PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on arrival of my RS6!!.......First Post.

DST
April 8th, 2013, 00:01
Greetings -

I am anxiously awaiting arrival of my recently purchased '03 RS6 (Avus Silver Pearl, Black/CF interior, SE exhaust, 64k miles), from the Seattle area. It's been on a barge inside a shipping container for the last 10 days, delayed by a storm as they headed across the Gulf of Alaska. Supposedly landed this weekend. Can't wait to receive the car - should be Monday or Tuesday. I'll post a few photos if I can figure out how (new to forums).

I was looking to upgrade from current DD - older Subaru w/ 211k miles. In my research for a newer subaru, I checked other alternatives for an AWD, 4 door family car that will safely and comfortably carry the family (wife and 2 kids) such as A4/A6, Allroad. I came across a local RS6 for sale on CL and started checking into it.....hmmm this looks interesting....then I drove it!!!! AWESOME........My fate was sealed. :love:

I casually floated the idea of the RS6 to my wife ...."it is really safe with traction control and has front and rear air bags, I can get home from work faster, etc, etc." she saw my excitement right away and luckily supported the idea - she says hasn't seen me this excited in a long time. It was just a question of which one and further research. I now have a 3 ring binder 2" thick full of my research info tabbed by category - (I can't help it, I'm an engineer).

After looking around CL on the west coast, and looking/driving a few, I found a very clean RS6 in Everett, WA on CL, well cared for, 64k miles, recent timing belt/pulleys/crank seal/WP/T-stat, adjustable A-arms, new summer tires, transferable warranty (National Warranty, $0 deductible, 27 months/34k miles remaining). The seller was a great guy to deal with - definitely went out of his way to assist with my purchasing remotely (I was able to test drive during a SEATAC airport layover). I had a dealer check it out pre-purchase - found only a couple things 1) noisy driver-side front wheel bearing 2)valve cover gasket - weeping oil 3)transmission pan gasket - weeping. Discussed with Nat Warranty - they said they would cover these items. So I figured paying extra for the optional warranty transfer was a no brainer (esp after reading here).

Ben916 checked the VIN, it was new to the list. (Thanks Ben for checking and providing a pre-buy inspection list a few weeks ago).

There is a local indy shop here in Anchorage - apparently there are 6 or 7 RS6's in the area. The owner of the shop has an RS6 and loves it, a great guy, he provided helpful input in my selection and let me know what I'm in for ($$ maintenance), in addition to what I learned here.

My Plan - After spending some time to get to know her, I'll start making a few mods - not planning on major performance upgrades at this time (maybe later, esp. if trans has problems) - it will be my DD so I want it to be (fairly) reliable.

Immediate Plans:
Oil and filter change - Redline oil purchased, need to find a filter and plug gasket (from dealer??)
VagCom - purchased, waiting on shipment
Bluestar/costar - purchased, waiting on shipment from Keith Bloom
Repair items (covered by warranty)- wheel bearing, valve cover gaskets, transmission pan gasket (will do trans fluid/filter change at this time also)
Winter tires - 255/40T/R18 Blizzaks purchased, still need winter wheels

Considering:
Sportec air vent mod - anyone in northern climates done this mod? I'm concerned about snow/winter muck getting in there/on the belts, etc. Confirmation of winter performance would be great (I'll post the question under the sportec thread). Some input on actual winter performance would be great. I sometimes have to drive through unplowed deep snow before plowing/snow blowing (typically 8" or less) We don't get hotter than 75F in the summer normally so this mod may not be that important here in AK, but still, cooler = better.

Autostart - considering doing this before winter. She be garaged during nights, but autostart is great for cold days heading home from work. Sounds like a few here have experience with this - I'll have some questions as it gets closer.

This is a great forum - I love the RS6 community here and I've learned an incredible amount about the awesome Beast in the short amount of time. I'm sure I'll learning much much more over the years and getting to know you all.

What's that I hear in the distance........a train?

JSRS6
April 8th, 2013, 00:45
Well you've definitely done your research. Welcome to the forum and queue Randy...

i have the viper(directed) remote start that works with iPhone. Range of keychain is about 1/2 mile LOS, range of iPhone is worldwide. Works great.

na1mt
April 8th, 2013, 01:16
Welcome to the club!

MaxRS6
April 8th, 2013, 01:50
Great story and first post!

Welcome aboard the...

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?

4everRS
April 8th, 2013, 03:10
Welcome DST to one of THE best audi forums.

Randy, how are you finding the time to make posts. 6 working days to vacation time!

April 8th, 2013, 03:11
Enjoy the ride!!

DST
April 8th, 2013, 03:25
Well you've definitely done your research. Welcome to the forum and queue Randy...

i have the viper(directed) remote start that works with iPhone. Range of keychain is about 1/2 mile LOS, range of iPhone is worldwide. Works great.

Yeah I saw you had the Viper in another thread - I did a little internet digging on Viper, I like the ability of an iphone app. However, I found there were a lot of scary stories of poor install/service from Geek Squad (messed up electronics after install, couldn't fix it right). Which is my biggest fear - the autostart install screws up factory electronics somehow and they don't work right after install and are nearly impossible to fix. I plan on checking into local installers rather than rely on the Squad, but the system looks pretty good.

Did any electrical gremlins appear in yours after your install? I read that you have to unlock, autostart then relock. Is that because you didn't get an extra FOB for under the dash (to disable immobilizer) or is that just how the Viper works on RS6s?

JSRS6
April 8th, 2013, 04:47
Yeah I saw you had the Viper in another thread - I did a little internet digging on Viper, I like the ability of an iphone app. However, I found there were a lot of scary stories of poor install/service from Geek Squad (messed up electronics after install, couldn't fix it right). Which is my biggest fear - the autostart install screws up factory electronics somehow and they don't work right after install and are nearly impossible to fix. I plan on checking into local installers rather than rely on the Squad, but the system looks pretty good.

Did any electrical gremlins appear in yours after your install? I read that you have to unlock, autostart then relock. Is that because you didn't get an extra FOB for under the dash (to disable immobilizer) or is that just how the Viper works on RS6s?

No gremlins, I guess. Every once in awhile when I remote start, it will start, shut off, start, shut off. Not that quick, it'll run for a minute. It's rare though. Unlocking, then starting is because of the immobilizer. There is an immobilizes defeat box that has a wire that they wrap around the ignition cylinder inside the steering column. They put the key half inside the box so that when you do unlock either with the key fob or the app, the car thinks it has a key in the ignition so it CAN start. It just goes with the territory.

Erik
April 8th, 2013, 07:34
Hi DST and welcome to the forum.

We like pics :) please get a camera and start uploading once you can ;)

DST
April 11th, 2013, 04:54
Hi DST and welcome to the forum.

We like pics :) please get a camera and start uploading once you can ;)

Thanks for the welcome party guys.

I received my RS6 on Monday - very happy. One word, AWESOME. Incredibly fun to drive. I wish I had a longer commute to work...... I find myself making excuses to run errands just to go for a drive. :jlol:

The only problem is the weather - been snowing a lot, must be pretty close to 24" since Monday. The RS6 takes it all in stride - no problems at all, the AWD and traction control are great. I hate that it's getting so dirty so quickly though. Summer will be here soon.

Here's a photo.

mik15
April 11th, 2013, 05:10
she's a beauty, looks just like mine :), enjoy it and take good care of it, it's a great car!

ben916
April 11th, 2013, 17:51
DST, did you get some Blizzak on before the transport to AK?

lswing
April 11th, 2013, 18:28
Looking good there in the snow, welcome. You get summer in AK?...just kidding, sorta.

DST
April 11th, 2013, 18:47
DST, did you get some Blizzak on before the transport to AK?

I have them in the garage but not mounted. Funny story - I brought a set of Blizzaks back with me as "luggage" on the airplane for free (2 "bags" allowed per person for free, wife+2 kids+ myself). I put each tire in a plastic bag and saved a couple hundred on shipping this way :hihi:, as shipping charges to Alaska are very high. I got a few strange looks heading through the airport with 4 tires and 4 suitcases and the desk clerk had to call her supervisor to check that it was OK (I had previously called ahead to verify). Luckily my wife is very understanding. It worked great, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alaska Airlines clarifies the fine print in their luggage policy.

I didn't expect all this late season snow were getting up here - but the Michelin PS are handling the ice and snow very well......should be melting soon. I am planning to keep the PS on through the summer and getting a set of winter wheels to mount the Blizzaks for next winter use.

And yes we do have great summers, they're just kinda short. But you gotta love 21 hrs of daylight in the summer.

BigD2500HD
April 11th, 2013, 19:01
Congrats!!!!! Just got My '03 Rs6 Last Friday!!! 71k on the Odometer.

bmwade
April 12th, 2013, 01:55
There is a local indy shop here in Anchorage - apparently there are 6 or 7 RS6's in the area. The owner of the shop has an RS6 and loves it, a great guy, he provided helpful input in my selection and let me know what I'm in for ($$ maintenance), in addition to what I learned here.

So half the population of AK have RS6's? I kid. But still that's a lot for a small area! Do y'all have an Audi dealer? It's nice you have a shop where the owner is on the train, should mean great service!

also welcome!

DST
April 13th, 2013, 23:53
So half the population of AK have RS6's? I kid. But still that's a lot for a small area! Do y'all have an Audi dealer? It's nice you have a shop where the owner is on the train, should mean great service!

also welcome!

Ha Ha. Yes we do have a local Audi dealer, and no we don't live in igloos (I've actually had people ask me that).

Updated Alaska RS6 count - apparently including my RS6, there are now 9 in south central Alaska area (population about 300,000), or one for every 33,333 people. If there are about 1,200 in the US (?), then that's almost 8 times what should be the average density. Interesting.

Is there anyone else located in Alaska on the board?

DST
April 16th, 2013, 06:46
Congrats!!!!! Just got My '03 Rs6 Last Friday!!! 71k on the Odometer.

BigD2500HD- Congrats to you as well, sounds like you got a real nice one also.

We're on the 'train together now.....hang on and enjoy the ride.