PDA

View Full Version : Radio Swap

Greyyork
May 15th, 2013, 19:02
I did a search but I didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to swap out that whole top half of the middle radio console with something newer. Don't get me wrong It's fine and I love it but I really want a nice touch screen. Any one have recommendations?:addict:

Dynmicracr
May 15th, 2013, 20:34
I installed a JVC AV70BT. Its nice because it has all the bells and whistles (uses Nav from an iPhone which stinks since I have since switched to Android), is affordable and has cool gestures for things like volume up and track advance.

bobbyrs6
May 16th, 2013, 02:45
I replaced my factory radio with a Kenwood DNX 9990HD touch screen
with built in Garmin Nav and I couldn't be happier.

I see that you are in Schweinfurt, Germany. Once upon a time, I was stationed
"right down the street" from you in Wurzburg.

Greyyork
May 16th, 2013, 04:59
Thanks for the replies I will look into both! I go to wurzberg almost every day. To bad They are shutting down Schweinfurt now.

Dynmicracr
May 16th, 2013, 23:55
Doing it again I would look into the Pioneer AppRadio2. Many of the bugs are worked out now and it seems to be a pretty good device.

formula1man
May 18th, 2013, 14:19
I also have a kenwood dnx and love it. I found that wiring it myself and not relying on an adapter worked the best (though perhaps there is a good one by now).

bobbyrs6
May 18th, 2013, 15:21
I also have a kenwood dnx and love it. I found that wiring it myself and not relying on an adapter worked the best (though perhaps there is a good one by now).

formula1man,
Were you able to use the "shark fin" to connect to your satellites? For some reason, the Stereo place
that installed my radio (as good as they are) couldn't get it to work and ended just installing the little magnetic "hockey puck".
I would much rather use the "shark fin" to connect to my satellite radio if at all possible.

bmlee007
May 18th, 2013, 18:52
formula1man,
Were you able to use the "shark fin" to connect to your satellites? For some reason, the Stereo place
that installed my radio (as good as they are) couldn't get it to work and ended just installing the little magnetic "hockey puck".
I would much rather use the "shark fin" to connect to my satellite radio if at all possible.

If you didn't already have satellite radio, you may want to check if you actually have the module installed. This is fresh in my mind because I added Sirius last weekend, but I'm still using the factory head unit. I won't guarantee that the factory cable will connect to an aftermerket head unit, but if you don't have the module in the trunk, the shark fin for sure won't work for sat reception.

Here is the writeup I followed...

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5/Audi.BarryStuff.com._Audi_RS6_C5_Sirius_XM_Satelli te_Radio_DIY_Install.pdf

I removed the whole trunk liner to get more access, but still was done in about an hour.

bmlee007
May 18th, 2013, 18:59
btw, here is the module I ordered...

http://www.europaparts.com/satellite-receiver-module-sirius-8e0057593.html

They are 90% off right now, same price as when I bought mine a couple months ago.

bobbyrs6
May 19th, 2013, 02:32
If you didn't already have satellite radio, you may want to check if you actually have the module installed. This is fresh in my mind because I added Sirius last weekend, but I'm still using the factory head unit. I won't guarantee that the factory cable will connect to an aftermerket head unit, but if you don't have the module in the trunk, the shark fin for sure won't work for sat reception.

Here is the writeup I followed...

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5/Audi.BarryStuff.com._Audi_RS6_C5_Sirius_XM_Satelli te_Radio_DIY_Install.pdf

I removed the whole trunk liner to get more access, but still was done in about an hour.bmlee007,

Hey thanks man. Yes my factory radio did have satellite radio but when the Car Stereo
place was installing my Kenwood radio, they said that they kept trying to use the 'Shark fin" but for
some reason it wouldn't connect so they went with the usual magnetic "hockey puck" satellite antenna. Thanks for the "install" pdf. I will see if they can make it work using this as a guideline.

Greyyork
May 21st, 2013, 08:33
So angry right now. Trying to order the JVC AV70BT, but Amazon won't ship to me.