PDA

View Full Version : Getting new car need advice

AmuleTT
November 5th, 2003, 05:45
Hi all,
I am posting for the first time on this forum, in hopes of getting some realistic opinions. I currently drive a chipped 01 225 TT roadster that I will be giving back toaudi,and am trying to decide what to get next. I have narrowed it down to three and need some advice:
1) RS6 - can I even still get one, and are they selling for stcker, or higher
2) S4 - Is it still fun even though there are no turbo's
3) Get another 225 TT, not going 300hp b/c I need a stick ifI get another TT, and I can do the downpipe chip , fmic, and exaust and be fine.

A bit of background on me, I drive fast and constantly am in competition with my friends in thier M3's (I am an ex-M3 driver), and race both on big courses (lime rck, Mt Treblanc) and auto cross.

Thanks for yor advice and opinions
Jessica aka AmuleTT

rs6w
November 5th, 2003, 06:06
You may still be able to find RS6's around but you'll have to search.

If you're used to playing with M3's etc the new S4 might be your ticket. But from the sounds of things it has some of the same teething pains that the last M3 had.

TheBrit
November 5th, 2003, 08:33
Good question.

As you are used to the surge of a turbo engine, a chipped up TT would be common and familiar ground, but of course the whole point may be to have a change. I think the TT (especially the roadster) feels a lot faster than it actually is. I was lucky enough to borrow a (stock) 225 roadster with the Recaro one-peice bucket seats for a few days and once you got wedged in the seat, it was quite good fun to throw around, even though it's actual performance wasn't going to set the world alight. I seriously considered buying it for a fun car.

The RS 6 has a great 'shove' under full throttle, unsurprisingly, but it is a little bit big and front-end heavy if you're going to play with nimble cars like the M3 on the track. It will need driving quite differently to a TT to avoid understeer. The nice thing is that to an extent, that motor can wind back anything you'd lose through the tighter corners, and it's OK through faster sweeping bends IMHO. Of course, there's also the fact that it's an auto - some people just don't get on with them, although I think it's the sportiest auto I've driven.

I think the S4 is quite 'chuckable' on the back roads, so I guess it would translate reasonably well to the track, but being normally aspirated, it requires a bit more stirring of the gearbox to keep the revs nice and high to get some good results. Well driven, and kept right up in the peak power band, an S4 will keep up with an RS 6 on very twisty back roads (think idyllic country lane) fairly well if the RS 6 can't get too many straights to pull away on. You might find it quite a good step up from a TT, although the driving feel and style is slightly different due to the different handling the Torsen-based quattro has over the Haldex-based one on the TT.

Whatever you choose, they're all nice cars with a good mixture of comfort, speed, safety and luxury - it's just what percentage each car has of what in the mix!

Erik
November 5th, 2003, 09:04
They are quite different these cars, to say the least.

1.8 to 4.2 liters... :eek: not to mention size.

I voted S4 as I guess that size would fit you.
The V8 is really nice since it offers instant power and a lot of torque, it is also easy to toss around. A larger car will not give you the same feeling of control, that's my experience.

iconcls
November 5th, 2003, 11:52
I say B6 RS 4, but it sounds like you can't wait for that.

B6 S4, but you seem to like tuning and there are the problems rs6w alluded to:
The List (http://www.dejong947.com/AudiTracking/audi_tracker.asp)

RS 6, but not the best track car; although, Champion Racing seemed to fair well. :)

TT can also feel a bit pudgy for track work and maybe time for a change.

Dang, you're in a bind. What about an STi or Evo, assuming, you can get over all the non-Audi aspects of those.

TaTaPiRaTa
November 5th, 2003, 12:28
I voted RS6, because it is unique car and realiable tuning is available.

But after viewing this video:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=16195#post16195
you might consider purchase of M3 CLS to compete with your friends :)

Finnus
November 5th, 2003, 14:37
Jessica,

Last I checked with my Audi dealer, 2 RS6s were available at MSRP.

Langon Audi
(518) 783-5003

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

John Quinlan
November 5th, 2003, 15:01
Jessica,

If you decide you want an RS6(you can't go wrong with the beast), S4 (which is so much fun to drive with 6 speed manual) or how about the new TT 250 double clutch? (it is awsome) Let me know, I can get any of them. Thanks.

J.Q.:addict: :s4addict: :ttaddict: :bunny2:

nene
November 5th, 2003, 15:03
Due to your tracking background I'd not recommend the RS6, not in stock form that is.
You will burn through brake pads and rotors very quickly.

Go with something cheaper and still fun. Enjoy your hunting!

Bauer
November 5th, 2003, 16:11
I agree with much that has been said already. If you plan to track the car regularly I would say the S4...it is more of a track car then the RS6. I dont think the TT is fast enough in its current form for what you are looking for, IMO. The RS6 is a great car but probably not the best track car...I am unfourtantly not speaking from experiece just from what others have said. I will found out Nov 17 and 18 as I will be tracking the RS6. Whatever you decied....good luck and have fun:cheers:

jgun81
November 5th, 2003, 16:22
I also owned M3, and I guess
the answer to your question depends on
how you play with your friends
track or drag race kinda stuff?
if you like to play with your friends in track,
then you'd better get s4 or TT.
However, if it's drag race kinda stuff, I would
suggest RS6.
I think M3 is more fun to drive, but RS6
is just an amazing car...