PDA

View Full Version : changing rotors myself, do i need specialty tool?

peiserg
January 28th, 2013, 06:05
I.e. for the brake calipers. is there a special tool, or will a "C-Clamp" do it like i can normally use in most any japanese or american car? I heard the VW requires some sort of clamp that rotates the pistons or something as they compress and that got me concerned.

thanks.

Zmey
January 28th, 2013, 06:29
You can rent the tool at autozone, comes with diffrent adapters. You need to spin and push at the same time, the tool does just that.

Jimmy
January 28th, 2013, 12:49
You only need it for the rear calipers tho...fronts you can just push in with your thumbs.

Definitely, rent or borrow one.

peiserg
January 28th, 2013, 14:59
oh. ok, this is just for the fronts.

JSRS6
January 28th, 2013, 16:06
Iirc, you need a 7mm Allen to remove the two caliper bolts, as well as a pipe to break the bolts free. The pistons just push back in, but make sure you only do one side at a time, as the pressure you put on one side can push out the piston on the other caliper. And don't forget to buy new stretch bolts.

alrightroad
January 28th, 2013, 16:19
When you push in piston by hand uncap the brake fluid reservoir, put a rag around the cap area and then push slowly on the piston. See how high the level moves with the piston push then you know if you can push pistons in enough without spilling fuid. hard to push in without uncapping. go slow.

MaxRS6
January 28th, 2013, 16:20
.. The pistons just push back in, but make sure you only do one side at a time, as the pressure you put on one side can push out the piston on the other caliper....

Oh yeah...I did this once with the Alcons and popped a piston out between track sessions- hot brake fluid hit the 'ol hands (good thing I had the gloves on or I would have seared some skin that day). I utilize C-Clamps now on each side to prevent.

Aronis
January 29th, 2013, 13:52
no special tools. the Rotors are the easiest thing to replace on the car.

Aronis
January 29th, 2013, 13:53
just remember to remove some brake fluid from the reservoir before you push the pistons back in, and then replace. Use a 10 cc syringe. That works great.

kday
January 29th, 2013, 19:24
no special tools. the Rotors are the easiest thing to replace on the car.

Almost -- the N80 valve is even easier :)

MaxRS6
January 29th, 2013, 19:38
^RS6 front grill badge emblem or valve stem cap

January 30th, 2013, 02:47
Gasoline the easiest to replace...well, as long as the beast is running.

MaxRS6
January 30th, 2013, 02:56
^Disagree...gotta pop the cover, unscrew the cap, work the gas pump, screw the cap back on, close the cover....lots mo work than the valve stem or rs6 badge..;0

kday
January 30th, 2013, 03:15
I usually get full service* so I'll have to go with the gasoline on this one.

* The town I live in bans self service gas as do some of the neighboring towns. As a native New Jerseyan this seems natural to me...

ben916
January 30th, 2013, 05:40
^Disagree...gotta pop the cover, unscrew the cap, work the gas pump, screw the cap back on, close the cover....lots mo work than the valve stem or rs6 badge..;0

^ 2x disagree... EASIEST thing to do on these cars is press the GO pedal!!!!

JSRS6
January 30th, 2013, 13:08
Yes, but how easy was it to REPLACE your GO pedal?? :hihi:

ben916
January 30th, 2013, 21:37
Yes, but how easy was it to REPLACE your GO pedal?? :hihi:

The GO pedal wasn't that bad except for removing the dash under the steering wheel.
The foot rest was harder.