PDA

View Full Version : Tune with Leaking Intercoolers...

ssassc1
April 19th, 2013, 08:41
Hi Guys

O.K I'm very keen on getting a tune, but I have a RHS leaking intercooler....

Given I don't track the car. Drive it at WOT or thrash it... Do I really need to get the Intercooler fixed?

I'm not really after top end performance maybe just a bit more low end / mid range response.?

Thoughts?

hahnmgh63
April 19th, 2013, 09:41
In short the answer is yes. The leak will only get worse and a leak will first of all make your Turbos work harder to build the required boost up to the point to where they are overspeeding or just can't make the boost. This overspeeding of the Turbos will prematurely wear out the Turbos. Off the line Turbo lag will most likely be increased to some degree as it will take longer (will vary depending on the size of the leak) to build the requested boost. Fix the leak before you get a tune. Getting a tune with a higher requested Boost will only work your Turbos harder.

mdegracia
April 19th, 2013, 13:03
If you fix the leaking IC, you probably won't need a tune after that, since you aren't looking for performance. Tune = performance

makaveli42
April 20th, 2013, 01:25
dude get them fixed for sure! I'm still in the process of fixing mine. when i first pressure tested them, I couldn't get them to hold more than 3psi!! my tune is running 15psi! i sealed them once and they now hold 20psi but it still sloooooowly leaks. so i am going to seal them one more time then throw them back on. should make a heck of a difference considering I couldn't even run the 15psi that I'm supposed to be running!

April 20th, 2013, 02:37
$5 worth of JB Weld, $700 for new cores, or $2000 Wags.

makaveli42
April 20th, 2013, 04:19
$5 worth of JB Weld, $700 for new cores, or $2000 Wags.

2-3 tubes depending of anount of leakage. Sooooo $10-$15. Lol.

lswing
April 20th, 2013, 05:10
Never at wot? Good god man, you don't have to floor it. I achieve a bit of wot daily thanks, reason I like this car:)

I would fix the ic's for sure, helps a ton. Then get a tune, will give you more kick across the throttle...

ssassc1
April 20th, 2013, 08:20
Never at wot? Good god man, you don't have to floor it. I achieve a bit of wot daily thanks, reason I like this car:)

I would fix the ic's for sure, helps a ton. Then get a tune, will give you more kick across the throttle...

haha.. yeah I'm a bit easy on it :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Will get a tube of this magical JB Weld stuff and have a go at fixing...

What if I find I have a leak towards the center of the intercooler? Is the JB Weld soft enough to be able to be pushed in between the cooler fins and maintain a good seal?

Cheers, John

ttboost
April 20th, 2013, 12:44
You will likely only have a leak where the cores attach to the end tanks..fairly easy to get to. Keep us posted.