PDA

View Full Version : Driver upgrade - Driver Schools (split thread)

JP4
November 4th, 2003, 12:51
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Dang. Where did the picture go? Try again...

Go fast.....you R da man! A beautiful stable for sure with over 1000 bhp total!

BTW- after 2400 miles and 3 driving schools L8R I'm still very much grinning from ear to ear. Schools attended this fall: Audi @ Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI), Audi @ Heartland Park (Topeka, KS), BMW @ Gateway International Raceway (St. Louis, MO). It rained all day Saturday at the BMW school and the RS6 kicked some serious butt on the wet track.

Took delivery in late Aug. Daytona Gray, sound enhancing exhaust, NAV, summer package, carbon fiber, cross drilled rotors (std in USA), clear bra, smart tire system (hard wired), forged alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (265/35/18) for track use only, 4 point harnesses for 2 front seats that can be hidden away when not on track.

jimmy94507
November 4th, 2003, 15:25
JP4 - Wow, 3 schools attended in your RS 6! Sounds like ...you R da man ...with so much track seat time! How are the brake pads holding up?

regards, jim

JP4
November 4th, 2003, 15:52
Originally posted by jimmy94507
JP4 - Wow, 3 schools attended in your RS 6! Sounds like ...you R da man ...with so much track seat time! How are the brake pads holding up?

regards, jim

Jim,

I'm beginning to feel very connected to the RS6 on the track. It's very responsive and with the massive amount of torque on the low end it's not usually necessary to rev the engine very high. There are usually a least a few people that come up to me afterwards and comment about how awesome the car sounds when it passes them. This is from M coupe, M3, Porsche Carrera, 3 series and even Vette drivers. Even the folks at the start finish line on the main straight-away enjoyed listening to the RS6 roaring by at about 125 MPH. I was able to hit 110 mph on the main straight IN THE RAIN and break relatively hard for the first corner without even getting into the ABS with great results. Rain tires are SP9000's.

Brake pads.....they're slightly less than half worn after 3 schools and no signs of chunking or other heat damage like I use to get on the A6 4.2 brakes. The rotors are holding up much better too than the 4.2 rotors. Very little visual ware on the rotors. The additional brake bias to the rear is quite noticable vs the 4.2 as they are sharing much more of the braking duties with the front brakes. I'm quite satisifed with the brakes overall. As others have mentioned earlier Audi changed to a better pad that seems to have greatly improved the brake performance over the original pads. I've already flushed the brake fluid once.

The engined used about 1/2 liter of oil during the first school but hasn't used a drop since.

I'll send Erik more pix when I get a chance to get them scanned and documented. Looking forward to another driving season next year.

Regards,
JP4 :addict: :incar: :race:

jimmy94507
November 4th, 2003, 16:09
JP4 - Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure this will help all of us feel a lot better about the brakes holding up during the National, at Infineon, at the end of the month! The track layout was "really" hard on the Champion RS6 competition brakes in July. The weather should be cool so that will also help. Your comparison to the 4.2 brakes is also encouraging. I was very disappointed in my 4.2 brakes when pushed hard at the track, or otherwise! Love the way the RS6 brakes feel and am looking forward to giving them a real test at the track.

Regards, Jim

JP4
November 4th, 2003, 16:27
Originally posted by jimmy94507
JP4 - Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure this will help all of us feel a lot better about the brakes holding up during the National, at Infineon, at the end of the month! The track layout was "really" hard on the Champion RS6 competition brakes in July. The weather should be cool so that will also help. Your comparison to the 4.2 brakes is also encouraging. I was very disappointed in my 4.2 brakes when pushed hard at the track, or otherwise! Love the way the RS6 brakes feel and am looking forward to giving them a real test at the track.

Regards, Jim

Your certainly welcome Jimmy. Keep in mind that I didn't "punish" the brakes as I'm sure that with 2 tons over car they could be easily "smoked" if you want too. They are however MUCH MUCH better than the 4.2 brakes as I mentioned. I'm very jealous that you are going to the nationals. Several of the folks from this part of the country are going too. Be sure to tell them I said hello. My schedule just won't permit it this year. Have a GREAT time and PLEASE take lots of pix and share you experience.

JP4

Erik
November 4th, 2003, 16:42
Going to 'school' is certainly the best way to make your RS6 faster. :incar:

Beats any chip upgrade. ;)

andyp
November 4th, 2003, 22:10
As mentioned before, I wore my brakes fairly heavily with my one track day so I wrote to Andreas Boehm at Pagid to see if there was a pad upgrade for the road (I had already ordered one for the track). Here's his answer:

The OEM pad is our RS4-2-2 compound which is already a very good material. (RS4-2-2 is the successor of the RS4-2-1). Actually it is a "tamed" race material, trimmed for more comfort and noise, chatter etc. reduction.
Therefore we think there is no need for a HP pad for the RS6.

Andy

bilbozilla
November 5th, 2003, 03:04
Great info, thanks. I'm only 2 weeks away from mine (and only 20 minutes from Sears Point, ahem, Infineon Raceway