PDA

View Full Version : New here... checking in

StormFront
March 7th, 2013, 19:35
Hello gentlemen (and ladies?). My name is Patrick and I'm hoping to be the proud owner of a C5 RS6 in the near future. I'm investigating a couple options right now. For a while, I had my heart set on an E39 M5 but the more I read about them, specifically the comparisons to the E55 and RS6 of the same vintage, the more I became fond of the RS6 instead. I'm all about sleeper cars and the RS6 might just be one of the best. I truly wish it had come from the factory with a 6 spd manual option, as I personally prefer three pedals, but maybe that's something to do down the road. I currently own a 2006 Nissan Frontier, 6 spd naturally :hihi: , and am looking for a fun weekend car as well as highway car. I am electrical engineer by day but moonlight as a hobbyist/enthusiast/semi-professional photographer and have gotten to the point where all of my camera equipment is having a hard time fitting in my (extended cab) truck. I also have a hard time fitting more than one other person in it at a time unless the person riding on the bitch-I MEAN-bench seat in the back is very small. Therefore, I'm looking for a fun to drive, well built, mid to full size sedan. And that's how I ended up here.

I'm an avid car enthusiast and have a passion for driving. I also have a true passion for capturing the many nuances of cars as a form of art. I currently shoot for a Nissan 370z SCCA Pro team competing in the Pirelli World Challenge series and shot for Nissan Corporate at Petit Le Mans last year (yay DeltaWing!). I also, through a good friend of mine, documented the now famous Drendel Porsche collection that sold at the Amelia Island Gooding & Co. auction last year. All of these pictures, and plenty more, are available for view on my website if you would like to see them: http://jpmcgphotography.smugmug.com/

Again, just checking in to say hello. I may have a few questions regarding the RS6 in the near future but having worked at a VW/Porsche dealership and being good friends with several big time Audi enthusiasts, I am well versed as to what I'm getting into, just waiting to find the "right" car for the right price :addict:

hahnmgh63
March 7th, 2013, 20:42
Welcome. Check out the archives well. For some the RS6 can be a finicky car and for some it has been extremely reliable. It is basically a Supercar of sorts so if you don't do a lot of work on your car expect costs to be higher than average for work, Audi did squeeze the 4.2 into the C5 chassis but with the RS6 they added twin Turbo's, intercoolers, extra oil & tranny coolers, and more, so the engine compartment is tight for most everything except general Mx. Oil changes, filters, and plugs are fairly easy access.

StormFront
March 7th, 2013, 21:00
Thanks! I see you have the KW's... how do you like them? I've eyed the STaSiS (Ohlins) kit but they are mighty proud of it. Serious cars call for serious money for mods, and I get that, but 20-25% of the cost of the car is a hard pill to swallow for suspension when I'm not planning on racing, nor really even tracking the car. Don't get me wrong, I love a good track day as well as the next enthusiast (I've driven several cars on various tracks, mostly modded Nissans), but that's not this car's goal in my life. I am looking for a comfortable long hauler with sporting intentions, not an HPDE beater :)

Also, what's the feeling on APR's exhaust for the car? Are there better options for less money? Again, not looking for max performance here, but I do prefer aftermarket exhaust on pretty much anything I own within reason. In keeping with that theme, some of the youtube videos of the 3" exhaust sound great but also sound like they will be way too loud for what I want. I can't seem to find a good video of the APR exhaust that demonstrates how it really sounds in real world, only one of somebody revving their car slightly in the driveway which tells me nothing...

alrightroad
March 7th, 2013, 23:00
StormFront... Keep searching and the right one will come up. I'm down in Charleston if you ever get down this way. I'll be passing through your neck of woods for Quattro de Mayo early in May. Looking forward to having another RS6 in the state... there are only a handful. Red one up near you somewhere. I drove that BMW track a few years. What a blast! Maybe we'll plan another road trip up there soon and hit the track... PM me if you want to come down to CHS and take my RS6 (55K miles, stock) out for a few hours and get a feel for it...

Eric

ttboost
March 8th, 2013, 00:20
As has been said, they are high maintenance. Find yourself a good one, and you will minimize your headaches. If you are handy, you will save yourself a boatload of cash. If not, search around...the costs to work on this thing are not cheap. Not just because it is a twin turbo European V8, but because it is 10lbs of sh*t in a 1lb bag. Spark plugs and coils are about the only thing that is an easy DIY in an hour or so..Anything and everything else could potentially be an engine removal. THAT being said, they are great cars, and if you are lucky enough to find a 6 speed example. you will be MUCH happier...especially if you have driven a stock automatic one...

StormFront
March 8th, 2013, 01:53
StormFront... Keep searching and the right one will come up. I'm down in Charleston if you ever get down this way. I'll be passing through your neck of woods for Quattro de Mayo early in May. Looking forward to having another RS6 in the state... there are only a handful. Red one up near you somewhere. I drove that BMW track a few years. What a blast! Maybe we'll plan another road trip up there soon and hit the track... PM me if you want to come down to CHS and take my RS6 (55K miles, stock) out for a few hours and get a feel for it...

Eric

Eric, much appreciated on that offer. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting down towards Charleston again anytime soon. Last time I was there I shot a grey R35 GTR and helped a friend with a model photoshoot out at Wormsloe. Both went well :) I do have friends down there and would like to go back sometime soon, it seems that all my free weekends end up with me going to NC, where I'm from originally, or down towards Atlanta, where most of my Nissan/Z friends are. My workplace is right next to that test track. My engineering company is a feeder company for the BMW plant. Anytime you are up this way, just let me know...

As has been said, they are high maintenance. Find yourself a good one, and you will minimize your headaches. If you are handy, you will save yourself a boatload of cash. If not, search around...the costs to work on this thing are not cheap. Not just because it is a twin turbo European V8, but because it is 10lbs of sh*t in a 1lb bag. Spark plugs and coils are about the only thing that is an easy DIY in an hour or so..Anything and everything else could potentially be an engine removal. THAT being said, they are great cars, and if you are lucky enough to find a 6 speed example. you will be MUCH happier...especially if you have driven a stock automatic one...

Well I used to be a mechanic but living in an apartment is my main hold up on doing the work myself. Both not having a good place to do it, nor having my tool box here really sucks. I'm hoping to rent a garage here soon so I can have both (and a proper home for the RS) but the waiting list is long and the number of possible garages is a small fraction of the capacity of people here so it will probably be a while. Having said that, I'm pretty handy with the light stuff. I have a good friend that works at a Euro shop that specializes in Audi and Porsche not far from me (Hendersonville, NC) and I have basically told him he will be doing all the work on it at the shop that I can't do. Also, while I would prefer to have one in a manual, I'm not sure if buying one that's been so heavily modified is a good idea. That's kinda like buying a lifted Wrangler, who knows if the lift kit was put on right or set up correctly with the best parts. I'd rather find an auto and just plan to do the swap eventually with my friend's help when the time comes. Appreciate the advice/info though!

1uglymug
March 8th, 2013, 17:34
Welcome. Great Pics!

StormFront
March 8th, 2013, 18:51
Thank you very much! I know enough to know I don't know near enough :)

StormFront
April 8th, 2013, 22:35
I am calling an indy repair shop about a potential purchase tomorrow! *fingers crossed*

hahnmgh63
April 9th, 2013, 03:14
As far as the KW's go I love them compared to the stock DRC. The ride is only slightly firmer and they can be adjusted, just not easily. The APR exhaust sound bites are a little loud and as far as appearance goes they just don't look right on and RS6. The RS6 rear valence was designed for the twin large oval exhausts and the Quad APR looks odd. Better looking and sounding is the Milltek which is still an oval, just slightly larger. But before doing the Cat back you do get a noticeable bump and a slightly sound improvement by just gutting the small primary Catalytic converters. You will still pass emissions with these gutted as their primary duty is to work at startup for a while until the larger Secondary Cat's warm-up, just like the Secondary Air Injection system, the darn thing only works for the first minute of operation a cold engine, how much can that save the world? Good luck on your car search, there is a lot of good looking cars still out there.

StormFront
April 9th, 2013, 15:36
I just spoke with Jason at Black Forest Motorsport. It is Daytona Gray on black with 86k miles. It has had the torque converter and transmission replaced and the ADC factory suspension was swapped out for KW V2 coilovers. He described the ride as slightly stiffer than stock but not punishing in any way. It has the Milltek exhaust which he described as "only slightly louder than stock, good tone". It also has the GIAC Stage 1 engine tune. At 71.5k miles it had the timing belt (and water pump) replaced as well as new OEM pads and rotors up front. It also had both front upper and lower control arms replaced, the uppers were replaced with an aftermarket brand that is adjustable but I can't remember the name. It just got new Continental DW's last week, 255/35/19. It is on VMR 701's. All fluids have been kept up to date with maintenance recommendations and the owner has full documentation of the car dating back to the original bill of sale. Jason described this car as in mint condition for the mileage and said it would definitely be the one he would buy if he were in the market for an RS6. He said there are a few small, hardly noticeable rock chips on the front but other than the car is flawless both inside and out. He said the leather is in great condition with the typical signs of wear most of these have. He has just replied to me via email CC'ing the owner so we can get in touch. I'll keep y'all informed... *fingers crossed*

As for the cats and inspection... where I live, there isn't even a safety inspection, much less emissions :lovl:

ttboost
April 9th, 2013, 15:58
Sounds like the "right" car...

StormFront
April 9th, 2013, 22:52
It will depend on the price. Loan value on one with that many miles is only $20k. I've got some cash, and will have more once my tax return comes in, but he may want more than I can afford due to the mods.

StormFront
May 2nd, 2013, 22:49
Big thanks to Eric (alrightroad) for dropping by on the way to Quattro De Mayo with his son to give me a ride in his RS6! I'm sold! I have to have one! Now... to find it :)

MontyRS
May 4th, 2013, 21:16
Patrick...have you seen that I've recently posted mine for sale? I will bump the ad but you should really consider it. Best of luck I'm your search!

StormFront
May 4th, 2013, 21:28
Got your PM Monty, hit ya back :)

alrightroad
May 4th, 2013, 22:18
Patrick, glad we were able to hook up even if was in the BMW plant parking lot, ha ha. Keep us all posted. You have my email for anything you need.

ttboost
May 4th, 2013, 22:31
Are you looking for a 6 speed flavor?

StormFront
May 5th, 2013, 01:03
Are you looking for a 6 speed flavor?

You thinking of selling? 6 speed swap was definitely on the agenda eventually but I was hoping to find a relatively stock(ish) one. Also, I was really hoping to find the Daytona Gray on Ebony combo.

ttboost
May 5th, 2013, 01:20
Everything is for sale...LOL... Not sure what you call 'stock". but mine is stock, except for the tune and wheels. Plenty of room to grow. No worries...just trying to help...plenty of cars out there...good luck on your search!!!