PDA

View Full Version : anyone run a catch can(s)?

blmlozz
December 31st, 2012, 23:31
I'm looking at the self-study, and I can't help but notice that it would appear that the PCV system in this car is similar to the pan-cake style system in the APB, only it looks like there's two of everything.

Essentially, it looks like you would need to run 2 small catch cans in-line for either bank, or possibly one with 2 dirty side intake ports (which most cans do not have that are mutli-ported), prefereably just after the pan-cake valve where it runs into the non-charged runners to the turbos.

I have a very small 8oz JLT CC I'm using on the V that I can see as being perfect for something like this, but just wonderinf if anyone's come up with a cleaner solution .

na1mt
January 1st, 2013, 00:53
Search function is your friend

blmlozz
January 1st, 2013, 01:38
lol, I'm getting the impression just about every question I'm going to have is going to be in here somewhere. I suppose sometimes I just enjoy discussion for the heck of it, I kind of know from experience that with a 10 year old platform *everything* has been addressed at one point or another 20 times. I simply suppress that and blurt out threads from excitement >_>

Ahh well, I'll take the hint.

Thanks!

lswing
January 1st, 2013, 02:21
Discussion content below...glad you brought it back up. This along with blocking off the sai seems interesting...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17933-Oil-Catch-Can-needed

blmlozz
January 1st, 2013, 02:26
I had found that thread actually, and at least one poster has commented about the necessity for dual cans. So it seems like I'm pretty clear on routing- tapping into the lines from the pancake to the intake runners.

it may be a little difficult to plumb in a catch can into the pcv system, but doable. i'd also get two, since there are two lines from the pcv going to the inlet of the turbos

i changed out the pcv valve last weekend... my rs6 has 70k miles... and the pcv valve looked like it was caked with oil gunk. i have some pictures of the old pcv valve. cleaned out some of the pcv system lines... definitely a lot of oil gunk or oil from blow by. i'd love to disconnect the entire tubing and intercoolers to clean them out, but there's almost no room to disconnect the clamp coming from the charge side of the turbo. i tried finding the hook up point of the pcv system to the inlet and intake manifold... no luck... probably be possible if you remove the intake manifold.

sounds like a DIY thread in the making when I find a C5 to call my own, as I haven't located other threads on the topic thus far.

hahnmgh63
January 1st, 2013, 02:47
I'm running two catch cans right in inline in the hoses you are talking about, right after the pancake valve and into the intake pipe between the MAF's and the Turbo's, on each side respectively of course. I'm running a pair of overpriced but nice catch cans from Elite Engineering. They are machined aluminum and have a nice threaded body to easily unscrew and drain, also with some Heavy steel wool/Brillow pad like material in the top half on the inlet side to help moisture and oil condensate on. They do not catch a lot of oil but they do catch a bit, every little bit counts.

blmlozz
January 1st, 2013, 04:05
How much would you say is not a lot? 1-3oz over 4-5kmiles? I just realized that most of the blow-by is going to come on the charge side of the compressor wheel and the I/C bricks and manifold are going to get coated in oil anyway..

I've been away from turbo's too long =.=

I already have one of these;
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=378&zenid=28ghnbs82lujicc7mduv6dchi2
They're probably half the size of a soda can, they're very compact and I think they'd be perfect for this application FWIW.

hahnmgh63
January 1st, 2013, 16:25
A total of 2~3oz total from the two between oil changes. The Intercoolers do seem to be much cooler but I do use a combination of AcesIV and Torco Unleaded Octane Booster.

blmlozz
January 1st, 2013, 16:53
That does seem worth it, considering I take It your oci's are within the 3-5k range. Thanks!

hahnmgh63
January 1st, 2013, 17:03
I change oil at 5~6K intervals with Redline 5W-40 and 300ml of Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction additive. I picked up a couple of cases of it when I was living in Germany for a couple of years and still have a bit to go.