PDA

View Full Version : RS6 with 63k miles, looking to do a little upgrading

Ryanpnut
January 8th, 2013, 16:59
Hey all, I've been reading around the forums for a while waiting to be validated. Got me a nice C5 RS6 about 2 months ago at a pretty good price in mechanically flawless condition. Just had the oil changed 5 days ago and I've been researching on here what performance upgrades I can do. I originally called up a local performance shop "The Shop" and he recommended I do an APR ECU/TCU and then after an APR exauhst. Looked at some numbers and that is way too much to just throw into the car. Came across the forum about the MTM TCU upgrade and had been looking for Hoppen but from what I have found they have gone out of business. I recently read the thread about the Eurocharged ECU with an MTM TCU and was very intrigued. I email Eurocharged last night and Jerry who everyone has said great things about was communicating with me till about 10 at night. He said he was going to try to get in contact with MTM for me and get back to me. My question is, is this what everyone recommends? I am going to try and get the car on a dyno this afternoon and I will post some results if i manage to get them soon enough. Thanks so much.

MaxRS6
January 8th, 2013, 20:20
Welcome aboard the..

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?

MaxRS6
January 8th, 2013, 20:23
Sounds like you are on trail. Each tune has its' followers (some mo than others). Many have been happy with Eurocharged and sounds like you are doing your research. I've had the APR chip installed since Dec/07 when Crazy had about 80K miles (about 90K miles ago) without any issues. I like being able to switch between programs and the APR team. Eurocharged hadn't come onto my radar when I was looking around or I would have certainly considered it.

I recommend the Hotchkis sway bar (at least the rear). Some don't recommend the front. I have them both and like the way it changed "the roll". Good bang for the buck.

Good luck and Max speed with modifying to your tastes!

Ryanpnut
January 8th, 2013, 21:07
I contacted the dealer for MTM according to MTM's website and gave Prestige Imports a call. Spoke to a man by the name of Jakob who seems to be the owner and asked him if he was able to do just a TCU upgrade and said he was still getting his shop in order and if it is on the MTM website he can do it. Sat on the phone while he looked it up, and already have searched around the website and he said the only way to get the transmission upgrade is with their 2,000 euro ECU. Does this seem right? Or have they never listed the $125 TCU upgrade on their site?

ben916
January 8th, 2013, 21:10
Or have they never listed the $125 TCU upgrade on their site?

Probably they don't have the MTM TCU chip in stock and like you stated, it might be bundled now.
I have one sitting in the box in the back of my trunk in the Michelin blue tool bag that only Joshua and I have... :)

JSRS6
January 8th, 2013, 21:35
Probably they don't have the MTM TCU chip in stock and like you stated, it might be bundled now.
I have one sitting in the box in the back of my trunk in the Michelin blue tool bag that only Joshua and I have... :)

it comes in handy...fun times!

Ryanpnut
January 8th, 2013, 23:42
Well that sounds like a serious let down! Wonder if there's any comparable TCU upgrade.

lswing
January 9th, 2013, 02:15
Is that the mtm shop in ontario, canada? People have been using them. Doesnt viper do a tcu, besides good tune?

Welcome to the forum and the world of the beast!

lswing
January 9th, 2013, 02:17
Well that sounds like a serious let down! Wonder if there's any comparable TCU upgrade.

The tcu upgrade is nice, but not amazing, just tightens up the shifts a bit, carries rpms longer in drive or sport...that said, a great little upgrade.

V8weight
January 9th, 2013, 02:27
The tcu upgrade is nice, but not amazing, just tightens up the shifts a bit, carries rpms longer in drive or sport...that said, a great little upgrade.
I personally like the viper tcu tune more so than the mtm... Believe me, I switched back and forth no less than a dozen time... I felt like the mtm chip was too up shift happy, and reluctant to allow downshifts/ kick downs..

SteveKen
January 9th, 2013, 03:17
Before you commit to a tune, there might be another option from a very reputable shop soon. They hope to have some deltas on the dyno done by the end of the week. You can PM me if you have an immediate interest.

Ryanpnut
January 9th, 2013, 04:24
The MTM shop I mentioned was Prestige Imports in Miami, FL. He said they were just opening up, pretty much their stock is 2013 A3's, A4's and one or two lambos currently. Said they are new, and based on recent posts i'm guessing a registered MTM dealer within the last few months. Viper will do a TCU tune by itself with no ECU? based on research the EC ECU tune seems to be the best for the money currently

V8weight
January 9th, 2013, 04:37
The MTM shop I mentioned was Prestige Imports in Miami, FL. He said they were just opening up, pretty much their stock is 2013 A3's, A4's and one or two lambos currently. Said they are new, and based on recent posts i'm guessing a registered MTM dealer within the last few months. Viper will do a TCU tune by itself with no ECU? based on research the EC ECU tune seems to be the best for the money currently. Ya, there's best for the money, and best for the car....