PDA

View Full Version : Billy Boat exhaust, input?

G2
April 10th, 2013, 04:47
Anyone have some personal experience with Billy Boat exhausts? They've been around a long time and seem to have a solid reputation especially with the Porsche crowd.

Some good vids on youtube.....
Reasonable prices and they ACTUALLY make an RS6 exhaust :mech:

hahnmgh63
April 10th, 2013, 08:50
I do think B&B make an excellent exhaust. I have one of their exhaust on two of my Porsche's but the one for the RS6 is the one APR sells and is the quad round pipe exhausts. Doesn't look good through the rear valence.

G2
April 13th, 2013, 03:29
I do think B&B make an excellent exhaust. I have one of their exhaust on two of my Porsche's but the one for the RS6 is the one APR sells and is the quad round pipe exhausts. Doesn't look good through the rear valence.

Would the look of the quad pipes prevent you buying it? Or is price a factor too?

hahnmgh63
April 13th, 2013, 09:11
Looks and looks for the price are both factors. For the same price you can go Milltek which gives a choice of resonated or non-resonated and sound great. Still an Oval although tastefull larger diameter Oval than stock and Milltek is definitely a known source that stick to German High performance cars. You can get Milltek for the same or less if you go direct through the UK. If you haven't already, I would start with gutting your Pre-Cats as a minimum (still passes emissions) or if emissions isn't a factor go Catless, either gut all four stock cats or go with Milltek Catless downpipes which are about 1/4" larger diameter than stock and slighly smoother bends than stock. A few of us here have went the Milltek downpipe route, I got mine delivered for about $1100 and the exchange rate may about the same or slightly more favorable now. And going Catless sounds good without a lot of extra noise.

P.S. Because I'm using the stock Sound Enhanced exhaust with the Milltek downpipes which as I said are approx. 1/4" larger diameter you can slip fit the stock exhaust into the Millteks and it's fairly tight (Stock O.D. to Milltek I.D) and just use two bandclamps on each pipe.

G2
April 14th, 2013, 18:11
I had a full Milltek resonated system on my S4 V8 and it was excellent, I agree. Just a bit spendy-- seems there's more on the market nowadays to choose from. Seems Milltek is tops for pricing from what I've come across.

Even tho' we don't have emission testing in our area, because of the HUGE increase in pollution w/o cats, will keep them. And to avoid dealing with an uphappy ECU that's looking for stabile post 02 readings. No doubt, it can be curcumvented, however.

Otherwise good info, thanks.

kvicen
April 15th, 2013, 17:57
If you gut the cats will it throw a CEL? Also do you have to retune it?

G2
April 15th, 2013, 23:21
If you gut the cats will it throw a CEL? Also do you have to retune it?

Any OBD2 car will set a DTC P0420 or similar w/o cats. German cars are finicky and may go into limp mode and w/o a tune.

Street cars shouldn't pollute more than necessary, the hydrocarbon PPM count is typically 100X+ more. Meaning one car is polluting as much as 100 cars. Older cars can be about 1,000X more. The exta 1% power isn't worth creating more acid rain!
....just my 3 cents there.

Bigglezworth
April 16th, 2013, 00:45
I wish that Tubi made a direct bolt-on exhaust for our cars....

G2
April 16th, 2013, 05:04
I could imagine the cost, but it would certainly be pretty looking....