PDA

View Full Version : Winter wheel/tire combo

srosie
November 3rd, 2003, 18:25
Tirerack has 2 options:

1) 225-45-18's for $1860 approx. delivered.

2) 255-40-18's for $1600 approx. delivered.

The 225-45 have more meat on the tires (higher sidewall good in snow). The 255-40's are roughly $250 cheaper.

Any thoughts about these choices?

I am a Chicago user of the RS6.

Bauer
November 3rd, 2003, 18:30
If you get a lot of snow you want narrow tires....as they will slice through the snow better than wider tires.

nene
November 3rd, 2003, 18:35
I'm assuming that the tire package you were looking at is only the tires? And if so, these would go on your stock rims correct?

I think the 255's might be fine. What is the tire make? Is it Blizzaks, or Winter Sports, or something else?

I'm going to garage the RS6 this Winter as I believe there will be lots of snow. I'm going to use the S4 this Winter, and I'm running only Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on. That was plenty last year, and might be fine this year too.

I've always liked the Michelin tire packages (Winter or Summer) as they seem to have a stronger sidewall. I've hit some pretty screwy potholes, and no bubbles on the sidewall have occurred.

I'm from Boston, MA so I'd choose the 255's. But I think it snows a bit more in Chicago, so...kind of hard to tell.

srosie
November 3rd, 2003, 18:42
"I'm assuming that the tire package you were looking at is only the tires? And if so, these would go on your stock rims correct?"

No. These are wheels and tires in their package. The ATS-5 are the wheels. And Blizzaks.

GmbHouse
November 3rd, 2003, 18:52
I agree with Bauer, narrow if definitely better. Look at how skinny the tires are on rally cars (in snow and ice). I just bought some 225 M3's from Tire Rack.

oregonbob
November 3rd, 2003, 21:14
For snow, narrower is better as the tire carves through snow with less difficulty. However, you will give up some cornering ability in the dry with the narrower rubber.

I am more concerned with ice and icy rain so I went with Dunlop Winter M3's in size 255/40-18 on 18"x8.5" OEM wheels. Installed them yesterday and they feel very good so far. OK, they aren't the Pirelli P Zero Rosso's but then I didn't expect them to be.

I've done the narrow thing before and was never happy. But, like I said, snow isn't a huge concern here. Besides, with the number of people on the news this morning in the first business day frost of the year, wide or narrow, winter tires of any kind are better than what the average population drives on. Of course, you still have to share the road with them...

Bob

TaTaPiRaTa
November 3rd, 2003, 21:54
Don't forget to get pressure sensors for your winter wheel set, I just got mine rims and tires, but found out I need 4 more pressure sensors :hmm:

oregonbob
November 4th, 2003, 02:30
Thanks for the idea but U.S. cars don't have tire pressure monitors. We got a spare tire instead - and the resultant battery in the trunk.

JP4
November 4th, 2003, 03:24
srosie,

I would go with the narrow tires for a winter set-up in the Chicago area. I would also recommend an aftermarket pressure sensor kit like Smart Tire.

JP4
:addict:

gjg
November 4th, 2003, 05:29
should be able to order stock pressure sensors from the dealer. Tirerack also has Dunlops 225/45/18 size. IMHO they are better for winter driving unless you drive 4 months in deep snow. Blizzaks do not hold the road as well as Dunlop, specially when wet. H rated performed better for me. There is V rated tire but I do not believe too many people would drive over 130 mph in US ....