PDA

View Full Version : Need input ref shocks replacement

LIRS6
April 18th, 2013, 16:22
So ... years ago I replaced the DRC with Stasis-Ohlins .... BUT .. they leak as well, and need occasional re-charging, which is a pain. So I'm considering just replacing them, maybe with KW3's or Bilsteins or such ... looking for some input from the forum. As guidance; I have 127k on the beast, it's my daily driver, and I can't find a good reason to find a replacement car, so I expect to have it for at least another couple of years. I don't track it, but I am a "spirited" driver.

Your suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

jason

ttboost
April 18th, 2013, 18:25
Do a search here for H&R. They make a coilover as well, that some here are using with success.

audiprotn
April 18th, 2013, 19:17
I've only had experience with stock, WORKING DRC and H&Rs.

Nothing compares to a properly working DRC (comfort wise), but i love my new suspension, and the car sits pretty low. At first, i didn't like it, but after two alignments (springs were settling down) i love it.

If you can afford KW/Pss9, go with them, simply because they are dampening adjustable as well.

ben916
April 18th, 2013, 20:46
If you can afford KW/Pss9, go with them, simply because they are dampening adjustable as well.

The stasis are $4k + $100 yearly rebuilding maint per side...

I have driven "special sauce" before it was "sauced" and it was on 20" rims and had the KW's on it = difficult to tell with the 20" undercutting the KW's effects.
I have driven John's RS with hotchkis and PSS9's = tight new car feel and feedback

I really am pulled to the versitility of the PSS9's with the dial-a-ride but then the "set it and forget it" on the KWv3's also are attractive...

DHall1
April 19th, 2013, 06:40
If you can budget the KWV3s then go for it. If you have stock sized 18s or 19s the ride is a dream.

If you want to budget a quality set of coilovers for 1200 then go for the H/R A6 4.2 set. Many on the forum have these with excellent feedback. (I have not driven a H/R car)

I have driven a PSS Bilstein with stock tires and felt the ride was too harsh. .02c

I finally swapped KWs in my #1 RS6 and I was pounding the table after the install. Why oh why did I wait so long. ;)

If RS#2 ever needs struts I may try the H/R coilover kit. #2 is just the daily for me.

So ... years ago I replaced the DRC with Stasis-Ohlins .... BUT .. they leak as well, and need occasional re-charging, which is a pain. So I'm considering just replacing them, maybe with KW3's or Bilsteins or such ... looking for some input from the forum. As guidance; I have 127k on the beast, it's my daily driver, and I can't find a good reason to find a replacement car, so I expect to have it for at least another couple of years. I don't track it, but I am a "spirited" driver.

Your suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

jason

grizz
April 21st, 2013, 10:53
PSS9'S All day long .. As above fit and forget .
The H&R Kits are a Bilstein damper with a H&R spring , Bilstein do the B14 ( PSS ) Kit thats the same sort of cost .

Both are very good as a entry level kit .

LIRS6
April 22nd, 2013, 19:04
Thanks to all for your replies/comments. I'm leaning towards the h&r's due cost. Will f/up and throw in my $.02 thereafter.

ttboost
April 22nd, 2013, 19:16
Interested to hear your results...