PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control gone bad

cgyrs6
December 17th, 2012, 00:19
Hi All,

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I didn't find it on a search.

A few weeks ago I got a flicker or two of the headlight dimmer control warning light. This warning came one as I pounded over some rough road in my neighbourhood. A day or two later, over some more bumps, the light came on for good.

Looking in the owners manual, it says, dynamic headlight dimmer control, take to dealer for servicing. I took it to my service guy and he'd reset the lights, but the light has stayed on.

They are aimed perfectly but they don't dip and reset when the lights are turned on and that annoying warning light is always on. I checked the link to the front left suspension arm and it appears to fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

December 17th, 2012, 03:38
Is there a rear link? Thought there was but maybe not. Check the plugs? (wifes' idea)

ttboost
December 17th, 2012, 13:06
Transmission is probably going south...

JSRS6
December 17th, 2012, 13:59
its the box itself that is bad. the level sensor with the arm that is connected to the control arm. i have the same issue. they are like 50 bucks iirc.

lswing
December 18th, 2012, 02:11
Transmission is probably going south...

Correct 100% given enough time:)

You talking about the little level control boxes front and rear, was just looking at those earlier today. Off topic, but ever since lowering car headlights have been very low, someone mentioned messing with those boxes to trick the lights? I'm leveled out with vag settings...

ttboost
December 18th, 2012, 02:20
For those that have no idea what we are talking about...it's this little box with the linkage on it, connected to your front left control arm...

lswing
December 18th, 2012, 04:15
For those that have no idea what we are talking about...it's this little box with the linkage on it, connected to your front left control arm...

Mmm, salty, and i thought mine looked bad:)

ttboost
December 18th, 2012, 12:15
no salt..dirt..with a reflection of the flash...:rs6kiss:

cgyrs6
December 19th, 2012, 02:36
Thanks - I'll replace that critter and see what happens. You think that one in the picture looks dirty, mine was covered with at least 1/8" of road grit and salt.

lswing
December 19th, 2012, 03:21
Front and back just to confirm, they look easy to access, on a lift...

CornersWell
May 16th, 2014, 16:27
My car just threw this code. Any follow ups on this? Is it the little motor boxes? Not surprising, given this is now an 11-year old car, I suppose!

CW