PDA

View Full Version : Scary Driving Encounter Yesterday

cruzanrs6
April 9th, 2013, 04:41
OK so now I am "freaked out" with the intermittent (what appeard to be the Yaw Rate sensor issue). I'm driving the fam to dinner last night, cruising along 55- 60 on a fairly congested freeway when all of a sudden the cars starts, shuddering, power loss, braking and pulling hard to right (the ESP and ABS lights flashing). Fortunately no one next to me. I managed to make off to the shoulder. Car still running but stopped in park - both ABS and ESP lights still on. Turned off the car, restart, lights go off. I disengage the ESP and drive off slowly. MAde it out and back (ESP off). Had my wife or someone else been driving or a car next to me when this all happened, it could have been MUCH worse. I will scan it for codes and suspect the yaw rate sensor code. It has glitched once before, but not as violent. Should I just replace the Sensor (under the rear seat)? A new one is about $700 + (on Eaby < $100 for used). Do I need to look into the ABS unit or seomething else ? I've read stories on the internet with others having similar experiences - seems Audi really did not do much - other than get it fixed. You know that taking the car into the stealer can really hurt the wallet, especially for an electrical issue (chasing Gremlins). I would REALLY appreciate any tips, comments, etc , that you can provide. For now I'm driving the car with ESP off (I sure hope this will disable the system) until a permanent fixed is in place.

Regards - Scott

lswing
April 9th, 2013, 05:13
Dang Scott, was just chatting about you. Do you remember my story of complete sketchy shutdown on the freeway last year? Bit different, was accelerating with cruise, at about 80 car shuts down, all lights on dash, no throttle, car shaking at 1200 rpm or so, sketchy! After pulling over, restart and fine since...throttle body, abs sensor, or cruise stick they say....it's some serious bs when that happens, easy to have an accident. Good luck man!

G2
April 10th, 2013, 03:48
I haven't heard of that one, but seriously not funning or safe. Generally speaking disabling the ESP does not turn off the ABS. But I'd think it would prevent the Yaw sensor from causing issues- if that's all it is. I'd almost being thinking it's more ABS sensor related (being that you were driving straight). I've replaced ABS units, but only because they were stuck from not being used.

Hope you get it sorted out asap. Please post a follow up, too.

lswing
April 10th, 2013, 04:49
Brake pedal sensor? Here's some info from my thread last year. Car has been fine, well except for a new trans, and I haven't touched cruise since...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24729-Something-popped-car-shut-down-doing-85-yikes!-Cause?highlight=

April 10th, 2013, 04:54
Just made my wife read that as she drives Thing 1 regularly....thanks!