PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav SAFE MODE issue - but seems to have correct pin? PLEASE HELP!!!

Lion Heart
May 3rd, 2013, 10:32
Hi guys

Got a new RS6 a couple of weeks back, and the head unit was stuck requiring the code.

Got the code from Audi, and entered it but it did not work. Three try's and it locked into SAFE mode with a message in German that says SAFE PIN DISCONNECTED.

So actually bought another used sat nav unit from eBay that came with the original manual and code, but I have the same issue.

I did a bit of research and it seems there is a SAFE pin on one of the plugs which needs a (I think) 5v permanent feed. They say you can loop it off of the power pin which is next to it.

This is the lower most of the three plugs, and if you look at the rear (the end with wires rather than pins) the power is top right, and the safe is next to it.

Ok, that's fine. BUT on my plug there is already a cable and pin for the safe pin!!!

In the image (this is the lower most of the three plugs, viewed kind of upside down unfortunately!) you can see the thick power cable which would be top right if you turned it over, and next to it is the SAFE cable - which is also red with a yellow stripe like the power cable - so assume it's a power feed also???

Note my car does not have all of the three plugs that are grouped together. It has the upper most, lower most (the one with SAFE) and also has the larger 20-odd pin one. So the middle of the three plugs does not exist in my car.

Not sure how to test if the SAFE cable is feeding 5v permanent power or not? I have a multimeter but no real idea on how to use it.

Should I just loop a cable off of the thicker power cale next to it anyway???

PLEASE HELP!!!

Lion Heart
May 3rd, 2013, 10:41
Oh yes, and here's the wiring instructions from the label on top of the sat nav unit.

You can clearly see SAFE pin in the lowest plug (the diagram is made upside down for some reason).

And these are the two plugs I have in my car:

And below is the rear of the unit. My plugs go in to the upper most and lower most of the three (I have no plug to the middle one).

On this, the SAFE pin is in the lowest of the three sockets, and would be second in from the right on the top row (i.e. top row two in from the fuse).