PDA

View Full Version : Didn't pass smog check in California.

mrmister
May 14th, 2013, 07:18
So my car is labelled a 'gross polluter' right now. I can't drive it as they won't renew my registration until it passes smog. Can't sell it in California unless it passes smog.

Dealership says I need new catalytic converters. Parts around $2600, but labor is going to be 3-4k because they need to pull the engine to put them in.

Anyone have any other ideas? I have the eurocharged tune on it right now, stock other than that. I might pull the tune off and get a can of the stuff to help you pass smog, but I am not very optimistic about that.

Kind of a bummer as I have had the engine out 4 times already in the last 2 years. Mostly under warranty. New torque converter, new transmission, new alternator, new brakes, new belts, new DRC, new valve cover gaskets.....been an expensive couple years.

My other thought was to sell it to someone in a state that doesn't require smog checks.

StormFront
May 14th, 2013, 13:27
you have a PM :)

DHall1
May 14th, 2013, 15:40
Post specs on the car. miles, ect

What part of CA? location

You dont need to pull engine to change downpipes. May want to check with the guys at Raven if your socal

mrmister
May 14th, 2013, 16:48
Car is in San Francisco, CA.

111,XXX miles. No mods except eurocharged tune.

So you are saying I can pull off the stock exhaust and put on something aftermarket and not have to pull the engine?

lswing
May 14th, 2013, 17:31

So you are saying I can pull off the stock exhaust and put on something aftermarket and not have to pull the engine?

Yep, it's a pain, but someone who's done it before can be efficient at it...

I would first pull the tune and test again, that could take care of it...maybe.

ben916
May 14th, 2013, 17:45

Sounds like the tune...

034 Motorsports could possibly help with cats but AFAIK I have NEVER heard of a Cat/Pre failing on these cars...
IF that is the case, I have a set of DownPipes with stock Pre Cats/Cats still in virgin state... PM is interested.

DHall1
May 15th, 2013, 00:48
Yes, you can pull the downpipes without removing the entire engine/trans.

I would try a stock tune first and then determine if the downpipes need to be changed.

Going with a known good set of stock downpipes would be the answer to getting smogged.

Brav
May 15th, 2013, 08:58
i thought the precats were only to speed up cold start emissions? probably main cats. just get aftermarket and splice in. 800 all in.

ttboost
May 15th, 2013, 13:30
Not sure how the tune should affect this? I obviously don't know how they test cars out West, but I'd assume you're not tested under boost? Car witha tune should be "cleaner" at idle than before? Even up to 2000 RPMs' or so... Does it feel sluggish? Check all your vacuum lines? "Boost" leaks? What did it fail on?

JayB
July 22nd, 2013, 20:20
Bump from the depths...... any update on this?

mrmister
July 22nd, 2013, 20:27
No update. I have been out of town and haven't had a chance to deal with it. My plan is still to pull the tune, change the oil, get it really hot and go in to the smog check. If that doesn't work, well then I will either sell it, or take it to Alaska. The car runs fantastic.

Dynmicracr
July 22nd, 2013, 20:31
No update. I have been out of town and haven't had a chance to deal with it. My plan is still to pull the tune, change the oil, get it really hot and go in to the smog check. If that doesn't work, well then I will either sell it, or take it to Alaska. The car runs fantastic.

Did they tell you what failed?

Chung
July 22nd, 2013, 22:50
Does adding ACES IV or another additive help with smog?

lswing
July 22nd, 2013, 23:54
My guess is the tune was running rich, which they tend to do for the extra boost and timing, that can vary at idle depending on the fuel map...

G2
July 24th, 2013, 23:17

This may be far too late, but if you need a great service and performance shop check out Marin MotorSports in Greenbrae. Not too far past the GG bridge. Scott is the owner and knows his stuff, aside from being a stand up good guy.

http://www.marinmotorsports.com/index.htm

Being how fun the RS6's are to work on not sure if I'd recommend telling him who sent you! But tease him that it's a guy with a turbo Scirocco ;-)