PDA

View Full Version : Amazing - even the new A8 (not just the S8) is quicker and faster than the C5 RS6...

ZCD2.7T
December 31st, 2012, 13:56
Yes, I know that it's 8-9 years later, but to me it's stunning that Audi's executive class luxury sedan runs a 12.5 second 1/4 mile:

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2013/road-test-specs.html

It runs even with my tuned B8 S4, at least in a straight line, and gets pretty decent gas mileage for such a large car.

We're truly living in the best "golden age" of the automobile so far....

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/audi/a8/2013/oem/2013_audi_a8_sedan_30t-quattro_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

hahnmgh63
December 31st, 2012, 15:28
Especially with a Weight as tested of 4693lbs. Similiar TQ to a RS6, but less power. Shows how much better there tranny is for one thing.

Chung
December 31st, 2012, 17:38
Especially with a Weight as tested of 4693lbs. Similiar TQ to a RS6, but less power. Shows how much better there tranny is for one thing.

Agreed. These numbers are almost against physics but I think the new transmission could be the answer. How much quicker are the ones that have the manual conversions I wonder...

ZCD2.7T
December 31st, 2012, 18:13

I'd bet that it's a combination of the 8 speed transmission PLUS Audi seriously under-rating the engine's true output. If the S8's results are any indicator, then this A8's version of the 4.0T is probably putting out close to 500 hp.

The S8, while rated at 520 hp, actually put down 580 hp in a recent Motor Trend Comparison test.

mrdave
December 31st, 2012, 18:14
Way better transmission + underrated output numbers would be my guess. It's probably more like 420 Hp at the wheels.

edit: beaten by ZCD2.7T :hey:

Fonzie Audi
December 31st, 2012, 18:59
My 2013 S6 with the 4.0T motor put down 369 on a mustang dyno and 391 dynojet dyno, stock. Not sure what the drivetrain loss % is but I'm sure the crank is above 420.

dab
December 31st, 2012, 19:48
I believe launch control is the answer to the low 0-60 and 1/4 mile, which goes back to the tranny. my next car will be an used 2013 s6, can't wait to see what it would do with an apr chip.

blmlozz
December 31st, 2012, 20:09
I believe launch control is the answer to the low 0-60 and 1/4 mile, which goes back to the tranny. my next car will be an used 2013 s6, can't wait to see what it would do with an apr chip.

a lot of this is due in part to a steep 1st gear and an ass ton of low-end torque. The faster gear shifting contributes a bit, and then these 4.0T's are obviously way under-ratted. If you look @ the edmunds review, they actually achieved ~ 1/2 second slower results with the traction control turned on.

regardless..edmunds is basicly saying this A8 is as fast as a CTS-V or F10 M5 in a straight line. Nevermind a decade old super-sedan.

na1mt
December 31st, 2012, 23:20
Yeah and with a $100k price tag

January 2nd, 2013, 02:31
If money grew on trees, none of us would be here.

JSRS6
January 2nd, 2013, 03:40
I thought the saying went "If money grew on trees, it would be worthless." :hihi:
But as Dave would say, " That's what the damn Fed is doing. In a few years, our dollar will be worthless!"

January 2nd, 2013, 03:47
Yep!! and I still wouldn't be able to afford a new A8....my paycheck would double, the price of a new A8 will double.....Potatoe, Potato....

DHall1
January 2nd, 2013, 22:43
Oh even better.

FED prints trillions. Hands trillions to the banks in return for all the mortgages. We pay our mortgage to??? The FED? Well, how in the hell did they get the paper? Why they printed paper to get the mortage paper. Oh right. And who owns the FED? A private group of bankers.

Then inflation hits us like a brick and water is 2 dollars a gallon.

I'am not complaining. This is the way it is and I have 2 RS6s out in the garage and a big smile on my face.

I thought the saying went "If money grew on trees, it would be worthless." :hihi:
But as Dave would say, " That's what the damn Fed is doing. In a few years, our dollar will be worthless!"

January 2nd, 2013, 22:59
2 RS's??!! Damn, I need a 3rd to keep up ;) And a little inflation would be nice, just to get someone to buy something today that they think will be more expensive tomorrow instead of cheaper, like real estate.

Aronis
January 6th, 2013, 19:29
I've been driving my new A8L with 4.0 for a few months. It's impressively fast and quick.

I was concerned I may miss the RS too much and end up leaving the A8 in the garage....

I'm curious to see what the aftermarket coders will have to offer for the 4.0 T.

The S6 is ham stringed by the transmission as the DSG 7 speed is limited to 450 foot pounds of torque (um, limited by it's transmission, sounds familiar) while the A8L shares the same transmission as the S8 (like to know what differences there really are before tuning).

Mike

DHall1
January 7th, 2013, 01:54
Mike,

Put a proper flash on your RS6 ecu/tcu and watch the A8L in the rear view mirror.

Doh

I've been driving my new A8L with 4.0 for a few months. It's impressively fast and quick.

I was concerned I may miss the RS too much and end up leaving the A8 in the garage....

I'm curious to see what the aftermarket coders will have to offer for the 4.0 T.

The S6 is ham stringed by the transmission as the DSG 7 speed is limited to 450 foot pounds of torque (um, limited by it's transmission, sounds familiar) while the A8L shares the same transmission as the S8 (like to know what differences there really are before tuning).

Mike