PDA

View Full Version : 4.2T tech reference guide?

blmlozz
December 29th, 2012, 17:51
I have a nifty PDF on the B5 RS4 and B5 S4 that sort of highlight the 'differences' or improvements in the engine over the 2.8 or 2.7T vs the RS4 2.7T.

basicly I'm looking for the one for the 4.2T that highlights the improvements over the corporate 4.2L N/A motor.

ultimately, I'm interested in whether a N/A 4.2L could be used as a replacement block with RS6 heads and rods/pistons(although from a recent thread it appears the rods are the same).

I know that, for example, the B5 RS4 block is stregnthened a bit but most of the differences are in extra oil/cooling jets in the heads and some additional porting and different cam's.

Which strictly are not really relevent since these can be sourced individually, and the APB has proven to be reliable up to 700whp with a girdle and some other bits.

I did search, but naturally vbulletin search function is useless, and google didn't produce any helpful results either.

lswing
December 29th, 2012, 21:01
I'll try and upload it later, Audi made a sweet brochure for the engine details...

Dmb408
December 29th, 2012, 22:39
Is the OP just asking about the study guide, if so you can just google C5 RS6 study guide and you'll find it. I think on audizine or something.

V8weight
December 29th, 2012, 22:56
Just search for self study guide here on the forum.... It gets reposted about twice a year...

blmlozz
December 29th, 2012, 23:27
Just search for self study guide here on the forum.... It gets reposted about twice a year...
people who suggest to use the fourm search have never acutally used it themselves I find..
I dare you to use vbulletin search with the line ' rs6 self study guide ' and screenshot your first page results and point me to where this pdf is.

I did however find it on google, so thanks dmb, i must have forgotten what its techincally called.

intentions are to have a spare block to build up while driving the rs-sex. Naturally rs6 short blocks are rare, but if i can use a a6 or s6/s8 4.2 .. Those are more easily locatable.

lswing
December 30th, 2012, 00:04
There was a full rs6 motor on here twice in the last few months. Try using the search function, sorry just kidding...

They both might have sold, why not post asking for the motor you want?

blmlozz
December 30th, 2012, 02:26
because I'm day dreaming and saying its research D=

V8weight
December 30th, 2012, 02:36
people who suggest to use the fourm search have never acutally used it themselves I find..
I dare you to use vbulletin search with the line ' rs6 self study guide ' and screenshot your first page results and point me to where this pdf is.

I did however find it on google, so thanks dmb, i must have forgotten what its techincally called.

intentions are to have a spare block to build up while driving the rs-sex. Naturally rs6 short blocks are rare, but if i can use a a6 or s6/s8 4.2 .. Those are more easily locatable.
Ya, I couldn't tell ya...I've never come to this forum to ask advice, only to provide it...

4.2Crew
December 30th, 2012, 13:38

Wow!... You ask for help. Don't get the info spoon-fed. Then respond with this tone....

V8Wieght (Pat) is one of the more knowledgeable, helpful and selfless contributors on this forum.

Good luck your future inquiries...

MaxRS6
December 30th, 2012, 14:05

What is that on the below...Line 5??? Search seemed to work fine...went to advance, select all documents, place "self study" and boom. I found it several other ways through the search but I won't bore with all the ways as we all know "There are 50 ways to leave your lover,...drop off the key Lee, etc, etc.). It really isn't that hard with basic search skills (limit specific words, select parameters, etc, etc)....my daughter pretty well had it down by age 5...

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/SelfStudyScreenShot4thosethatask_zpsf27f37c1.jpg

We are all glad to try to help anyone that asks nicely...

blmlozz
December 30th, 2012, 15:28
Wow!... You ask for help. Don't get the info spoon-fed. Then respond with this tone....

V8Wieght (Pat) is one of the more knowledgeable, helpful and selfless contributors on this forum.

Good luck your future inquiries...
That was not my intention, and as max has provided above, it appears I have been incorrect in my pesumptions anyway.

My experiences with the vbulletin search function have been less than stellar(yes, I did say page 1.. but to highlight my point, his search results are 5 lines down from what his word for word search is, I had tried to search myself and didn't see it, but I must have just missed it, thus my comment about the search function),

I have used google to simply search the forums in the past, and maybe vbulletin has improved since last I attempted to use it. In this respect I did not have the correct wording to search adequately, and I suppose I was also a bit cranky that day so I probably should have more carefully worded my post. It's far too easy to say what you're thinking instead of smiling and saying thank you in a forum enviroment as I'm sure everyone is aware.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies if everyone are willing to accept it in any event.

I was rude when others were helping me and for some reason the audizine came out in me. I have been posting there again recently in my other interests for a new car, and the vibe from that place is like a particularly nasty STD, it's ugly, smelly, it follows you everywhere and it's hard to get rid of.
Once in a while I forget where I am I suppose, and as you and others have pointed out, this place is far too classy to allow that type of posting.

MaxRS6
December 30th, 2012, 15:56
^No problem and the internet thingy doesn't convey tone/intent very well at times. I'm sure we are all glad to have you aboard and I look forward to your project progress.

Have a great 2013!

4.2Crew
December 30th, 2012, 18:37
That was not my intention, and as max has provided above, it appears I have been incorrect in my pesumptions anyway.

My experiences with the vbulletin search function have been less than stellar(yes, I did say page 1.. but to highlight my point, his search results are 5 lines down from what his word for word search is, I had tried to search myself and didn't see it, but I must have just missed it, thus my comment about the search function),

I have used google to simply search the forums in the past, and maybe vbulletin has improved since last I attempted to use it. In this respect I did not have the correct wording to search adequately, and I suppose I was also a bit cranky that day so I probably should have more carefully worded my post. It's far too easy to say what you're thinking instead of smiling and saying thank you in a forum enviroment as I'm sure everyone is aware.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies if everyone are willing to accept it in any event.

I was rude when others were helping me and for some reason the audizine came out in me. I have been posting there again recently in my other interests for a new car, and the vibe from that place is like a particularly nasty STD, it's ugly, smelly, it follows you everywhere and it's hard to get rid of.
Once in a while I forget where I am I suppose, and as you and others have pointed out, this place is far too classy to allow that type of posting.

We Cooo!

This forum is by for the most civil, helpful, patient, and humble tight-knit online automotive communities, IMHO. I totally get the full-contact nature of other related forums.

If it weren't for the RS6.com community, and the demeanor of it's participants, I likely wouldn't brave the twisted love-hate ownership of these damn things!

Cheers!

nene
December 30th, 2012, 19:45
Check White Papers section (http://www.htms.org/articles.html)