PDA

View Full Version : Help with muffled beeping noise...

Jaquarda
June 8th, 2013, 00:52
I noticed that when I turn off the ignition, sometimes there is a very low muffled beeping noise. It seems to be coming from the trunk area. Any idea what this is? Your help is appreciated!

alrightroad
June 8th, 2013, 02:19
More NSA tracking, geez. Kidding.

Is the beeping pulse or one solid beep sound? A VDO fuel pump can sound almost like a continous beep. almost like the squeal you would get when turning on an old faucet slowly.

Jaquarda
June 8th, 2013, 02:22
More NSA tracking, geez. Kidding.

Is the beeping pulse or one solid beep sound? A VDO fuel pump can sound almost like a continous beep. almost like the squeal you would get when turning on an old faucet slowly.

It's a pulsing beeping sound. Very faint.

alrightroad
June 9th, 2013, 00:28
I'm stumped. Can you be more precise on location? Do you have nav and sat radio options on your RS?

Jaquarda
June 9th, 2013, 01:15
I'm stumped. Can you be more precise on location? Do you have nav and sat radio options on your RS?

It has an after market Kenwood/Garmin head in it now. It didn't make the noise today. When it's made it, it appears to be coming from the trunk. Could it be the alarm?

Chung
June 9th, 2013, 16:48
Probably a watch just fell out of someone's bag :)

I really cannot think of anything that would beep back there.

LIRS6
June 10th, 2013, 22:25
It has an after market Kenwood/Garmin head in it now. It didn't make the noise today. When it's made it, it appears to be coming from the trunk. Could it be the alarm?

The alarm is a single "beep", not pulsing. Something to do with the gas tank line?? ... vapor return or such??

Jaquarda
June 11th, 2013, 00:18
Thanks for the help guys. It hasn't done it since the day of my post, so who knows? It's not doing it now!

Other_Erik
July 5th, 2013, 12:39
Jaquarda, see my thread about this same issue (You cross-posted to it yesterday).

Most definitely the gas tank venting due to thermal expansion. If you go for a long-ish drive and park the car, listen for the noise. If you hear it, pop your gas tank cap and it will disappear. Checked mine yesterday and confirmed this exact issue and resolution. The noise is normal, if a bit mystifying.

Other_Erik

Jaquarda
July 5th, 2013, 14:29
Jaquarda, see my thread about this same issue (You cross-posted to it yesterday).

Most definitely the gas tank venting due to thermal expansion. If you go for a long-ish drive and park the car, listen for the noise. If you hear it, pop your gas tank cap and it will disappear. Checked mine yesterday and confirmed this exact issue and resolution. The noise is normal, if a bit mystifying.

Other_Erik

Looks like the mystery is solved. Thanks a bunch!

Jaquarda