PDA

View Full Version : Cracking Carbon trim, creaky dash

marklar182
December 28th, 2012, 22:43
Anyone else have cracking in the carbon trim gelcoat showing up? I like to think I take pretty good care of my car, it is normally garaged....

Also the cold weather brings out all kinds of creaks and groans from the dash/instrument cluster, anyone else get this?

Brav
December 28th, 2012, 23:46
Standard fair. usually the carbon above the glove box cracks, UV damage I suspect.

lswing
December 29th, 2012, 00:24
Creaky car yes, carbon perfect, of course we only get three months of sun per year...

MaxRS6
December 29th, 2012, 00:42
All my carbon currently okay...Creaks and groans??? Yes I do have them....the car does too...

ben916
December 29th, 2012, 03:26
Anyone else have cracking in the carbon trim gelcoat showing up? I like to think I take pretty good care of my car, it is normally garaged....

Also the cold weather brings out all kinds of creaks and groans from the dash/instrument cluster, anyone else get this?

Yes, my carbon above the glove box is slightly cracked(only visible in the sun).
going from 35degrees to 75 degrees doesn't help

marklar182
December 30th, 2012, 15:32
Yes, my carbon above the glove box is slightly cracked(only visible in the sun).
going from 35degrees to 75 degrees doesn't help

I agree the temp changes probably are a big issue. I just noticed mine when all these freezing temps hit.

blmlozz
December 30th, 2012, 15:37
Matt @ ocarbon could probably sand the scratch down and reglaze that for you for fairly cheap. He's all over the place on the internet, and I haven't heard any complaints about his work.

marklar182
January 2nd, 2013, 16:59
Matt @ ocarbon could probably sand the scratch down and reglaze that for you for fairly cheap. He's all over the place on the internet, and I haven't heard any complaints about his work.

I will give him a buzz!

marklar182
January 2nd, 2013, 17:01
Also, since we are not used to cold temps in such long stretches here;

My Power Steering groans like hell when I first back out in the morning. The fluid is fresh and full, and doesn't do it in the warm months, and it didnt do this last year. May be a pump or rack on the way out?

Kgnast
January 5th, 2013, 17:18
Also, since we are not used to cold temps in such long stretches here;

My Power Steering groans like hell when I first back out in the morning. The fluid is fresh and full, and doesn't do it in the warm months, and it didnt do this last year. May be a pump or rack on the way out?

My 4.2 was the same way. Pump had to be replaced. Rack was crap too. Replaced it with an AllRoad 4.2 rack. I couldn't find an RS6 rack which has a quicker ratio.... The RS6 I just bought is showing some of this as well.... Very minimal, and only when the car is completely brick-ass cold..... Once warmed up, non-issue with the pump. Georgia car is not used to the 20-30 degree temps we've had around here in the NorthEast lately.