PDA

View Full Version : Tune and exhaust

dre
April 30th, 2013, 16:40
Now that all the codes are gone I would like to know what company's people on here are using for tuning/chipping? I saw that APR and ECS sells tunes for our cars,anyone else? Seems like they both sell the same exact thing. Also who sells a good sounding exhaust for our cars? Any youtube videos I can watch to get a idea of the sound? Or if someone on here has a exhaust on their car do you have a video of your car? Im looking to do some upgrading to the car and would like more power. Seems like a tune/chip and exhaust would be the right start. Anything else I could do? I really want this done before waterfest because I would like to race when I go there.

makaveli42
April 30th, 2013, 16:55
Contact rich@vipertuning.com best in my opinion for the price! I had a euro charge and it was crap and they didnt wanna work with me customer service wise. Viper does a TCU chip as well. If you can find some catless downpipes just get those. i want them but cant justify spending the money to have them put on!

dre
April 30th, 2013, 17:14
Where would I find the catless downpipes? What kind of benefits will I get? You mentioned about putting them in, is that something I can do myself? I dont need to drop the engine for this do I?

audiprotn
April 30th, 2013, 17:53
Here is an example of custom exhausts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnYH3JONkE

ttboost
April 30th, 2013, 18:07
EPL (European Performance Labs) in Stratford, CT. They do remote tuning too..no chipping.

ttboost
April 30th, 2013, 18:09
Where would I find the catless downpipes? What kind of benefits will I get? You mentioned about putting them in, is that something I can do myself? I dont need to drop the engine for this do I?

Most people get $1000 for catless downpipes. I think Milltek makes them. You can make your own too, just need the flanges. I think my catless downpipes got me an additional 20-30whp. You dont have to remove the engine, but you have to lower it a bit as you can't get to the upper bolts...

SteveKen
April 30th, 2013, 18:17
Here's what you get when there are no mufflers or resonators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuzmf4zY4tM

I think you should contact AMD and see if he's willing to do a tune for an automatic car.

ttboost
April 30th, 2013, 18:39
Pretty sure EPL tunes for AMD.

hahnmgh63
April 30th, 2013, 18:44
I've got the Milltek Catless downpipes and yea, they were about $1100 shipped from the UK. They sound great, are very good quality (Stainless of course), weight 11# less for the pair (no cats), and they are about 1/4" larger diameter than the stock pipes. Yea, they probably gained about 20bhp and add a slight increase in sound (in a good way), about the same noise at cruise, just slightly louder at idle and when you step on it.

lswing
April 30th, 2013, 19:11

You're new to this game eh? So, catless pipes opens up exhaust flow, turbos spool better, bit more power. You don't have to remove engine, but certainly move it some, and it can be nasty where the DP's bolt up, tough. I ran high flow cat's on my old wrx, not sure I like the extra emissions from removing the cats, plus you have to get the o2 sensor coded out with a custom tune. Are your exhaust tips silver or black? The black is SE which is a factory upgrade.

I thought I've heard good stuff about EC tuning...

As far as power mods, I really like the water meth, allows to run a bit higher tune for more power, and helps to cool in general.

makaveli42
April 30th, 2013, 23:58
Here is an example of custom exhausts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnYH3JONkE
OMG I want!!! Who did the exhausts????

dab
May 1st, 2013, 00:21
apr chip for ecu and triptronic. Great results for the price around 2k. APR chip has multiple modes, left foot braking and with the aces iv additive running at the 100 octane setting is such a smile inducing behavior. Almost like a new car.

I couldn't justify spending money on exhaust when it buys you 10 or 20 more hp.

audiprotn
May 1st, 2013, 00:27
OMG I want!!! Who did the exhausts????
I would say they are 3x louder in real life :D

Another Audi fellow, he owns an exhaust shop. Its located on the border of IL and IN (25 min away from DownTown CHI).
Let me know if you are interested and willing to make a trip.

makaveli42
May 1st, 2013, 00:44
I would say they are 3x louder in real life :D

Another Audi fellow, he owns an exhaust shop. Its located on the border of IL and IN (25 min away from DownTown CHI).
Let me know if you are interested and willing to make a trip.

For sure interested...I live just a little south of Indianapolis, IN. What's his pricing?

dre
May 1st, 2013, 04:27
Nope not new, just want to make sure I do this right. I dont want to make unsafe mods to the car and pay for it later, and we can all contest that our cars get pricey to fix. From what I`m seeing on here I have a good idea on who to contact. BTW makaveli42 that custom exhaust sounds freaking amazing! Whats the contact info for the shop where it got done? Is that custom exhaust with catless pipes? Any info on the exhaust you can give?

audiprotn
May 1st, 2013, 05:11
Nope not new, just want to make sure I do this right. I dont want to make unsafe mods to the car and pay for it later, and we can all contest that our cars get pricey to fix. From what I`m seeing on here I have a good idea on who to contact. BTW makaveli42 that custom exhaust sounds freaking amazing! Whats the contact info for the shop where it got done? Is that custom exhaust with catless pipes? Any info on the exhaust you can give?
where are you located DRE?

DHall1
May 1st, 2013, 05:47
Strong words to say Eurocharge tune is crap. Problems with customer service may be one thing but the actual tune is top notch. I have the data logs to show Eurocharge as one of the good tunes.

Eurocharge RS6 tune is good.
Viper tune is good and has the added feature of TCU and left foot braking.
APR tune is good with left foot braking and TCU chip.
EPL also has had good results.

I will leave it at that. Plenty of good choices.

kevin
May 1st, 2013, 12:21
What Mr Hall said. Plus I have a complete Milltek system on my car and love it. PM me for prices and other options like, tip color, resonators, etc.

dre
May 1st, 2013, 13:52
where are you located DRE?

I live in watertown, ct

dre
May 1st, 2013, 13:53
What Mr Hall said. Plus I have a complete Milltek system on my car and love it. PM me for prices and other options like, tip color, resonators, etc.

Hey kevin you have any vids of your Milltek in action? Would love to hear it.

dre
May 1st, 2013, 14:17
You're new to this game eh? So, catless pipes opens up exhaust flow, turbos spool better, bit more power. You don't have to remove engine, but certainly move it some, and it can be nasty where the DP's bolt up, tough. I ran high flow cat's on my old wrx, not sure I like the extra emissions from removing the cats, plus you have to get the o2 sensor coded out with a custom tune. Are your exhaust tips silver or black? The black is SE which is a factory upgrade.

As far as power mods, I really like the water meth, allows to run a bit higher tune for more power, and helps to cool in general.

Ive got the black tip exhaust tips. I didnt know those were a factory upgrade. Why do you ask about the tips? Some kind of performance upgrade? Or just for looks?

lswing
May 1st, 2013, 16:53
Special Edition, Sound Enhanced, something like that. More flow, I think, and better sound than silver sets. Perfect sound for me, but I was considering gutted DP's for the power gain and quicker turbo spool. Didn't want to deal with getting my tune changed to emit the O2 sensor.

Speaking of power, take a close look at your trans fluids. Not sure of your miles, but extra power can really finish off your trans. On my list of power upgrades...new trans and TC.

audiprotn
May 1st, 2013, 16:57
I live in watertown, ct
Shop is in IL

dre
May 1st, 2013, 17:06
Special Edition, Sound Enhanced, something like that. More flow, I think, and better sound than silver sets. Perfect sound for me, but I was considering gutted DP's for the power gain and quicker turbo spool. Didn't want to deal with getting my tune changed to emit the O2 sensor.

Speaking of power, take a close look at your trans fluids. Not sure of your miles, but extra power can really finish off your trans. On my list of power upgrades...new trans and TC.

I have a little bit over 95k on the clock right now. Trans still going strong.

dre
May 1st, 2013, 17:06
Shop is in IL

Whats the name of the shop? Contact info?

audiprotn
May 1st, 2013, 17:40
Whats the name of the shop? Contact info?
I can PM you his info, but he does CUSTOM work, he wouldn't be able to replicate mine or anyone else's exhaust

ttboost
May 1st, 2013, 18:10
I live in watertown, ct

Hey neighbor...
I have the sound enhancing exhaust, with complete catless downpipes (still have resonators and mufflers though) Sounds perfect to me. not too loud, but throaty when you get on it. NO drone...

formula1man
May 1st, 2013, 18:37
I have the LaBree downpipes and Milltek the rest of the way. I feel that this is the best as LaBree has the best Torque curve from what I have seen. Yes they are catless and Milltek has options for either way for the Catback portion. I have the MTM tune for the ECU and TCU and am looking at the ECU tune from Dahlback but it would need to have the upgraded turbos, intercoolers and head gaskets as well. Good luck!

makaveli42
May 2nd, 2013, 03:03
Strong words to say Eurocharge tune is crap. Problems with customer service may be one thing but the actual tune is top notch. I have the data logs to show Eurocharge as one of the good tunes. .

I ran over a full second faster in the 1/4 mile on the same gas and same temp at the track with Viper compared to euro charge, viper also has left foot braking. I know lots of people love Jerry and his tune, I'm just not one of them. Just my 2 pennies.

hahnmgh63
May 2nd, 2013, 03:29
If it is Apples to Apples then yes I would be happier in your case with the Viper tune, maybe Jerry, not knowing all of your mods was a little more conservative with Boost or Timing. Did you do data logs to compare them? I started with the Revo and modified it with Lemmiwinks/Unisettings to richen the curve up a little but when I went Catless and removed my SAI system I needed both coded out and went with Eurocharged, it was a bit of a toss up between EC & Viper but EC being stateside with the increased chance of International shipping nightmares (see the Unit 20 Group buy) I went with EC. Now I did get Jerry's tune and data logged it, asked for more boost which he supplied another tune, then asked for more and he supplied it, a little bit of grumbling on the 3rd but he did it. Now I can upload any one of the 3 tunes with the MyGenius and have no codes so I am happy with EC.
P.S. I also did a tune for my Cayenne Turbo S at the same time (520bhp SUV isn't enough) and they gave me a discount on both tunes to Ice the Cake.

makaveli42
May 2nd, 2013, 03:51
If it is Apples to Apples then yes I would be happier in your case with the Viper tune, maybe Jerry, not knowing all of your mods was a little more conservative with Boost or Timing. Did you do data logs to compare them? I started with the Revo and modified it with Lemmiwinks/Unisettings to richen the curve up a little but when I went Catless and removed my SAI system I needed both coded out and went with Eurocharged, it was a bit of a toss up between EC & Viper but EC being stateside with the increased chance of International shipping nightmares (see the Unit 20 Group buy) I went with EC. Now I did get Jerry's tune and data logged it, asked for more boost which he supplied another tune, then asked for more and he supplied it, a little bit of grumbling on the 3rd but he did it. Now I can upload any one of the 3 tunes with the MyGenius and have no codes so I am happy with EC.
P.S. I also did a tune for my Cayenne Turbo S at the same time (520bhp SUV isn't enough) and they gave me a discount on both tunes to Ice the Cake.

No mods, bone stock, I bought the car from a guy named Jerry who knew the euro charge Jerry and was the 3rd rs6 to ever get the tune. None the less I'm not trying to bad mouth them besides the customer service run around I got. Btw: cayenne turbo s's are bada$$!

DHall1
May 2nd, 2013, 04:56
Its good you provided some additional information. The first post was indeed bad mouthing Eurocharge when you simply say the tune is crap without any additonal documentation.

Drag times will differ greatly with the simple addition of left foot braking.
Not apples to apples.

Early Eurocharged tunes were suspect. Many on this forum provided lots of time and energy to correct and improve the Eurocharge tune to where it is today. Myself included. Eurocharged RS6 tunes are safe and well documented with plenty of room to add power. Its too bad they could not have gotten you a newer flash.

That said, Viper tunes are excellent but across the pond as others have stated.

Glad to hear your car is running well. Post up some drag times.

No mods, bone stock, I bought the car from a guy named Jerry who knew the euro charge Jerry and was the 3rd rs6 to ever get the tune. None the less I'm not trying to bad mouth them besides the customer service run around I got. Btw: cayenne turbo s's are bada$$!

dre
May 2nd, 2013, 14:06
Hey neighbor...
I have the sound enhancing exhaust, with complete catless downpipes (still have resonators and mufflers though) Sounds perfect to me. not too loud, but throaty when you get on it. NO drone...

Maybe we can meet up sometime? I`d like to hear your car and meet another RS6 owner. I haven't seen any around where I live. Monroe isnt too far of a drive for me. Let me know.

dre
May 2nd, 2013, 21:50

Ive been looking around and who would you recommend for a water meth kit (if there are even kits for our cars) for our cars? I`m going to be getting the car tuned and would like to be able to run a higher tune on the car. Did you use water meth on yours?

lswing
May 2nd, 2013, 22:21
Yep, I went with the DevilsOwn company, basic but good quality I believe. Applying water meth to our cars is very similar principal to applying to any boosted car. I plugged in two D05 nozzles (recommended spray amount at full for 4.2L V8) into each side of the y-pipe air intake, after the IC's. Biggest benefit has been ability to keep power on hot days, and some overall cooling, safer running higher boost.

There's Aquamist and Snow also, both good I've heard, just a bit nicer/spendier.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24230-Water-Meth-Kit-installed-and-running!?highlight=