PDA

View Full Version : 115,000 mile service

mbagge01
January 8th, 2013, 16:10
I was hoping someone would have a list of the items which are checked and serviced for this major maintenance. I would like to do some of the work myself instead of everything done by the shop (spark plugs, filters etc). From what I have been told, the engine needs to come out for some of the maintenance. Are there any parts that you would recommend changing out during this that are not normally on the list.

V8weight
January 8th, 2013, 18:02
​sorry, can't seem to get my phone to copy a link... Check out the service interval with part numbers thread in the sticky at the top of the page... The 115k is the same as the 75k...

4everRS
January 8th, 2013, 18:21
Here ya go.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20286-RS6-service-schedule-with-part-numbers

thanks again Pat for this great resource.

4.2Crew
January 8th, 2013, 18:33
​sorry, can't seem to get my phone to copy a link... Check out the service interval with part numbers thread in the sticky at the top of the page... The 115k is the same as the 75k...

Pat, seems like you are suspiciously loitering around here more and more!... You gett'n the itch again?

mbagge01
January 8th, 2013, 18:59
Since I bought to car with over 100,000 miles withunknown complete service history, what are thoughts on replacing coils with spark plugs. I read on post where someone put in 1.8t coils instead because oftheir stronger spark and would be curious about coils on a chipped car.

4.2Crew
January 8th, 2013, 19:14
Since I bought to car with over 100,000 miles withunknown complete service history, what are thoughts on replacing coils with spark plugs. I read on post where someone put in 1.8t coils instead because oftheir stronger spark and would be curious about coils on a chipped car.

I'd pull a couple of the plugs and inspect the condition before replacing the entire set... But, if it brings you piece of mind, go for it.

As for the coils, my 2001 A6 4.2L had it's share replaced over it's 240k mile life---especially early on. But the RS6 doesn't seem to be plagued with the tell-tale misfire codes associated with bad coils.

I've been running an EPL tune with 15psi boost and 93 octane for 2000+ miles with zero misfire codes on the original coils... I did replace the plugs and tighten the gap .002" prior to the reflash.

January 8th, 2013, 22:50
Plugs and coils cheap and easy. One of the only benefits of the Thing.

4everRS
January 8th, 2013, 22:57
Where are coils cheap?

January 8th, 2013, 23:16
eBay, unless you want Genuine Audi. I did the Chinese coil packs and I wouldn't do them again. Better off if you can troubleshoot it down to one coil and replace. I do have to say, replacing coils and plugs on this car is the easiest I've ever had. Well, with the motor in front of the headlights as Jezza from Top Gear pointed out.

mbagge01
January 8th, 2013, 23:26
Even with my eurocharged tune, should I just stick with oem coils and plugs or should I go colder plugs or gap smaller. Mind you, I am not getting any cel or misfire codes on vagcom. I know most people would probably saw not to change anything until a code arises but with over 100,000 miles, I would assume it is just a matter of time. My car does have the E revision coils but from what I understand, those were out when the car was released. Have any improvements been made since?

V8weight
January 9th, 2013, 00:14
Search... I had a pretty substantial thread pertaining to plug gaps... If I remember correctly I found the sweet spot to be .026

mbagge01
January 9th, 2013, 01:23
Do you happen to know off the top of your head what stock gap the plugs are. I am assuming you were using OEM plugs.

V8weight
January 9th, 2013, 01:34
Stock specification is .032.... Although they come pre-gapped at .028-.029... Like I said, I had a 4 page thread dedicated to this subject, and found .026 to be ideal.. The name of the thread was "spark plug gap argument thread"...

V8weight
January 9th, 2013, 01:39
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21935-Spark-plug-gap-argument-thread?highlight=spark+plug+gap

kday
January 9th, 2013, 01:43
I would leave the coils alone. You can always replace them later if there is a problem. It's not a known weak spot, and you only need to remove the air box to replace them (cf. e.g. front O2s, which require an engine drop.). Do the plugs though. Factory interval is 10k miles if I remember correctly. I would use OEM plugs. Might as well do air filters at the same time since you'll have the box apart. Careful with the MAF wires.