PDA

View Full Version : looking for rs6, bad first time experience

alexe38
February 9th, 2013, 01:48
Hi all, great forum, I'm new to the site. I am looking to upgrade to a 2003-04 RS6. Went to look at the first one in Minneapolis, MN at Carousel Audi. 2003 carbon fibre trim, sound enhancing exhaust, warm weather package, after market radio. This vehicle is on autotrader.com. Salesman indicated 1 owner purchased from this dealership and when I sat down with him, the car has had multiple owners from multiple states. He indicated that the vehicle was ran through shop and inspected. Upon road test and my inspection, I found the trans slipping, brakes having only 10% remaining life, vehicle condition 6/10. Salesman was completely misleading about the car's history and also said there was nothing wrong with the trans. Did not bring my vagcom to check codes but found it was odd that the check engine didn't come on when the vehicle was being road tested and the slipping was occurring under load. He insisted that the car was ran through the shop and the tech said there was nothing wrong with the trans. Is it common for the trans to slip without turning the check engine light on?

audiprotn
February 9th, 2013, 02:13
Hi all, great forum, I'm new to the site. I am looking to upgrade to a 2003-04 RS6. Went to look at the first one in Minneapolis, MN at Carousel Audi. 2003 carbon fibre trim, sound enhancing exhaust, warm weather package, after market radio. This vehicle is on autotrader.com. Salesman indicated 1 owner purchased from this dealership and when I sat down with him, the car has had multiple owners from multiple states. He indicated that the vehicle was ran through shop and inspected. Upon road test and my inspection, I found the trans slipping, brakes having only 10% remaining life, vehicle condition 6/10. Salesman was completely misleading about the car's history and also said there was nothing wrong with the trans. Did not bring my vagcom to check codes but found it was odd that the check engine didn't come on when the vehicle was being road tested and the slipping was occurring under load. He insisted that the car was ran through the shop and the tech said there was nothing wrong with the trans. Is it common for the trans to slip without turning the check engine light on?
Welcome to the forum!!!

RS6s were imported to NA only in 2003.
Im not surprised that salesman doesn't know anything about this car.

Slipping tranny- bad TC. If it's been like this for a while, transmission itself might need a rebuild. That's about 5K (more at the dealer). We've got users here that could do that for you. In rare cases it could be caused by bad/low transmission fluid. Probably all transmissions go bad on this car by 70-90k miles.

Usually, you get a CEL when your TC is already gone, but you might still have codes without the CEL.

Brakes- About $350-$400 per rotor (front) + pads

There are a couple of users selling their cars with MORE information/receipts, look through them.
Good luck

bobbyrs6
February 9th, 2013, 02:14
Hey man welcome to the forum and your right, this is a GREAT forum. I just bought my first RS6, this past Monday from a Autohaus BMW in St. Louis. So far everything checks out with the car although I wish I had a vagcom to check for codes before I bought it. I think I had a pretty good salesman who seemed to be pretty honest about everything that he knew about the car, but you never know. This was an Audi dealership!?? Damn, if you can't trust them who can you trust. Lol. Don't worry, take your time and you'll find the right one. I looked for almost a year myself before I bought mine.

4everRS
February 9th, 2013, 02:18
Yes the trans can slip without a CEL. In my opinion, carousel is a bad dealership. I dislike the service department even more than I dislike the parts department, which I dislike even more than the sales staff.

February 9th, 2013, 02:43
Was this RS Mugello Blue...about 134k on it per chance? Trans slipping is not a TC problem (17135?) and TC is not necessarily a trans slipping problem.

4everRS
February 9th, 2013, 03:25
Was this RS Mugello Blue...about 134k on it per chance? Trans slipping is not a TC problem (17135?) and TC is not necessarily a trans slipping problem.
Nope. Ebony. About 90k

February 9th, 2013, 03:33
:) 90 k...yea, about the time the first trans goes...

TOAvusRS6
February 9th, 2013, 04:06
RS6s were imported to NA only in 2003.

Sorry, but you are incorrect there. 90 were imported into Canada in early 2004.

Bigglezworth
February 9th, 2013, 04:10
Bingo. Here's a trio of 2004's that are currently for sale too.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/RS6/WEST%20VANCOUVER/British%20Columbia/5_14913706_BS2005101991652/?showcpo=ShowCPO
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/RS6/UNIONVILLE/Ontario/5_15517965_20110328134435507/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/RS6/CALGARY/Alberta/5_16206636_20110625123041502/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO

hahnmgh63
February 9th, 2013, 04:14
That is correct, U.S. under strange conditions only received 2003 models but Canada received some 2004's even though some of the U.S. 2003's were built after some of the 2004's. Part of the EPA/NHTSA issues.

JSRS6
February 9th, 2013, 04:43
That is correct, U.S. under strange conditions only received 2003 models but Canada received some 2004's even though some of the U.S. 2003's were built after some of the 2004's. Part of the EPA/NHTSA issues.

Which I still think is odd, since my vin comes up as a 2004 AT the Audi Dealership!

Primo
February 9th, 2013, 11:15
Welcome to the forums! :)

4.2Crew
February 9th, 2013, 14:26
Welcome Alex38...

As others have stated, do NOT rely on dealership sales staff for accurate information on these cars. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Advice:

1) Do your own due diligence---you really need to with these cars. There are several resources (especially this site) that are loaded with valuable current and historical information---most RS6's have some sort of ownership history that can be traced back to this board.

2) Go into RS6 ownership with your eyes wide open: Meaning, be honest and aware of maint costs, EVEN if you are an experienced VAG DIY'r. Some items which take 15 minutes on other cars may require an engine drop on the RS6.

3) If you are local to the Mpls area, feel free to tap myself (4.2Crew), Pat (V8Wieght), Kyle (4everRS) and a few others in the area for ANY help, ANYTIME. (Although, my name really doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Pat's!)

4) You only live once---enjoy the damn ride!

alexe38
February 9th, 2013, 15:43
Thank you very for much for your info. Actually, 90 cars are were imported to canada only in 2004.

lswing
February 9th, 2013, 16:46

Yes, my trans slipped so much the car would barely drive, no cel. All's good $7k later. Find another one, there are some great ones for sale from $20-30k on here. Good luck, the car is amazing when properly sorted!

audiprotn
February 9th, 2013, 20:09
Good to know

Curt
February 13th, 2013, 02:53
Hi alexe38. Too bad about your experience in Minneapolis, but I may have the answer to your problem. I recently decided to sell my RS6. It is completely stock and has 64,500 miles. I am the third owner and have a Carfax to support that. I also have service records back to October 2007. I will send you all the pictures you want and all the documents I have and answer all your questions. And I’m asking less for my car than the one in Minneapolis. If you are interested, please e-mail me at curtis944 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

IMHO, special, rare cars like an RS6 are best acquired from aficionados who carefully selected and lovingly cared for their cars and can provide history. Before I bought mine (from such a gentlemen) I looked at 2 on lots. Both had obvious problems and sketchy histories.

vitalian
February 14th, 2013, 20:58
^^I would generally agree with what Curt said, but there are exceptions. I found my car at an Audi dealership. It was a local one-owner car, and had always been serviced by that same dealership (the owner had bought the car there when it was new). Therefore, I had a complete service history on the car and could review all the records myself to ensure that the car was well-sorted and not a "problem child." I realize that my situation is probably rare, but it does happen.

eanders
February 16th, 2013, 02:42
If you didn't buy a warranty (from Audi) I suggest buying one. Price is negotiable, although you may have to play one dealer off of another to get the price down. Warranty is nice piece of mind with this car.

Hey man welcome to the forum and your right, this is a GREAT forum. I just bought my first RS6, this past Monday from a Autohaus BMW in St. Louis. So far everything checks out with the car although I wish I had a vagcom to check for codes before I bought it. I think I had a pretty good salesman who seemed to be pretty honest about everything that he knew about the car, but you never know. This was an Audi dealership!?? Damn, if you can't trust them who can you trust. Lol. Don't worry, take your time and you'll find the right one. I looked for almost a year myself before I bought mine.

Curt
February 16th, 2013, 05:07

Just curious, why did your search take a year? What were you looking for that you couldn't find sooner?

ttboost
February 16th, 2013, 12:38
Just curious, why did your search take a year? What were you looking for that you couldn't find sooner?

Took a year for me to find one too...I couldn't find a Mugello/Ebony, with reasonable miles, in good condition, for the life of me...patience paid off...got a one owner example.....

bmwade
February 16th, 2013, 15:00
Took a year for me to find one too...I couldn't find a Mugello/Ebony, with reasonable miles, in good condition, for the life of me...patience paid off...got a one owner example.....

took me 2 months. Though I never take long to pick cars. I got a low mileage one with good mods, and every receipt from new!

bobbyrs6
February 16th, 2013, 20:44
Well for me personally, I was looking for an RS6 in the mid $20k. 60-100k mileage, 1-2 owner but most importantly, I wanted one that had most (if not all) the receipts. You definitely want to know WHAT has been done to this car and WHAT needs to be done to it. You'll find the right one and when you do, you'll know it!
Oh wait, that sounds dating advice!! LOL

bobbyrs6
February 16th, 2013, 20:54
Right now there are 49 RS6s on Auto Trader (U.S Version), not sure how many on the Canadian Auto Trader and 10 listed on Ebay.

TOAvusRS6
February 17th, 2013, 05:53
Right now there are 49 RS6s on Auto Trader (U.S Version), not sure how many on the Canadian Auto Trader and 10 listed on Ebay.

2004 model year. About 49,000 kilometers (30,400 miles) on it. Never winter driven. I have all service receipts. 2nd owner, but have owned it since 6000 kilometers were on the car.

In mint condition.

Hy Octane
February 17th, 2013, 19:01
Mine is listed on autotrader..\\
Its at Benz and Beemers in Costa Mesa..

Vin 905739..

If you see this RS6, take the detour and follow the mountain road as far away from it as you can get..

HighCountryRS6
February 19th, 2013, 12:05
I have one for sale but don't know where to list it on this sight. Can't find a classified section. It's an Avus silver 35k mile car. Original owner, never tracked, no mods, never a dent. Always serviced at the dealer with all records. Lots of pics to send and the history in detail. New Blizzaks on aftermarket wheels. Anyone interested?

4.2Crew
February 19th, 2013, 13:27
I have one for sale but don't know where to list it on this sight. Can't find a classified section. It's an Avus silver 35k mile car. Original owner, never tracked, no mods, never a dent. Always serviced at the dealer with all records. Lots of pics to send and the history in detail. New Blizzaks on aftermarket wheels. Anyone interested?

Wow!... This car sounds like quite the example. Most sellers simply thro the specifics right here.

Location?
Price?

Good Luck!

DiabloChad
February 19th, 2013, 13:59
62k miles. Avus silver. Service records from new and transferrable 2 year bumper to bumper warranty (legit transferrable, unlike some other posts). I'm at $26500 FIRM. Car has new tires and tons of other new parts. No paint. No ECU or trans flashes.

DST
April 14th, 2013, 05:35
I shopped around when I was looking for my RS6 which I recently purchased.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3739685930.html

I drove this one. It seemed pretty decent at a reasonable price (now $17k - even lower than when I looked). Seller seemed honest. It needs a few things- battery (it has been sitting and needed a jump), a few rattles(prob fixable), 96k miles (higher than I wanted), tires decent, timing belt reportedly done (I did not review records), recent brakes, 2nd owner (he's had it a long time as DD- since 30k?, he bought on eBay), ebony/black interior, hot weather package, no trans issues that I noticed (not an expert, however).

No interest in this just passing it along.

Cmnair
April 14th, 2013, 13:34

Pmed you

makaveli42
April 14th, 2013, 21:00
I shopped around when I was looking for my RS6 which I recently purchased.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3739685930.html

I drove this one. It seemed pretty decent at a reasonable price (now $17k - even lower than when I looked). Seller seemed honest. It needs a few things- battery (it has been sitting and needed a jump), a few rattles(prob fixable), 96k miles (higher than I wanted), tires decent, timing belt reportedly done (I did not review records), recent brakes, 2nd owner (he's had it a long time as DD- since 30k?, he bought on eBay), ebony/black interior, hot weather package, no trans issues that I noticed (not an expert, however).

No interest in this just passing it along.

Whats the "parking assist". Is that just the back up sensor?? It makes it sound like the self parking stuff.

ttboost
April 14th, 2013, 21:06
I think the "park assist" is the Parktronic, which is just the bumper sensors.

Cmnair
April 15th, 2013, 02:29
62k miles. Avus silver. Service records from new and transferrable 2 year bumper to bumper warranty (legit transferrable, unlike some other posts). I'm at $26500 FIRM. Car has new tires and tons of other new parts. No paint. No ECU or trans flashes.

Pmed you. Does your price inlude the warranty?