PDA

View Full Version : Audi S8 BI-turbo in Brasil

Kram
November 5th, 2003, 14:59
Audi S8 Bi Turbo

I’m proud to announce the first S8 Bi-turbo in our club, and the first of the country.
The S8 is model 1999 with 340hp on original form.
The owner is one of the founders of Audi S Club Brasil and is a great enthusiast of Audi Cars. He has the S8 and Another A8 in his house.

In past events he run against RS4, RS2, S4 and even S3 and feel a lack of power in lower speeds (until 200km/h) but with good aerodynamics and a reasonable power, he could keep the pace above those mark against the RSs. However, maintain speeds above 250km/h for long periods are becoming difficult due to traffic, and high-speed acceleration is a must.

So, he started to think about increasing the power of his great car. Doing some research on the internet he only found one S8 Bi-turboed. Even though he didn’t left this lack of information affect his goal. He went to Herrera Motors, one of the best tuner in Brasil, and tell him his project and expectations.

In 75 days the car started with two turbos and all plumbing in place. In 90 days he was ready and in the 91th day, he smoked my RS2 (with about 340hp) from stand still to about 300km/h (20 cars ahead).

The car is running alcohol as fuel (available in every gas station in Brasil) and with only 0,3bar of boost has an estimated 450+hp. To accommodate the intercooler, new front and rear (only for combined visual) bumpers were made. Auto-meter’s fuel pressure and hall meter were added to the cabin.

The transmission is holding well the rise in power for a while, but some noisy is audible when the throttle is hammed and it power downshift one or two gears.

After some accommodation time (and learning), the boost will be set to 0,6bar and 550hp+ is expected.

Below, some pics of the car and the great Bruno Herrera and his Brother (the tuners).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p73530224acd9cfcae8fcb0c37c832726/faa09ed1.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p4dc929f82c014c3b2d8ddaf07a856a80/faa09ecd.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p8eb8e1b677edcfa5c382874ee45006bc/faa09eca.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p4eb2c6a49823871b6a9cdf4fb80c3418/faa09ec6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p952488e0cebbb98c86d17f26f719d36f/faa09ec5.jpg

Edit: I deleted previous post for Privacy and Protection. And I've uploaded the pictures into this post. Klint

These are some little movies of the car:
www.esferas.com.br/s3.mpg
www.esferas.com.br/s8-abrindo.mpg
www.esferas.com.br/s8-abrindo1.mpg
www.esferas.com.br/s8-freiando.mpg
www.esferas.com.br/golf+s3.mpg
www.esferas.com.br/s-marginal.mpg

And under construction, our club site:
www.audisclub.com.br

darkseid
November 5th, 2003, 17:09
S8 Bi-Turbo. :bow: :bow:

Pictures don't work btw.

Snow
November 5th, 2003, 19:51
INSANE!!

I admire the people who do these kind of things. Just pushing the limits... It sure looks amazing under the hood! :bigeyes:
Where's the drool-smiley? ;)

I haven't seen the videos yet, gonna take a look at them now.

Cheers! Thank's for the info and pics!

Klint
November 7th, 2003, 00:15
That is one decent car! Looking forward to the 550bhp+ pakage, as such. :D

Those S8s can be picked up for under £20,000 here in the UK and if the 550bhp+ kit becomes available, at a decent price, your talking about some serious Luxo power, that's also affordable!

Might be an option for myself in the near future...:D

It would be appreciated if you could keep us to date on the progress of the S8s tuning. ;)

:cheers:

Benman
November 7th, 2003, 05:51
VERY NICE:0: 3 months well spent for a truely unique Beast!:cheers:
Ben:addict:

chucklane
November 7th, 2003, 07:28
are you telling me that you didnt do anything to the tranny? I have an 02 S8 which after i get my sportec chips monday should be over the 400 range though i am hesitent to get the chips becuase of the tranny and would void warrente

Kram
November 7th, 2003, 13:31
I'll keep you in touch.

No problems with the tranny at all.:0:

It seens to learn the new changing points. The only tip is a device that modify the signal to the transmission due to overtorque. Before he put this device, the tranny becomes almost crazy, and "torque exceeded" error code becomes a constant.

They did tests with 0,6bar and the car spin all four tires at 50km/h:eek:

The alcoohol as fuel (almost 120octane equivalent) and its "coldness" permits a huge spark advance and they are working in a such of an inverted overboost. Its like mantain the toruqe to the maximum the transmission support all way until redline. Much less torque than the engine could produce, but hege power (550+).

All for less than US$10k

oswald
November 8th, 2003, 21:35
Originally posted by Kram
The car is running alcohol as fuel (available in every gas station in Brasil) and with only 0,3bar of boost has an estimated 450+hp.

I'm starting to love brasil. Every station has alcohol ? ;-)

btw, great project. That's the spirit!

Kram
November 18th, 2003, 13:16
Update

On Sunday night we did some tests with the S8TT against an ABT RS6 (complete, with exhaust and chip and 520hp). The pilot of the RS6 was no less than the cousin of Ayrton Senna.!!!!!

From standing start the S8 pull away about a car length. In the third to fourth shift the RS6 pass the S8, but maintain only one car ahead until 240km/h (max speed due to traffic). If the S8 accelerate first, the RS6 couldn’t catch it back. It was amazing because the RS6 almost only pass the S8 on changing gears (much quicker than the tip of the S8) and the S8 apparently start to close the distance in fifth gear. Unfortunily there was no space to do flat out top speed.

Remembering that the S8 is running only 0,3bar. Maybe next week the phase two will be activate. 0,6bar at redline!!!!!

dernawe
April 10th, 2005, 06:19
First off... Great job. It looks like its beautiful work. I have a 2001 S8, and I am looking to do the same thing to my car. Which turbo did you use? I'm just starting to look into it, any information would be cool. Have fun.

Mr Balsen
April 10th, 2005, 12:03
This is absolutely fantastic.

I am very curious about the conversion. In particular, the Twin Turbo but only one intercooler approach.

Is it possible to get more pictures ?
What about the kit with 98 octane fuel ?

Say hi to Junior for me.

Cheers from Paris,
Mr Balsen

Aronis
April 25th, 2005, 17:48
Any final pics with all the pretty parts back on the car??

Mike

Kram
April 26th, 2005, 02:53
Next week (Im not in home), I will post some pics of this S8tt against a cars like, Modena, Maranello, Gallardo, Scaglietti etc.

Funny Video of Audi Power!!!!:wo: :harass: