PDA

View Full Version : Replace turbos without engine out...

kilian tuning
April 11th, 2013, 15:48
The ''Fast n Loud'' way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnA2cPO-pjs

audiprotn
April 11th, 2013, 17:54
Very impressive

Brav
April 11th, 2013, 19:09
Nice. Maybe I will leave my trusty turbos in for now then :D

ttboost
April 11th, 2013, 23:47
Very nice!!! But not too much more work to have the engine out though!!! This is good to know if you don't have the height to work with...

I also learned that you can take out the whole K frame like you did, and just let the engine sit on the front mounts... You can reach a LOT of stuff just doing that...

4everRS
April 12th, 2013, 00:11
Very nice!!! But not too much more work to have the engine out though!!! This is good to know if you don't have the height to work with...

I also learned that you can take out the whole K frame like you did, and just let the engine sit on the front mounts... You can reach a LOT of stuff just doing that...
Do you support the engine somehow besides? Or just let the trans supports do the work?

ttboost
April 12th, 2013, 00:20
Transmission mounts are part of the K frame. Everything will hang on the engine mounts, but I wouldn't do it for long with the transmission hanging on the back. I put a jack under the transmission to support it while disconnecting everything. Once the transmission is off/out, engine will sit on it's mounts with no support just fine. Removing subframe free's up a lot of space...especially with the teeny weeny 01E up there...

4everRS
April 12th, 2013, 00:59
Good info. I want to guy my DP's. When Pat and I did this last time, we used a transverse bar from the top. This sounds easier.

Can you lower it quite a bit to gain access to the turbo studs?

ttboost
April 12th, 2013, 01:08
Transverse bar works too, but this is easier...I think you can lower it enough to get turbo studs...it will be close..but it looks like you can get 'em...if you still have trans up there, support that too...

4everRS
April 12th, 2013, 03:48
Might give that a shot.

Ya, we swapped the DP's with the bar on top. It drops surprisingly far. I bet a good 6 inches. Pat has a big ass extension, like 3 feet. Stick a swivel on the end and a 13mm (I think), turn hard, and pray you don't strip it.

ttboost
April 12th, 2013, 12:07
If you have the tranverse bar, you might get it down lower..not sure. I let someone conveniently borrow mine when I needed it the most...so I had to improvise...worked OK...
Now as I think about it, we actually DID take the passenger DP off, so yeah..it's doable...