PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter rebuild

mbagge01
January 10th, 2013, 15:46
My 110,000 mile rs6 is going in for warranty work to fix a rear main seal leaking which as you know means dropping the trans. I will also be having the timing belt service. My question is that since the torque converter will be accessible, should I have it rebuilt or upgrade it. Mind you i am not getting any codes but I know that this a well know part to fail, especially since my car is chipped. It should be covered under my warranty so the other option would be just wait for it to fail hoping it occurs while my warranty is in effect. I know a lot of people go with ACE but have read a lot of things about their converter causing premature failure of the gearbox

lswing
January 10th, 2013, 17:04
I know a lot of people go with ACE but have read a lot of things about their converter causing premature failure of the gearbox

This seems to be a rumor that is continuing to fester...is there any real proof? A rebuild TC from many companies is built to stock specs, or you can have the stall speed and maybe another factor changed if requested. So no difference, just a new TC, and an old Trans.

I believe the real reason "the Trans fails after the TC is replaced" rumor is that the trans has plenty of miles, was already damaged by the previous TC going bad, and should have been replaced at the same time.

That said, I'd replace both tc and trans if you're pulling it, both are stock? My TC went at 85k, trans at 95k, and I know my TC was driven many miles while slipping, therefore exacerbating the wear on the trans.

kevin
January 10th, 2013, 22:01
My trans lasted about 5000 miles after I install an ACE. It started to slip during 1-2 upshifts under full throttle. Not blaming it on the TQ either, just the fact that my engine is making more power than the trans is rated for.