PDA

View Full Version : Are the new factory C5 RS6 Trans & TC fixes the fix all?

c_jargo
February 1st, 2013, 07:33
As we all know the TC & trans are the weak link, TC seal leaks, and the clutches slip. My mechanic, 3rd best audi trouble shooter in No. America said the current trans seal issue is resolved, and the modern shifter solenoids have been fixed as well. Currently under warranty, my trans is being replace along with the TC, just imported from Audi Germany. I also did the MTM TCU upgrade as well. Will this setup be tight and right, or will I be back at square one with a 100 octane revo tune.

hahnmgh63
February 1st, 2013, 13:53
It's been well documented that the newer ZF Torque Converters have a new seal design which is suppose to fix the internal leak. I hadn't heard anything about the transmissions having improved shifter solenoids? Maybe Tozo, someone who works on them regularly can pipe in as he has done many rebuilds. But a bad T.C. can cause premature failure of the tranny. No matter what they may have done, the OEM transmission is still not capable of a long life of agressive driving, especially with a tune.

4everRS
February 1st, 2013, 13:57
3rd best audi trouble shooter in No. America.

Haha. It's a joke right?

JSRS6
February 1st, 2013, 14:05
Maybe they have annual Audi Troubleshooter Awards...like the MTV awards, but you have to figure out a fault with a car on the stage...:hihi:

kilian tuning
February 1st, 2013, 14:15
...he found the fault...theres something inside the engine, some kind of rattle..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8j-Hjb-WrY

DHall1
February 1st, 2013, 14:25
I would go with the Audi reman trans and think it would last.

Better have your guy run some data logs on that Revo tune to make sure you have fueling. Or the trans could be the least of your worries.

JSRS6
February 1st, 2013, 16:25
...he found the fault...theres something inside the engine, some kind of rattle..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8j-Hjb-WrY

Good god! That's good shit right there!

c_jargo
February 1st, 2013, 20:22
Haha. It's a joke right?

I know, how can you put a measure on that right? Much to my surprise, this mechanic was schooled by Porsche / Audi, then tested 3rd highest in the US. Go figure. And when Audi dealers in L.A. can't figure out a problem, they sent it to this guy's humble small shop in Culver City to figure it out. I actually think he's the Audi whisper. ;-)

c_jargo
February 1st, 2013, 20:32
Thanks all for weighing in. If time permits this weekend, I'll put Ross-Tech to work and post some data logs.

NSU RS6
February 1st, 2013, 20:59
I know, how can you put a measure on that right? Much to my surprise, this mechanic was schooled by Porsche / Audi, then tested 3rd highest in the US. Go figure. And when Audi dealers in L.A. can't figure out a problem, they sent it to this guy's humble small shop in Culver City to figure it out. I actually think he's the Audi whisper. ;-)

Not a joke.

#2 ranked Audi mechanic works at Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA.

ben916
February 1st, 2013, 22:29
Not a joke.

#2 ranked Audi mechanic works at Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA.

Thread Jack: Is that why they charge 2X as much as any other Audi Dealer for service??!?!?

lswing
February 1st, 2013, 23:00
Funny, my mechanic was too busy working on my car to make it...he might be #1...does sound like you're in good hands though. I'll assume you meant TC seal. Trans solenoid might tighten up shifts right, but you're still dealing with weaker clutch packs than upgraded aftermarket, and a few other parts in there that Tozo upgrades.

All I've heard from people over the last few years is issues with rebuilt trans from Audi...why would this have changed? I put my money with Tozo on this one. After getting a rebuilt steering rack from Audi that was leaking, trying to stay away from their parts as much as possible...maybe I'll get some of their rotors though:)

NSU RS6
February 1st, 2013, 23:24
Thread Jack: Is that why they charge 2X as much as any other Audi Dealer for service??!?!?

Actually no. They like this guy so much, they let him use the dealership's shop for him to freelance on weekends. I do not have personal experience with this, but a good friend of mine with an APR modded A6 2.7TT has let him do work there at Barrier, that was priced quite reasonably. It was this friend that told me that he tested #2 in the country at the Audi mechanics contest.

I have not needed anything - so I have not tried him - but I am thinking of contacting him for a trans flush.

I also have an in with the Barrier Service manager. He manages the men's soccer team I play on.... ; )

DHall1
February 3rd, 2013, 18:37
I wanted to add something. The OP asked if the new Audi reman trans and TC would be good to go and given his situation with warranty paying the tab it was the only real choice. If your car is at Audi and ext warranty is paying the tab the only real choice is Audi parts due to the parts warranty and labor warranty.

However, the next best choice or the top choice if you're paying out of pocket may be Tozo and his reman exchange program. His prices and quality of work are top notch and he helps this forum and its members time and time again. We are lucky to have him here.

.02c

As we all know the TC & trans are the weak link, TC seal leaks, and the clutches slip. My mechanic, 3rd best audi trouble shooter in No. America said the current trans seal issue is resolved, and the modern shifter solenoids have been fixed as well. Currently under warranty, my trans is being replace along with the TC, just imported from Audi Germany. I also did the MTM TCU upgrade as well. Will this setup be tight and right, or will I be back at square one with a 100 octane revo tune.

G2
February 4th, 2013, 00:42
...maybe I'll get some of their rotors though:)[/QUOTE]

Lou, look me up if you do or for any other parts. We still need to meet up soon!

G2
February 4th, 2013, 01:18
Granted seals and gaskets, selenoids and such are important, too....

An auto trans lives and dies based on what oil is used and what the service interval is (and operating temperature). From experience nearly all failures I see are due to lack of maintenance and/or poor quality fluids. Those with warranteed vehicles seem to be the hardest on their equipment and don't usually factor in commesurate service on par with how one uses it: we see this all the time at the shop.

Auto trans rely on specific oil properties and are able to function smoothly via controlled slippage. A stock trans with more power will increase both the fluid temps and create potentially more slippage. This will have a cascading affect of faster fluid shear down and more particle contamination from clutch packs and other wear items. Oil with the proper seal swell agents are also important for auto trans.

From what I understand Audi uses Castrol lubes (or at least did use BP/Castrol fluids in my previously owned '04 S4 V8 Avant). This is not a brand of synthetic oil I feel comfortable using in our shop. We prefer Amsoil, which is Audi approved (meaning has the proper friction qualities,etc), but much better stability in high heat and high load conditions.

My stock trans (with GIAC trans chip) does very well coping with the added torque and certainly shifts nicer than with the OE fluid. My plan is to do another complete flush at one year (this June) and possibly replace the pan filter again (pending how the fluid looks) to prevent any restriction in fluid flow (which causes slipping). Despite how great the Amsoil ATF is it can't make up for engineering weakness(es). In a stock daily driver/commuter car, 100K miles is no problem, but for a high performance car we go with 50K miles or 3yrs, BUT for an RS6 (or other massively torque rich engine) 1-2 years and 20K miles should give it the best chance to live a healthy life-especially knowing the inherent "weakness" of the stock components.

Sorry this got so long, but it's all to easy to overlook how imporant lubes are to reliability (and how OEM fluids can be barely adequate even for a stock vehicle).

SteveKen
February 4th, 2013, 16:36
Also an important thing to keep in mind when working with a 'not new' transmission with respect to fluid changes. . .

The change in viscosity between the old fluid being removed and the new fluid can upset things and exacerbate the problem.

The sludgier old fluid doesn't leak past the seals as easy as a new fluid for example.

Unless the trans and fluid is babysat over its lifetime, then starting a regimen of fluid changes is a gamble.