PDA

View Full Version : TBA - Throttle Body Adaption - VAG adjustment

Bigglezworth
February 14th, 2013, 23:33
Believe I figured out why I have a lack of 'power' on the one beast here. As part of the big overhaul I did, the car sat for 10 months and over that period of time the battery depleted. I tried boosting and recharging, but the battery was done. I had to replace it with new and never thought that aside from the regular issues people come across with the radio not working when the battery gets disconnected (mine didn't have a problem ironically) that there would be any other concerns. The wealth of knowledge on the Internet being what it is, I believe I've deduced that my lack of power comes from the fact that I need to do a TBA - Throttle Body Adaptation.

I read through the RossTech Wiki and found this link which appears to well cover the procedure.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA#Drive-by-Wire_.28DBW.29_Engines_using_KWP-2000_or_CAN

When I tried to use the basic block #060 as they note in the procedure, I don't get additional prompts, notice a field stating ERROR, and then nothing. Can anyone that has performed a TBA on the RS6 please advise on why I might not be able to see the ADP RUN?

Thx

Bigglezworth
February 15th, 2013, 00:38
Did I mention I love the Internet for it's wealth of information??? Well, with more searching, I came across a YouTube clip that was very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zrmhDw_v7Y

Near the end it mentions that you may need to perform an ignition cycle if you are getting an ERROR message. I didn't have any throttle body fault codes, so I intentionally unplugged the harness cycled the ignition to generate the fault code, plugged the harness back in, and then cleared the fault codes. Voila! I was then successful in performing the TBA and received the ADP OK message. Yay.

Now I can't wait to test drive things after dinner and see if that procedure gets me back in the game.

Bigglezworth
February 15th, 2013, 01:33
Well it's certainly better, but still a far cry from the behemouth that was running sub 12's before being decommissioned for some maintenance love.... Sigh... Back to the drawing board.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, the car is fault code free except for a right engine mount solenoid valve that is grounding out.

ttboost
February 15th, 2013, 12:41
Nice find Tim...Hope you find your elusive demon...

4everRS
February 15th, 2013, 15:05
Well it's certainly better, but still a far cry from the behemouth that was running sub 12's before being decommissioned for some maintenance love.... Sigh... Back to the drawing board.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, the car is fault code free except for a right engine mount solenoid valve that is grounding out.

Sorry I can't help with the TBA, however, the right side engine mount has the positive battery cable running right next to it. I noticed when doing my alternator, the cable had a very tight bend in it and pushing on the mount. Maybe coincidence, but my regulator blew, about the same time my right side engine mount coded out. The battery cable was being rubbed pretty thin on that engine mount. I had a tough time seeing exposed cable as its such a tight spot, but wrapped it the best I could with electrical tape just in case. Just FYI.

lswing
February 15th, 2013, 15:45
Have you posted logs yet? It's either fuel, air, or timing right. We should see an issue with those numbers relating to lack of power assuming there are no fault codes.