PDA

View Full Version : DRC Low Pressure / No Visible Leaks

2000c43
January 19th, 2013, 08:07
My RS6 received the Audi DRC recall / update a few years ago. Lately, the car seems a little bouncy. No noises or clunks, just bouncy. I took it to the dealer and they said that they don't see any visible leaks in the DRC. They pressure tested it and said that the pressure was low on both sides and slightly different on both sides. It had some pressure in the system but I don't recall the exact numbers.

Is it possible for the system to lose pressure but not show any signs of visible leaks? Would it be worth having them recharge the system? Just want to educate myself before I make a decision on whether or not to try to recharge it.

4.2Crew
January 19th, 2013, 12:46
My RS6 received the Audi DRC recall / update a few years ago. Lately, the car seems a little bouncy. No noises or clunks, just bouncy. I took it to the dealer and they said that they don't see any visible leaks in the DRC. They pressure tested it and said that the pressure was low on both sides and slightly different on both sides. It had some pressure in the system but I don't recall the exact numbers.

Is it possible for the system to lose pressure but not show any signs of visible leaks? Would it be worth having them recharge the system? Just want to educate myself before I make a decision on whether or not to try to recharge it.

When I removed and discarded the DRC, there were NO noticeable leaks either. But, when I started to disassemble and remove the components one by one, there was a surprising amount of "air" or void space in the system....

It is also POSSIBLE that the hydraulic oil within the system is absorbing small amounts of moister---thereby lowering the system's pressure and resulting in the feeling of mushyness????

Bottom line: The numerous fittings and components of the DRC are 10 years old... The system will only require MORE maintenance ($$$) over time, not less. There are several more robust and cost-effective replacement options starting at $650 for the DIY.