PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Beast. I think.....

4everRS
February 5th, 2013, 03:13
I am on the lookout for a different RS6 as mine will be taken by the insurance company after my deer hit.

There are a few options out there. I am just torn between wondering if I should look for something already tuned/modified. I am kind of leaning the direction of unmolested, so I can do it to her, then creating exactly what I want and know how the work had been done.

Just looking for discussion here. If you've got one for sale, sell me on it. You never know. But keep in mind, I can be picky.

V8weight
February 5th, 2013, 04:45
Oh! I never even thought of it....I wonder if Tom still has my old beast. You could have one in the proper color...

tomindallas
February 5th, 2013, 05:02
Pat, your old beast is indeed still here in Colorado in the garage. Kyle, if you are interested in this car just send me a pm.

Tom

ben916
February 5th, 2013, 05:25
RS600 - done

4everRS
February 5th, 2013, 05:31
RS600 - done

If it was only legal

na1mt
February 5th, 2013, 06:14
You should snatch up special sauce and call it a day!

mgoblue
February 6th, 2013, 14:35
You should snatch up special sauce and call it a day!

:race: I agree!

Primo
February 6th, 2013, 20:46
You can buy my Avant if you want, I'm getting the C7 for sure! ;)

ttboost
February 6th, 2013, 21:05
Maybe find a nice 6 speed manual example...

mgoblue
February 6th, 2013, 21:18
Is that your car EPL posted on Facebook today?

ttboost
February 6th, 2013, 21:23
Yes it is...

ben916
February 6th, 2013, 23:59
Is that your car EPL posted on Facebook today?

Some of us have quit FB or just don't want FB so if ya have a photo or some data, please post ya rockstar!

ttboost
February 7th, 2013, 00:02
I don't FB either..but I happen to be there today...nothing to report yet...just got strapped down today...busy day at the shop...

lswing
February 7th, 2013, 00:10
Here's what they posted, looks good! Interested to hear the numbers, looks cool with that stick shift in there. Although I bought this car specifically since it has paddle shifting, bad back, and the new Tozo trans has been rocking it, ok, back on topic.

ttboost
February 7th, 2013, 00:13
Yeah...that was the first thing I noticed about the manual swap...I seem to have lost the functionality of the paddle shifters...Probably have to take it to the dealer after EPL is done with it...have em check it out...

lswing
February 7th, 2013, 01:57
You could fix it by removing them...

4everRS
February 7th, 2013, 02:10
Yeah...that was the first thing I noticed about the manual swap...I seem to have lost the functionality of the paddle shifters...Probably have to take it to the dealer after EPL is done with it...have em check it out...
Mike, you're funny.

JSRS6
February 7th, 2013, 02:46
You could fix it by removing them...

I told mike he needs to find a flat bottom without paddles, but with multifunction so he can still control SOMETHING with his hands while driving :hihi:

alrightroad
February 7th, 2013, 04:52
Digression... the flat bottom wheels have 2 stage air bags which wont plug up. We have single stage airbags. FWIW.

Mike, did you modify the gearshift surround trim? or use original TIP trim?

mik15
February 7th, 2013, 05:51
are you sure it's 1 stage airbag? i mean, my '01 330i had a 2 stage airbag so i guess an '04 RS6 should be 2 stage as well, i remember that when i removed the steering the connector was similar to the one i had on my BMW...

ttboost
February 7th, 2013, 11:43
Maybe someday when I get a RNS-E, I can use the paddles to change songs on my iPod?

I used the console cover and silver trim that came with my manual shifter. it was kinda scratched..you know...being bounced around a junkyard for who knows how long. I covered it with that sticky back carbon fiber tapey crap. Looks good on a walk by...but don't stare. These parts are a little different and the plastic holder for the leather boot wouldn't line up exactly, so I went this route. probably could make it fit someday..but not this someday. Also, it's missing the "notch" that the RS6 has, so the ashtray hangs up a little. I will definitley fix this.

SteveKen
February 7th, 2013, 15:35
I was wondering if it's possible to make a filler piece to install in place of the paddles? Didn't someone on the forum design aluminium paddles? Can anyone confirm if these paddles match the contour of the indentations in the steering wheel? If so, then it might not be a big jump to make some filler pieces.

BTW, I like to use the metal bezel/surround that was available on some B5 C5 manuals. It's a clean look and allows for variances in the 'clearancing' of the automatic surround.

Using a matching alcantara shift boot is also a nice touch. Sorry for small pic.

kday
February 7th, 2013, 16:35
With some electronic glue it should be fairly easy to make the paddles control the RNS-E. If I remember right the paddles are simple momentary switches that go through the T17m blue connector. Then you just need to have something that emits an infotainment CANbus message when the contacts close.

A harder problem is what to do with those OnStar buttons... it bugs me that there are buttons and LEDs in my car that don't do anything!

alrightroad
February 7th, 2013, 18:26
are you sure it's 1 stage airbag? i mean, my '01 330i had a 2 stage airbag so i guess an '04 RS6 should be 2 stage as well, i remember that when i removed the steering the connector was similar to the one i had on my BMW...

Yes, all C5's are stage 1.

alrightroad
February 7th, 2013, 18:27
I was wondering if it's possible to make a filler piece to install in place of the paddles? Didn't someone on the forum design aluminium paddles? Can anyone confirm if these paddles match the contour of the indentations in the steering wheel? If so, then it might not be a big jump to make some filler pieces.

BTW, I like to use the metal bezel/surround that was available on some B5 C5 manuals. It's a clean look and allows for variances in the 'clearancing' of the automatic surround.

Using a matching alcantara shift boot is also a nice touch. Sorry for small pic.

Interesting. I'll dig around for more info on this retrofit.

alrightroad
February 7th, 2013, 18:30
With some electronic glue it should be fairly easy to make the paddles control the RNS-E. If I remember right the paddles are simple momentary switches that go through the T17m blue connector. Then you just need to have something that emits an infotainment CANbus message when the contacts close.

A harder problem is what to do with those OnStar buttons... it bugs me that there are buttons and LEDs in my car that don't do anything!

There is an aftermarket bluetooth module which utilizes the defunct OnStar buttons. Let me know if you need link and I'll search through my notes.

As far as the paddles controlling RNS-E... hmm. This would be excellent. Pondering...

alrightroad
February 7th, 2013, 18:38
Sorry for the thread jack there, Kyle.

So back to your purchase options... the C5 Plus is on the approved import list. I bet you could get one into the country with under 50K miles including import and emissions conversion costs for under $40K. And, it would be worth nearly that sitting here on US soil fully federalized? Recaros... :)

Or, buy your old car back and then start with adding this? ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Karosse-Karosserie-Carbody-Brief-Audi-RS6-4B-V8-Biturbo-/160786904748?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item256fa576ac

:)

UrS6
February 7th, 2013, 19:24
There is an aftermarket bluetooth module which utilizes the defunct OnStar buttons. Let me know if you need link and I'll search through my notes.

As far as the paddles controlling RNS-E... hmm. This would be excellent. Pondering...

I have it in my car. It streams music from my phone, I can speak text messages, voice dial, etc. It works great and uses the onstar.

ben916
February 7th, 2013, 20:21
could it be this one????
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/525100-OEMplus-Weekly-Special

UrS6
February 7th, 2013, 22:22
could it be this one????
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/525100-OEMplus-Weekly-Special

No. I was refering to the Costar Bluestar that uses the onstar buttons. I don't have RNS-E

UrS6
February 7th, 2013, 22:51
Sorry for the thread jack there, Kyle.

So back to your purchase options... the C5 Plus is on the approved import list. I bet you could get one into the country with under 50K miles including import and emissions conversion costs for under $40K. And, it would be worth nearly that sitting here on US soil fully federalized? Recaros... :)

Or, buy your old car back and then start with adding this? ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Karosse-Karosserie-Carbody-Brief-Audi-RS6-4B-V8-Biturbo-/160786904748?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item256fa576ac

:)

The problem with that is you would still need to federalize it. There is no FMVSS sticker on the door jamb and if you got in an accident your insurance co. would probably not pay a dime. Obviously, swapping all of the components from a US car would solve effectively federalize it but as I understand it the car would still need to go to a Registered Importer to apply for approval. You can't do it on your own and you wouldn't be able to get the Part 565 VIN replacement label for the windshield VIN or the FMVSS sticker without an RI. Are there any US sedan shells out there? Then someone could swap the RS600 over to a US chassis.

Curt
February 13th, 2013, 05:06
I am on the lookout for a different RS6 as mine will be taken by the insurance company after my deer hit.

There are a few options out there. I am just torn between wondering if I should look for something already tuned/modified. I am kind of leaning the direction of unmolested, so I can do it to her, then creating exactly what I want and know how the work had been done.

Just looking for discussion here. If you've got one for sale, sell me on it. You never know. But keep in mind, I can be picky.

Hi 4everRS. I read the whole thread “Went deer hunting by accident” – a heartbreaking story. Knock wood, I’ve never had such an experience. My wife nearly totaled a car 30 years ago, but a long time in the shop was the only cost.

I write mainly because I have an unmolested RS6 I recently decided to sell. It is completely stock and has 64,500 miles. I am the third owner and have a Carfax showing that. I also have service records back to October 2007. I will send you all the pictures you want and all the documents I have and answer all your questions. If you want to go “unmolested” and if you are interested, please e-mail me at curtis944 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

4everRS
February 22nd, 2013, 18:52
Well guys, I'm back in the fold. Feeling much better. I'll pick up the car in mid march, after a little work is done.

ttboost
February 22nd, 2013, 20:02
What car?

ben916
February 22nd, 2013, 21:43
Well guys, I'm back in the fold. Feeling much better. I'll pick up the car in mid march, after a little work is done.

Yes, do tell but please don't tell us it has FMIC and it can "breaff" and has pink carbon mirrors.

V8weight
February 22nd, 2013, 21:58
Yes, do tell but please don't tell us it has FMIC and it can "breaff" and has pink carbon mirrors.
Not yet, but I can help him get it dressed up....

4everRS
February 23rd, 2013, 01:32
Not yet, but I can help him get it dressed up....
No thanks. I'll screw it up myself. If I need help improving it, I'll be calling. Hehe. Actually, I may need help gutting the main cats.

4everRS
February 23rd, 2013, 01:33
What car?
Some guy named Dave had an extra one to sell. :)

ben916
February 23rd, 2013, 08:20
Does this Dave character live in some "big house" in Spanish or somethang like that?

ttboost
February 23rd, 2013, 12:03
Awful generous of this said "Dave"...

4everRS
February 23rd, 2013, 14:52
You got it Ben. And yes mike, very generous of him. Car wasn't for sale, but after talking with him about the deer hit, he offered it for sale. There are some interesting "repairs" happening to the beast right now, hence not getting it til mid march. I'm pretty excited about it. I think it's worked out well for both of us. As an added bonus, I'm making a trip out if it, able to see a bunch of family I have down there. My uncle there has a ZR1, and I'll see how the beast stacks up to it. The test will really be how much he walks away from me.

ttboost
February 23rd, 2013, 16:00
Nice!! well congrats on your new baby and kudos to Dave for manning up and parting with one of his...very unselfish of him...

V8weight
February 23rd, 2013, 17:55
Ha, the Minnesota board members have really been cleaning Dave's garage out lately..

ttboost
February 23rd, 2013, 18:36
Lucky Dave..I think??

Curt
February 23rd, 2013, 19:46

Congratulations on the new car!
A word of advice: stay away from DEER!!
When I lived in Ohio, some of my friends who lived in rural areas believed in these “deer whistles”.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=deer+whistles

Do they work? Opinions vary. But at least they are cheap.
Here in the D.C. area, deer are not a problem. Our plague is elephants and donkeys!
Anyway, enjoy the car.