PDA

View Full Version : Ross-Tech guru's. Can we alter the engine fan speeds?

DHall1
April 1st, 2013, 18:29
With summer heat quickly approaching and two hot RS6s in the garage. I have a question.

Can we alter the coolant temp sender output to increase the engine fan speeds?

In my AMG we just recoded the sensor to read hotter thus kicking up the elec fan earlier to keep things alittle cooler.

Ideas from those that may have used this setting.

mik15
April 2nd, 2013, 04:56
this sounds good and would really be a very helpful option for me as well in this hot climate....i drive most of the time with the AC on so both fans are to cca 70% of their capacity and this really helps in keeping the engine oil temp. down, one other thing that helps is the Sportec mode i did to my engine tray which allows the heat to exit the engine bay a lot quicker than a stock tray when both fans are on!

DHall1
April 2nd, 2013, 06:46
Yes, the Sportec is a given.

The trick is to alter the coolant temp signal for the elec fans or alter the signal to the elec fans.

There should be a log block for the coolant temp sensor and or fan motor. That section may have an adaptation block to make some adjustments.

This is very common on the AMG 55k platform and I had it done years ago at the dealer. There was no Vag equal in MB and you needed the dealer only Star system.

The elec fans would go into high speed sooner and sometimes sound like a jet engine but it would keep underhood temps much cooler.

kilian tuning
April 2nd, 2013, 07:03
Wonder if its worth removing the rear under bonnet rubber weatherstrip so heat gets drawn out and over the windscreen...

Amulet-S6
April 2nd, 2013, 11:56
This probably goes against proper Audi form, but I remove the engine under-tray during the summer months; 4 years now and no issues so far.

DHall, you have an S6 Avant? I had one in Amulet Red. Still the best looking Audi I've owned.

Keep Smiling, Jim
Stratmosphere: Stage2-ECU, TCU, Downpipes, 100 cell Cats & DV's
Stasis Motorsport CO, Wagner IC, Brake duct mod
Clear Euro Headlights

kilian tuning
April 2nd, 2013, 14:57
This probably goes against proper Audi form, but I remove the engine under-tray during the summer months; 4 years now and no issues so far.

DHall, you have an S6 Avant? I had one in Amulet Red. Still the best looking Audi I've owned.

Keep Smiling, Jim
Stratmosphere: Stage2-ECU, TCU, Downpipes, 100 cell Cats & DV's
Stasis Motorsport CO, Wagner IC, Brake duct mod
Clear Euro Headlights
...That a bit risky (debris wise...), i would go for the Sportec vents...imo

RSSIK
April 2nd, 2013, 15:08
With summer heat quickly approaching and two hot RS6s in the garage. I have a question.

Can we alter the coolant temp sender output to increase the engine fan speeds?

In my AMG we just recoded the sensor to read hotter thus kicking up the elec fan earlier to keep things alittle cooler.

Ideas from those that may have used this setting.

Not sure about coding it in, but you can change to a lower temp switch so the fans kick on at a lower temp.

marklar182
April 2nd, 2013, 16:08
I don't think it will be able to be done with the VAGCOM.

It is a lookup table in the ECU, so the bin will need to be altered. Maybe the folks on Nefmoto have some insight on this.

ThrillHouse
April 2nd, 2013, 17:47
I can't speak to vag and the ability you are looking for but I do remember putting a resistor inline with air intake temp senders in my days with a 1996 Impala SS. Not sure I would start doing that to an RS6 thou!

DHall1
April 3rd, 2013, 01:28
It may be a bin location but I can tell you it was so easy on the AMG.

I have made all sorts of adaptations to my car via the Vag. Including ecu mapping.

I will dig a little deeper on this

TozoM8
April 3rd, 2013, 01:49
The fan speed is controlled by a 3x resistor pack. 1st speed is on with the radiator temp sensor. 2nd speed is on when the AC is on. 3rd speed is on if the 1st and 2nd speed cant keep it cool or failed. The 3rd speed is controlled by the instrument cluster temp gauge.