PDA

View Full Version : German shop help

Greyyork
April 13th, 2013, 10:56
I live in Schweinfurt, Germany. I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience with a reputable shop anywhere in Germany, that would be able to do a EGT replacement and I guess an O2 sensor replacement along with it since I'm told to knock them both out at the same time. For a good price? Thanks for the help!

DHall1
April 13th, 2013, 14:33
Can you run the car up to Unit20 in the UK?

Grizz would do the work while you wait. Really he could knock this out in his sleep.

I would drive the round trip miles in a second knowing that Grizz would be doing the work.

Also, since most of the owners here are in the US we can really speak for shops in Germany. The RS246 forum may be a better Euro connection for a local shop

I live in Schweinfurt, Germany. I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience with a reputable shop anywhere in Germany, that would be able to do a EGT replacement and I guess an O2 sensor replacement along with it since I'm told to knock them both out at the same time. For a good price? Thanks for the help!

DHall1
April 13th, 2013, 14:36
Also, have you considered just driving the car as is? I assume you will be back in the states at some point. If the car is not defaulting in limp mode and you just have a egt code....a consideration if you cant make it to Grizz. Its not hurting anything

Greyyork
April 13th, 2013, 14:46
Yeah I'll be back stateside in 2 years when I finish up my tour over here. I know it's not hurting anything but the check engine light is so annoying. Is there anyway to completely turn it off? I mean I can reset it and make it go away but a day or two and its back. I also heard a rumor that at a higher speed it will limit your power? Some guy probably just talking out of his ass. Did some research that didn't turn up anything. The UK is a bit of a drive..but I am going to be making trips there so I might plan around that.

DHall1
April 13th, 2013, 14:52
Given the horror stories about shops. I would not risk screwing up my car to let some monkey jockey work on it.

Take the car to Grizz. He is a legend among RS6 owners. Literally

Let him do whatever he wants to your car. It could be in no better hands in the whole world. Take it.

Yeah I'll be back stateside in 2 years when I finish up my tour over here. I know it's not hurting anything but the check engine light is so annoying. Is there anyway to completely turn it off? I mean I can reset it and make it go away but a day or two and its back. I also heard a rumor that at a higher speed it will limit your power? Some guy probably just talking out of his ass. Did some research that didn't turn up anything. The UK is a bit of a drive..but I am going to be making trips there so I might plan around that.

ttboost
April 13th, 2013, 14:54
Do you have a bad EGT code? It's not in limp mode? Interesting...

kilian tuning
April 13th, 2013, 14:56
try this forum...:http://www.rs-quattro.de/

DHall1
April 13th, 2013, 14:58
BTW, my mount code came back and car did not limp mode yet. I think certain conditions need to be met in order to trigger. I will be replacing the mount soon anyways.

Do you have a bad EGT code? It's not in limp mode? Interesting...

hahnmgh63
April 13th, 2013, 15:00
You might want to try MTM, probably about a 2.5hr drive for you There about 45min south of Nuremburg on the A9, just north of Audi in Ingolstadt. I've had a tour of their facilities and they are immaculate, and they do C5 work from Diesels to RS6's. Or just give them a call at 0841981880, Roland Mayer is the owner and if you haven't heard of MTM they are the Audi kings in Germany and ask them for a quote or a recommendation up North by you, their has to be some good shops around Frankfurt.

ttboost
April 13th, 2013, 15:08
BTW, my mount code came back and car did not limp mode yet. I think certain conditions need to be met in order to trigger. I will be replacing the mount soon anyways.

I agree..just some early morning ball breaking... I have had a left engine mount code since I got my car. Promptly ignored it for over 2 years.(I have sinced replaced both engine mounts) About 4 months ago I got a bad EGT code...along with my engine mount code..still no limp, but I also had SAI issues, which SOMETIMES caused me to limp..crazy car. I have since coded out EGT's and SAI...no more limpy for me...

To the OP... sound advice here..find any of the aforementioned shops and you will be fine.

hahnmgh63
April 13th, 2013, 15:17
P.S. If your down that way and haven't been to the Audi Museum I highly recommend it, it's Awesome.

Greyyork
April 13th, 2013, 15:23
Okay I'm going to admit. I know more about cars than your average human being but you guys are loosing me. Please teach me lol. I'm also going to throw out there. I've always been a muscle guy. I'm completely new to foreign cars, so it's going to take me a minute. What is this Limp mode you're talking about? Also MTM is the place to go huh? Yeah nuremberg isn't far at all maybe 45 minutes going conservative speeds.. I'll give them a call thanks for the info.

ttboost
April 13th, 2013, 15:35
If the ECU detects anything it doesn't like, from the myriad of sensors on board...it will limit the cars power until the problem has been addressed. These problems could be MAF issues, lean issues, over boost issues, etc...If the car detects ANY of these types of symptoms, you will be running at 3 lbs of boost until you fix it. This is called "limp mode". It will get you home or to a shop without leaving you standed, but it doesn't trust you to keep your foot out of it...

DHall1
April 13th, 2013, 15:41
If you have not already.

Buy a Ross Tech Vag Com

Asap

A must to have if you own a RS6.

Okay I'm going to admit. I know more about cars than your average human being but you guys are loosing me. Please teach me lol. I'm also going to throw out there. I've always been a muscle guy. I'm completely new to foreign cars, so it's going to take me a minute. What is this Limp mode you're talking about? Also MTM is the place to go huh? Yeah nuremberg isn't far at all maybe 45 minutes going conservative speeds.. I'll give them a call thanks for the info.

Greyyork
April 13th, 2013, 15:45
So would an EGT sensor fault be one of those things the ECU flips shit about? I've only had the car 2 months and I noticed a difference in power a couple of days after the light came on. Still "fast" but it's not its normal fast it seems.

ttboost
April 13th, 2013, 16:11
It's been debated here, but not confirmed. As was said, get Vagcom. Do some logs...fix your EGT sensor and log again. That will tell us.

Greyyork
April 13th, 2013, 18:40
Okay I'm going to order one online from ross tech. They sell several different versions with subtle differences, anyone in particular?

hahnmgh63
April 13th, 2013, 19:30
Here is the link but you've probably already been looking: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/interfaces.html
For the price I would spend the money and get the Hex-Can USB, it is software upgradeable to stay current for sometime to come. If think you'll stay with Audi or even VW then you might as well get it.