PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rebuild/upgrade options? I've SFA but not so much info.

alrightroad
January 31st, 2013, 21:21
I have option to purchase a used pair of BW RS6 turbos for $500. About 50K miles on them. They have been sitting for a while and need rebuild. No shaft play and no oil seals. What is the experience out there for uprated rebuilds? I know about Scroll and Buehn. Will be looking into their pricing and reputation. Anyone else I should consider?

Thanks!

lswing
January 31st, 2013, 22:15
Scroll has been great, super clean when I got them back, rebuilt with upgraded (more oil flow for better cooling) impeller shafts for $1,300. My stock ones were actually pretty good after 90k, not that much play in them, or oil leak. Assuming the Scroll's will last 100k+...

Kind of wish I had scroll hybrid them, a bit bigger, for $2k...

Brav
January 31st, 2013, 22:19
I am curious how long the stock snails will last with normal driving. I am pushing 170k and wondering if I should be considering a rebuild/upgrade when I do my tranny swap..

Elevens
January 31st, 2013, 23:03
I am curious how long the stock snails will last with normal driving. I am pushing 170k and wondering if I should be considering a rebuild/upgrade when I do my tranny swap..

To me that's a no Brain-er. 170K, without a doubt the Turbo's should be Rebuilt. They may be fine now, but why take a chance on having to pull the Engine again. My car had about 70K when I had mine rebuilt and that's just because the engine was out to do the Tranny. And even at 70K the Turbo showed signs of internal wear (Shaun sent me pictures of the Dismantled Turbo). Peace of mind for $1300.00. I don't know about any other Turbo Re-builder but Shaun at Scrollproducts does Tremendous work and is quite the perfectionist. I and a few others on the Forum have used Scrollproducts and have had nothing but Praise for their work.....................