PDA

View Full Version : Soooo I'm attempting to referb my ICs and replace hoses with wagners when... BAM OIL!

makaveli42
April 13th, 2013, 22:51
I am in the process of trying to fix my leaky intercoolers. I have the drivers side removed after fighting the aux radiator for 1/2 an hour.

But i am having a few concerns...maybe newbie questions but idk.

first...i have the wagner hose kit and it comes with 3 hoses per side. i only removed 2 hoses (upper and lower)? lol where is the 3rd hose??

and my main concern is that when i removed the lower hose a ton of oil came pouring out!!!!!???? i know thats not good! does that mean my turbos are shot or on their way to being shot?

i attached some pics of my progress and concerns.

btw: if my turbos are toast, how do i prove it to the aftermarket warranty people in order to get new ones?

thanks for any input and help you guys can give me!!!

ttboost
April 13th, 2013, 22:59
The 3rd mystery hose looks like it's for the compressor housing to the plenum. These are both up against the bell housing. Probably not going to get to it with the engine or transmission in the car.

kevin
April 13th, 2013, 23:14
That amount of oil isn't unusual. Proceed!

makaveli42
April 14th, 2013, 00:23
That amount of oil isn't unusual. Proceed!

really? i was freaking out when i saw it! I didn't think any oil was supposed to be in the hoses?

mdegracia
April 14th, 2013, 01:18
6 hoses are standard. The 7th and 8th that connect the turbo to plenum are not included in the wagner or venair set!
you should be able to see where the 6 hoses go.

ttboost
April 14th, 2013, 01:22
Then it must be for the intake to the compressor housing...

..or the hoses that are easily accesible from underneath...

hahnmgh63
April 14th, 2013, 01:54
The lower IC hose connects to a short aluminum pipe on either side and if you look back up on the aluminum pipe you will see the extra hose on either side. It connects to the Compressor outlet. That is a normal amount of oil. Some companies with Turbo cars including Audi & Porsche recommend the hoses to be removed and the inlet track drained and cleaned at regular intervals. I pull my lower IC hose at every oil change (having a lift is convenient) and I use up a can of Brake cleaner that I spray up into the IC and let drain/evaporate to get a bit more of the oil out.

makaveli42
April 14th, 2013, 03:10
I'm glad I don't have to worry about the oil! Makes me able to sleep to ought knowing my turbos aren't bad! And I have 6 hoses. Not 8. But all I can see and have easy access to is the upper and lower ones that I took off when removing the intercoolers! Not sure about any others. I don't have a lift so I can't view and reach too much.

April 14th, 2013, 03:41
Helpful tip...take the aux rads out with the intercooler by taking the lower front fender support off first. Will save you a you lot of broken plastic pieces and a lot of headaches. Think "how would Dieter do it" when you work on these.

mik15
April 14th, 2013, 05:30
here's a picture of the 3rd hos on each side, 6 are all of them as far as i could see with the engine out...

4everRS
April 14th, 2013, 13:20
Don't forget about these. (Red arrow)

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/3863C6D5-B8E3-4D28-BC62-E773C06D5424-17065-0000050AFE88D93B.jpg

mdegracia
April 14th, 2013, 14:38
^ yup, those are the 7th and 8th, but they are not included in either the Wagner or Venair kits.

makaveli42
April 14th, 2013, 14:51
Helpful tip...take the aux rads out with the intercooler by taking the lower front fender support off first. Will save you a you lot of broken plastic pieces and a lot of headaches. Think "how would Dieter do it" when you work on these.

Too late...drivers side is it 3 pieces which isn't too bad, but passenger side one is shattered! Lol

makaveli42
April 16th, 2013, 03:59
**update**

neither IC could hold more than 3psi!!!!!! I put a quick layer of JB weld on and now they both will hold up to 15psi but the leak out if a corner in each one and once I stop pumping air into them they slowly leak out the pressure. So they are drying out right now and will try again tomorrow! Gonna keep trying until they can steadily hold around 20psi. My tune is running about 15 so I figured 20 would be a safe place