PDA

View Full Version : My RS 6 !!!

chasgreyrs6
April 23rd, 2013, 22:28
Hello Members:
I bought my 03 RS 6 from a forum member here in July 2011. Have driven her every two weeks to keep it fresh but have only accumulated about 3 k since ownership. Was contemplating selling it for the common reasons of high cost of upkeep and concerns regarding TC, Trans, DRC etc. I have tried to acquire the maintenance records from Audi dealer who maintained car it's whole life to no avail. Well, found some Extended warranty documents and just found out today my car had a new Transmission installed 26 K miles ago, complete DRC replaced within 10K miles and other items for a grand total of $ 22 K in repair costs covered by the warranty program since 2006. My car now has 125 K and hope she can go for a long time. What are the reports on engine longevity, Turbos, Intercoolers, etc that I should be aware/concerned about. Car runs like a brand new car and every time I drive it just cannot believe what a awesome machine. What synthetic oil do you recommend, Mobil 1 was oil of choice by previous owner. It has Rennworx 19 inch black rims/ Michelin Pilot tires, Lambo Sprint exhaust, any feedback would be much appreciated. I hope to love and enjoy my RS 6 till I am too old to care. LOL Thanks very much !

StormFront
April 23rd, 2013, 23:15
Post some pics! Good to hear it had already had the "trouble areas" addressed...

lswing
April 23rd, 2013, 23:47
Nice find, take good care of that tc and trans. One indicator for turbos can be the amount of oil buildup in lower IC hoses, maybe check every year? I've heard around 150k for turbos...engine 300-400-500k?...all depending. IC's will show leaking by oil buildup in lower corners, or performance issues.

mrdave
April 24th, 2013, 00:39
The engine itself seems to be extremely stout and as long as the turbos aren't abused you should be good for a while. Do you know if the TC was replaced along with the trans? If you have the TC, transmission, and DRC all sorted out, you should be set.

As for oil, different people have different opinions but BND seems to be a favorite around here.

mik15
April 24th, 2013, 05:21
welcome and we want to see pictures or it didn't happen :) ! I am pretty sure the the TC got replaced as well if they did the gearbox, being under warranty they probably used a GB from Audi and they come complete including the TC, so no worries for a good while from here on! I drive now mine as a second car and it gets driven during the weekend and it does feel fantastic, it's hard to believe that an almost 10 year old car can feel like that, when i was driving it daily i kind of lost that feeling as you get used with the power...

As for oil, i am using a 505.01 spec., Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5w-40, i am very happy with it!

chasgreyrs6
April 24th, 2013, 06:34
Hello:
Thanks for the info and appreciate the support. I plan on speaking with the dealer again tomorrow, first time around service rep told me they keep all records off site after two years. I am not sure if TC was changed out when new Trans was installed under extended warranty by dealer. The Audi rep today just stated new trans at a cost of $ 8800. It would be great news if Turbos were replaced at some point before 2006 (prior to 56 K) but doubt it. I imagine the Turbos are a big ticket item if they go out ! None the less still feel very fortunate the Trans and DRC were replaced. Car runs like a new car, and touch of gas pedal brings smooth power like a jet engine. Will post some new pics over the weekend, looks awesome with the Dolphin grey/off white with tinted windows and black Rennworx wheelset. Thanks again everyone !

ben916
April 24th, 2013, 18:31
... first time around service rep told me they keep all records off site after two years.

ah No.... the service records that Audi documents are on file from day one. When I purchased mine in Feb 2010, I went to Audi Miramar and spoke to George, gave him the VIN and I had 37 pages of service records, granted this was summary service records. This allowed me to plan for upcoming service intervals and maintaining the car.

Also, if you haven't already done so, call AoA and register with the "Flagship desk".

chasgreyrs6
April 24th, 2013, 19:26
Thanks Ben!
Well, the dealer who sold and serviced my RS it's whole life has been very difficult and did not even bother to call me back after promising they would. Claim after two years all records are taken off site. Calling them again, really need to find out when timing belt and other services were last performed. Thanks

chasgreyrs6
April 26th, 2013, 22:50
Hello Guys:
Well, finally obtained all the records back to 2004 ! I called the same dealer that sold and serviced the car it's entire life. I asked to speak to the service manager and left a pretty firm but respectful voicemail. The manager called me back within 2 hours and miraculously all records were in the computer and he took his time detailing all records with mileage and dates. Overall service maintenance was by the book and never missed a thing. Total expenses were surely astronomical. The DRC was replaced at 89 K and again at 113 K, new alternator at 84 K, rear differential at 57 K, new Transmission and TC at 99 K, engine and oil coolers at 89 K, new front rotors at about 115 K, various sensors etc over the course of its life etc etc. Timing belt services at 35 K, 70 K and again at 99K, car has 125 K on her now. Seems the Turbos are about the only major items that did not need replacing. Manager stated he has worked at Audi since 1986 and never has had to replace any Turbos. Going in on Monday for a Oil change and pre purchase inspection just for the heck of it. Thanks everyone for your help !

ben916
April 26th, 2013, 22:58
if that is Hy Octane's old car = steer clear...

ttboost
April 26th, 2013, 23:19
Yeesh..rough life...

chasgreyrs6
April 26th, 2013, 23:24
Hey Ben:
Previous owner was forum member "INI". Thanks