. The beast needs new tires before powercruise anyway so it was good timing. Has anyone done an C6 swap on here that could give me an idea on cost?

lswing
June 15th, 2013, 23:06
This is a good thread...Dave, you get yours yet?

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17213-390-x-36-mm-Rotors-what-is-the-requirements

Travis
July 1st, 2013, 04:39
Just wanted to give you guys a little update on the brake conundrum... ordered all new pads and rotors for an 03 S6, Hawk HPS pads and stoptech slotted rotors (great rotors for the price if anyone is curious) from autoanything.com. came to about $520ish total. Everything fit perfectly, however the odd part is (for those that have been fallowing from the beggining) the washers that were previously stacked between the caliper mount and caliper where no longer required, everything lined up perfectly without them. So im still not sure what the hell the old front rotors where off of but oh well. One question though, the hps pads didnt come with sensors so i left the plugs ziptied to the bracket the wires normally connect in and now my brake light is on (pad symbol, not the actual "BRAKE" light), can i just put a jumper in the plug to shut the light off or do i need to pull out the vag-com?. Also picked up a set of hankook V12 tires since I heard a lot of good things about them from this forum, we'll see how all the new goodies hold up on the track. Thanks again for all the helpful info everyone, very much appriciated

mik15
July 2nd, 2013, 19:58
i had the same issue with the HPS, because my old sensors were ok i wanted to fit it but i couldn't due to the location of the hole on the pad which interferes with those metal things that come over the pad so i did the zip tie which worked for a while then all of the sudden the warning light came on and i couldn't find a way to shut it off using VCDS...

Elevens
July 2nd, 2013, 21:13
Just wanted to give you guys a little update on the brake conundrum... ordered all new pads and rotors for an 03 S6, Hawk HPS pads and stoptech slotted rotors (great rotors for the price if anyone is curious) from autoanything.com. came to about $520ish total. Everything fit perfectly, however the odd part is (for those that have been fallowing from the beggining) the washers that were previously stacked between the caliper mount and caliper where no longer required, everything lined up perfectly without them. So im still not sure what the hell the old front rotors where off of but oh well. One question though, the hps pads didnt come with sensors so i left the plugs ziptied to the bracket the wires normally connect in and now my brake light is on (pad symbol, not the actual "BRAKE" light), can i just put a jumper in the plug to shut the light off or do i need to pull out the vag-com?. Also picked up a set of hankook V12 tires since I heard a lot of good things about them from this forum, we'll see how all the new goodies hold up on the track. Thanks again for all the helpful info everyone, very much appriciated

Glad it worked out for you. You've probably tossed out the old pads by now, but if you cut the plugs off them and connect the 2 wires together (shorted them) and then plugged them back into the brake pad sensor lines you would get no brake pad indication. As it stands right now, just somehow short out the lines. There is no way in VAG that I know of to defeat this. I had the V12's there pretty good. I guess you didn't read the posts on the Michelin PSS's though it's the absolute best tire I have ever had and I think that's pretty much Unanimous among all of us. Anyway good luck with the Car...................

4everRS
July 2nd, 2013, 21:14
Travis,

you have got to post a picture or two on this set up. I am having a tough time imagining what it must look like.

ben916
July 2nd, 2013, 22:07
I guess you didn't read the posts on the Michelin PSS's though it's the absolute best tire I have ever had and I think that's pretty much Unanimous among all of us.

Michelin PSS = Win!
'Kooks V12 = Fail! (ya pay for what ya get with these)

v8a6
July 3rd, 2013, 02:46

I wonder if the previous rotors were from a A6 2.7t. The A6 4.2 and S6 have the same size rotor size as the 2.7t cars using the HP2 calipers. However, the 4.2 based cars have a rotor offset unique to those cars. I think the 4.2 cars are 22.7 and the 2.7 are 16.7. So, if the washers look like they were about 5mm, then that is probably what happened.

v8a6
July 3rd, 2013, 02:47
Seems some of the later 2.7s had the 22.7 offset too

There are two different front braking systems for the A6 2.7T's. Audi calls them by code letters (PR-T7S & PR-T7Z). Since most Audi owners don't know which front brake system they have, we will give you information on the differences. The rotors themselves are the same size, the only difference is offset of the rotor hats. One of them has a 22.7mm offset & the other has a 16.7mm offset.

Travis
July 4th, 2013, 03:27
The amount of random knowledge floating around here is nothing shy of impressive...... and ok... I would say that the 5mm offset of washers was right on so the front rotors had to of been off a 2.7, that all makes sense now. As far as the S6 brake set-up goes everything is bolted on perfectly, looks 100% like its supposed to be there (hense the reason I didnt notice anything "off" when I bought the car, and since this is my first rs6 I really didnt know what I was looking for as far as brakes go, but yes I feel like a complete dumbass for it now) and for the hankooks; it was not my first choice, but I got yelled at by my mortgage company for "spending to much of my income on car parts and that if I want to buy a house in the next 6 months I need to save more" so out went the $1, 500 tires I wanted and in with the $600 ones with pretty good reviews that will get me by until I buy a house. Just in a bit of a hard spot right now having the rs6 and wanting to quit renting and buy a house while home values are down. Been wasting my time renting for far to long (im 24 incase any of you are wondering) and I will try cutting the wires off the old brake pads, still sitting in a pile with the old rotors in the corner of the garage at the moment. And I will try to get some pictures up in the next couple days, tommarow is my only day off this week and I'll be back to the sweet shop again friday and saturday