PDA

View Full Version : What if my tranny dies after my warranty expires?

UrS6
January 28th, 2013, 20:13
I'm dropping my car off for my 17125 TC code. Presumably it will get a new TC. I can't tell if the tranny is slipping. My logs show input and output speeds are synched up properly (as far as I can tell). It goes into limp mode all the time. My mechanic said he will take a look at the fluid and see if there is any shite in there--metal shavings, bits & pieces, etc. My concern is that my Fidelity warranty ends 3/19. What sort of recourse do I have if the TC and fluid is replaced and the tranny takes a dump 3 weeks after my warranty ends? Obviously I can do the attorney/demand letter route but does anyone have any experience? Obviously I may be overthinking this and it may never be an issue, but....I just want to be prepared.

4everRS
January 28th, 2013, 22:05
Fidelity will do whatever they have to, to NOT cover it. They need to fix it now.

UrS6
January 28th, 2013, 22:15
Fidelity will do whatever they have to, to NOT cover it. They need to fix it now.
I'm sure they'll fix the TC, my concern is any tranny damage that is not apparent now (no slipping, no metal shaving) but has already occurred.

Aronis
January 29th, 2013, 13:43
To Answer the Question posted in your topic.

North Of Boston? How Far? If in New Hampshire the answer is easy, park the dead car on your front lawn! LOL.... Just Kidding.....

The new TC should protect your transmission. It can be done without pulling the engine. Watch VAGCOM codes every month. The CEL WILL NOT COME ON WITH A TC ERROR UNTIL SOME THRESHOLD HAS BEEN MET. I stumbled on my TC slipping by chance as I started peaking at error codes monthly when my car got up to 90,000 and was closing on the end of my 104,000 extended warrantee.

Mike

lswing
January 29th, 2013, 18:42
If they will not replace trans now, you should do it, certainly if tuned for more power. I forget how many miles you have, above 50-60k? Figure your worn TC has already done some damage, maybe not much if you're a careful driver and kept temps down by driving easy. It should only be about $500 extra for labor if you do it when the TC is out, as opposed to $2500 if your trans fails in 6 months. Plus I always worry about all the other shit that can go wrong when pulling an engine every year. $3000 plus shipping to your mechanic from Tozo (you'll need to find a core), my new trans feels darn good, and should for a long time!

ttboost
January 29th, 2013, 19:02
See if they will put the Ace TC in? I still have one for sale...

lswing
January 29th, 2013, 19:33
See if they will put the Ace TC in? I still have one for sale...

Good idea, you still have the core for the trans also? Only tough part with the warranty paying for that is it's used, barely, but still. Hopefully the new factory TC's are better as people have been saying...

ttboost
January 29th, 2013, 19:54
Yeah..don't figure they will let him or he will want it..just putting it out there....my stock trans is sold...