PDA

View Full Version : excited about some parts I got :)

buster0984
April 7th, 2013, 20:50
Hi All!

just felt like posting up since i treated myself to some new parts in the last week or so. what i have coming is:

-New set of Wagner Intercoolers w/carbon fiber shrounds, aux cooler brackets and 6 piece silicone hose kit.
-FMU air intake system.
-2 garrett gt3076r turbos (for my long term build), externally gated and .83 a/r with 4 both T3 flange and 3" v-band exhaust side.
-custom work i'm having done right now...just dropped the parts off to have them done last night!

-full stainless steel tubular exhaust manifolds with external wastegate v-band pipes. going to be using a T3 4 bolt turbo flange.
-have the intake and exhaust ports gasket matched

I'm have a local guy doing all the work, he specializes in building custom twin turbo set up, cages, frame rails, exhaust and pluming. right now he has an 88 Porsche 951 that he custom built the front frame rails on and rear subframe. has a corvette LS engine in it with twin 62xx precision turbos. he built both intercoolers and the radiator by hand as well as all the plumbing and intake manifolds and fuel rails. custom build a gas tank as well. long story short he said it should be running around 1200 hp all day long and that is on pump gas with all the emissions stuff still on it!!

I can post up some pictures once it all arrives and/or is finished being fabricated and built!! he will also be doing turbo inlets for me as well as my whole exhaust system once the project is must further along.

haha just needed to post up since i'm sure you all know how exciting it is to get some new parts.

ttboost
April 7th, 2013, 22:48
Congrats on your project. Where are you located? Is this going in a automatic car or a stick car?

buster0984
April 7th, 2013, 23:45
i'm in the central PA area, and it's going to be a stick car. i have an extra 4.2 block from an s6 so i can bold a 6spd right up to that. or use steve's kit for the rs6 block. either way it's going to be stick. i don't think i could fit the turbo's in there with the auto transmission, and if so it would be VERY tight.

right now the car is in 100 pieces and i'm working through everything. it was stolen and recovered missing a whole lot of parts.

ttboost
April 7th, 2013, 23:54
Gotcha..I see. Yes those turbos would never fit with the stock trans. I had every intention of doing turbos when I did my conversion. Time and money prevented it...With custom headers, still tight, but will fit, if you're careful when you fabricate...not a lot of room in there..
You're at an advantage being that close to Steve...wealth of knowledge in this area...

buster0984
April 8th, 2013, 00:08
i know he has helped me out already.

plus i'm very lucky that some of the best fabricator/builders in the tri-state area are within 1 hour of me. even better they are small places so they have great service and go the extra mile for you! another advantage...really good shop rates. also when it comes to engine builds and what not it helps to do as much yourself as you can (if you are capable)...really drives the costs down.

ttboost
April 8th, 2013, 00:29
Yep.. I do everything myself..except the tuning...

bmlee007
April 8th, 2013, 00:54
i'm in the central PA area

How central PA are you? I'm around there also (when I'm home). Maybe we can have a fun run when you get everything back together.

buster0984
April 8th, 2013, 04:04
How central PA are you? I'm around there also (when I'm home). Maybe we can have a fun run when you get everything back together.

state college huh? I'm up there alot as we have football season tickets...

I'm down in the Harrisburg area. project is starting to more along but it going to be a slow going process. we just had our first child (a boy) about 8 weeks back so my time is spent a lot with the family :)

plus we are going to be looking for a new house soon, so i figured right now would be a good chance to take care of things that i don't plan to do myself. things like the headers, gasket/port matching, cleaning the heads, cleaning and decking the block as well as reconditioning the cylinder since i'm pulling pistons to put h-beam rods in, also considering going to 12mm studs. but when i get it back on the road i'll definitely be up for that.

I'll probably start a thread down the road when things start happening that are a little more interesting haha.

alrightroad
April 8th, 2013, 17:45
Sounds like a decent build going on there. Good luck. I'd love to see pics of the exhaust manifolds when they are done. (tracking)...

bmlee007
April 9th, 2013, 01:15
^^^ I'd like to see those manifolds also when you have them.

My mom lives in York and I have customers in Harrisburg so I get to that area a few times a year. I'm planning for import weekend at Carlisle in May, even if your car isn't together you should come on over. Last year I didn't get to spend much time there because of work, but there were a couple other guys (steveken and mdegracia iirc), maybe this year we can all get together at some point. There was a pre-show ACNA get together on Saturday last year at Sun Motorcars in Mechanicsburg, hopefully they'll do the same again this year.

buster0984
April 9th, 2013, 22:58
don't worry i'll post them up when completed. the guy building them said it takes about 2 weeks or so to build a set since he has to get the stainless pipe and flanges in. he also builds his own collectors and has the capability to design and lazer cut his own flanges as well.

I plan to go to the carlisle show in may, i have some plans that weekend but i should be able to make it down there...after all it's only like 25 min from where i live and 15 min from my work.

the guys at Sun Motors are awesome, they go the extra mile all the time and really know what they are doing, at least in my experiences with them. once they actually sat on the phone with my for 45 minutes looking at wiring diagrams when i retrofitted an auto dimming rear view mirror in the passat from an audi.

Car definitely won't be done by the show i probably won't even have the block back by then. i've decided (after alot of debating with myself) to send it out and get it Nikasil plaled, i just have to source a torque plate so i can do it.

speaking of which...Does anyone know of a torque plate i can either rent or borrow?

thanks in advance.

buster0984
April 18th, 2013, 12:57
a small update.

I got the wagner IC's and silicone hose kit in. also the FMU intake in in my garage as well now. Picked up a Tial 38mm MVS v-band wastegate to go with my other MVS since i need two now. Turbos have been ordered and should arrive this weekend i'm hoping...I got the 3076R with .82 a/r with 3" v-band outlet and 4" inlet with a T3 undivided flange. Also stainless headers on moving along, the pipes just came in the other day but it will be another 3 weeks or so until they are finished. We couldn't locate a set of header flanges so the shop drew them up in CAD based of the heads and sent them out to be laser cut out of stainless (take about 2 weeks for them to be cut and picked up).

4everRS
April 18th, 2013, 15:04
Congrats on the awesome project. Keep us updated.

This will be great.