PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE...RS6, Ace Torque Converter, no waiting...already boxed up and ready to go!

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 18:46
First of all...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hope everyone's holidays were great.

As you know, these RS6 TC's don't grow on trees. If you call Ace, Andre will tell you it could be days, weeks, maybe months until he sees a core come in. This is your chance to get it done easily and quickly.

OK, Ace gets $425 plus shipping.

http://aceconverter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_31&products_id=38

I seem to recall paying about $460ish to my door. I asked Andre to set me up with a good street TC that will handle 500whp and it has the stock stall speed. This is what I have for sale.

I would like either:

1) $600 straight up (and you can sell your own stock TC to recoup the $200 core cost to another lucky contestant)

OR

2) $400 and your stock converter (which I will just sell to someone as a core anyway).

Either way will save you the downtime as you can just swap it in immediately.
Option 1 is the preferable option for me, but I will work with you.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
For shipping purposes, the box weighs 42lbs.
No warranty expessed or implied.

Thanks...
:addict:

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 19:02
What about the one year warranty you get from Ace?

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 19:18
Not sure what you are asking? My "one year" was up back in March, and I don't honestly remember him telling me I had a warranty? Oh well...I only have about 3000-4000 miles on it. Like everything else...nothing will ever happen in a year...

If you are genuinely concerened about a warranty..buy it from Ace. I won't feel bad. Keep in mind if you do it yourself, that may void said warranty. I did do mine myself.

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 19:25
Ok....for the extra $60 I will.

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 19:33
No problem...

lswing
January 1st, 2013, 19:40
I think Andre would give some leeway if there was an issue, guy takes pride in his work...

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 19:44
I think Andre would give some leeway if there was an issue, guy takes pride in his work...

Absolutely without a doubt. I will edit my FS post above to reflect "no warranty" for those who feel they need one.

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 19:47

I would much rather pay the extra $60 for a brand new one with a warranty that hasn't been abused for 3-4k miles....now if it was a more realistic number for a used part, I would have considered it, but for a $60 savings, I'd be a fool.

lswing
January 1st, 2013, 19:50
Or you can figure youve got a perfectly fine rebuild and you wouldnt have to do the footwork or wait. I kind of like knowing a product has been tested and good...

The warranty is actually just a nicety, the real issue for me is the $2k labor for replacement.

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 19:55
If you are in a jam and willing to roll the dice on a used part, it's all good. $.50 on the dollar is usually what people expect to get back on a used part. I'm not in a jam and don't mind the wait.

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 19:59
No problem and no hard feelings...if you don't want it, move on..no problem. I'm absolutely not picking on anyone for wanting a warranty, that's your perogative...My wife actually put all those miles on it driving it to work, but I am wondering how do you "abuse" a TC? It's all hard parts with nothing that wears?

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 20:12
If nothing wears than you wouldn't have ever needed to replace it in the first place. It's all good, we can agree to disagree......I have some used parts I'd like to commission you to sell for me. If I give you 15%, I'll still net 35% more than I ever hoped for.

speedtrapped
January 1st, 2013, 20:20
Play nice now....

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 21:21
If nothing wears than you wouldn't have ever needed to replace it in the first place. It's all good, we can agree to disagree......I have some used parts I'd like to commission you to sell for me. If I give you 15%, I'll still net 35% more than I ever hoped for.

Nothing does wear..the stock TC had a defective O-ring from the get go...newer ones don't and have never had a problem...

If you don't want the TC, can you please go take a dump in someone else's thread?

Play nice now....

Hey Stephen...give me a call...I'll be in Jersey tomorrow...not sure if you are around...

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 21:33
Hmmmmm......I have replaced several bad convertors over the years on various platforms. Im not going to argue this subject with you. Bottom line, I think that a $25 savings over original cost is is ridiculous to ask of a part that has been used for a year and has 3-4k miles on it. It is your part to sell for whatever you want, there is an a$$ for every seat.

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 21:48
...not sure what discussion we are having? I posted a thread trying to sell something and you, for some reason, are breaking my balls?

4everRS
January 1st, 2013, 21:56
...not sure what discussion we are having? I posted a thread trying to sell something and you, for some reason, are breaking my balls?
Agreed. No need for this na1mt. If you need something to do, play solitare.

GLWS Mike.

JSRS6
January 1st, 2013, 21:57
Gentlemen, this is rs6.com, not Audizine. Just saying.

na1mt
January 2nd, 2013, 02:25
I asked about a warranty thinking that it was new being that it was discounted $25 from the new price. Instead of a simple straightforward answer, it was coupled with a wiseass remark and comments about needing to change his add. If someone is going to act like a tool with their comments they should expect the same in return. I didn't ask for his explanation of why it didn't have a warranty, or where I should buy it if I needed one....I asked if it had a warranty.

ttboost
January 2nd, 2013, 12:19
Well that explains it. I seriously doubt you will find anyone else on this forum that will find ANYTHING I said on page one a "smartass comment", but I was wrong once before. (OK,THAT was a smartass comment)

For the record, I NEVER expected anyone to assume that I was selling a NEW Ace TC, as MOST here know that I had one and I am now doing a manual swap (it's in my sig). BUT, since you asked about it, I thought it would be a good idea to repost that tidbit in my original post, JUST IN CASE ANYONE ELSE ASKED.
If you took anything I said as a smartass comment..SORRY. But for the record, If you didn't want it, or didn't want to make an offer, all you had to do was never repost in my thread. Sorry for the confusion and have a Happy New Year.

kevin
January 2nd, 2013, 14:01
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/vwmeister/BeatDeadHorse.gif

speedtrapped
January 2nd, 2013, 14:11
MIke, working today.... nose to the grindstone....

Amulet-S6
January 3rd, 2013, 17:33
Gentlemen, this is rs6.com, not Audizine. Just saying.

Now that's funny stuff!

Keep Smiling, Jim

Amulet-S6
January 3rd, 2013, 17:40
(Non-mechanical guy thinking out loud here - I fix teeth for a living)

I just turned over 122k miles, but no tranny issues to date. It's the TC that fails and leads to the demise of the trans correct? Does it make any sense to replace the torque converter to prevent future tranny failure? And are these ACE converters an "upgrade" of some sort to the OEM model?

Jim

ttboost
January 3rd, 2013, 21:51
(Non-mechanical guy thinking out loud here - I fix teeth for a living)

I just turned over 122k miles, but no tranny issues to date. It's the TC that fails and leads to the demise of the trans correct? Does it make any sense to replace the torque converter to prevent future tranny failure? And are these ACE converters an "upgrade" of some sort to the OEM model?

Jim

Yes to all of your comments...except the last one. It's not necessarliy an "upgrade" to the OEM, as it is a cheaper reliable replacement. It would be an upgrade if you changed the charactaristics of it, such as stall speed, how it locks, etc...
If your trans is already bad, a new TC will not help..and may exacerbate the problem. If your trans is good, it could prolong the inevitable (if you continue to mod). Mine lasted a year and a half longer...

January 4th, 2013, 00:11
Interesting discussion. According to ACE, some of these cores are not rebuildable. So how do you find a TC then? It cross references to what? Nothing from what I can tell.

ttboost
January 4th, 2013, 00:30
Very good question. He never mentioned to me the possiblity of not having a rebuildable core, but way back when, when I first spoke to Andre about a core, I remember him saying "Good Luck". He said he very rarely comes across a core. Very nice guy and knowlegable too. He told me to find my own core and send it in to him, otherwise, I could be waiting months for one from him.
So I did my research here and found out everyone buys a core for $200, has it sent to Ace, when you get it back, install it and sells yours for $200 to get your core money back. All this really does is save you the downtime shipping to and from Ace and Andre's time, which only matters if your car is taking up someones lift. I am glad I did it as think I got an extra year out of my transmission, which stalled for me to get ready for my manual swap.

lswing
January 4th, 2013, 06:34
Andre talked with me about some cores not being rebuildable, or taking more time or cost if they were in bad shape. I'm guessing some of the seals get trashed when a TC gets goes bad?

Yep, 200 for core, 50 shipping to me, 50 shipping to Andre, 50 shipping back to me. Just buy ttboost's, it's got 4k but should go 100k....

na1mt
January 4th, 2013, 08:39
Andre talked with me about some cores not being rebuildable, or taking more time or cost if they were in bad shape. I'm guessing some of the seals get trashed when a TC gets goes bad?

Yep, 200 for core, 50 shipping to me, 50 shipping to Andre, 50 shipping back to me. Just buy ttboost's, it's got 4k but should go 100k....

Sounds like you have it all figured out.

lswing
January 4th, 2013, 15:53
Just interested in the details of the tc build/failure...bump if the tc is still for sale!

Amulet-S6
January 4th, 2013, 23:51
Continuing my questions of ignorance:

I'm not interested in a manual swap, so once the tc & tranny go bad, what are the options? Meaning are the new tc/tranny going to be prone to the same fate? Or are there improvements to prevent a similar demise?

ttboost
January 5th, 2013, 00:08
There are companies out there that can rebuild the transmission to hold whatever power you need. You will pay though. Most people do the manual swap as it is a cheaper route, albeit a pain in the a$$. I just delivered my original transmission to 517 Transmission in New Jersey as a favor for the buyer. My guess is it will be $5k-$7k to do it right. They have pricing on their website.

January 5th, 2013, 01:49
Don't want to TJ but, since I've never seen one with a manual swap for sale, what's it worth? Less? More? Same? I know guys do it for their own personal preference, kinda like my house is pink.....but what's the $$

ttboost
January 5th, 2013, 02:19
SteveKen sold his. I would think he got more than he would have if it was an auto? I think if you buy a manual RS6, you are buying a car that will likely NEVER have a transmission or TC problem. Priceless? I'm doing mine because I know I can do it cheaper than rebuilding my auto, no other reason.

January 5th, 2013, 02:30
It's a personal preference for the manual swap. Mine will never be because the wife can't drive it to the grocery store and smoke the 911 next to her. I won't because well, I suck at driving a stick....IMHO this is a gentleman's car. Some car's faster, some cars better, but not a better car for me at this point in my life.

ttboost
January 5th, 2013, 03:00
Yeah.. I may not keep mine..I kinda miss my 996 Turbo...but we'll see...

January 5th, 2013, 03:06
I miss my 610hp/600tq 468 cu Keith Craft powered 2500lb Shelby Cobra replica too.....but would I trade? Hell no....

ttboost
January 5th, 2013, 11:29
Very nice! Well. I'm also contemplating building another TT muscle car (Maybe a 66-67 Chevelle). I built a fuel injected intercooled twin turbo Camaro and sold it to buy a 996 Turbo...Miss them both, but the Camaro is obviously cheaper to build and cheaper to own, but lacks the obvious qualities of the P-Car. Choices....

Ace TC still for sale.

SteveKen
January 5th, 2013, 17:01
SteveKen sold his. I would think he got more than he would have if it was an auto? I think if you buy a manual RS6, you are buying a car that will likely NEVER have a transmission or TC problem. Priceless? I'm doing mine because I know I can do it cheaper than rebuilding my auto, no other reason.

As I've said before, price is relative. I sold mine without even advertising it and didn't care that I took a bit of a hit on it because it was the test bed for the mechanical swap components. If I wanted to get $30k for it, then I probably would still have it. I'm resigned to the fact that 99% of cars sell for less than you buy them for.

Anyway, my opinion is that the manual is indeed the better choice from a longevity standpoint. Audi failed in the implementation of the transmission, which is shared with the BMW 7 series of the same generation. It was the best they had at the time, but it still wasn't good enough. Nothing can be done to these transmissions to make them any more durable, period.

Lastly, if you still have the TC, you're free to lower the price if you want to sell it. na1mt should have merely just said you are asking too much if that's how he feels. I have no idea what its worth, but just like the car itself, you will sell it for what you're satisfied getting for it. Like the car, its not getting any more expensive the longer you hold onto it though. Just my $0.02

ttboost
January 5th, 2013, 19:28
Exactly Steve...everyone has their opinions...and they are not right or wrong...I've stated what I think the "value" is, but like everything...I put a price on it and am waiting to hear offers...no different than anything else for sale in the world...it's worth whatever anyone will pay..and if I accept that, great, and if I don't...it will be a wheel chock for the rest of it's natural life...Trust me...I'm not looking to retire off my Ace TC, just looking to get a fair price for it. I didn't say my price was "firm", I said that's what I would like. If someone doesn't want to pay that, offer me something else or move on...easy.

4.2Crew
January 5th, 2013, 20:47
Exactly Steve...everyone has their opinions...and they are not right or wrong...I've stated what I think the "value" is, but like everything...I put a price on it and am waiting to hear offers...no different than anything else for sale in the world...it's worth whatever anyone will pay..and if I accept that, great, and if I don't...it will be a wheel chock for the rest of it's natural life...Trust me...I'm not looking to retire off my Ace TC, just looking to get a fair price for it. I didn't say my price was "firm", I said that's what I would like. If someone doesn't want to pay that, offer me something else or move on...easy.

I'm with you, Mike...

Everything is relative. I do NOT have stable full of daily drivers.... Therefore, if my TC took a dump today, I'd give you MORE than what you're asking----just to minimize logistics and down time. For me, mitigating the cost of a piece of shit rental car for a few weeks and the overall hassle factor is worth it! Thanks offering this to the community!

GLWS!

ttboost
January 15th, 2013, 22:27
Still for Sale.