PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rebuild their own 5HP24A?

blmlozz
December 9th, 2012, 02:09
I appreciate the responses in my other thread, and having considered about another dozen vehicles to which I should empty my pockets for, I've come full-circle to the RS6 again.

One of the problems I'm sure everyone is aware of is the trans in this thing's ability to explode at random, multiple times.

I sort of wrote off the C5 early for this reason and a few others, but mostly for the trans problems.

I'd like to revisit this however, and ask if anyone has attempted this before. I presume only the clutch bands and Torque converter go out, slip, what have you, so it should be fairly straight forward.

That said I have never rebuilt a trans. I've rebuild a few engines, head's and ripped some powertrains out, but nothing like a trans. I also understand however, that the 5HP is just a regular planetary auto, nothing fancy.

I have also considered a warranty, but as I would be looking at a higher mileage unit and probably modifying it, it really doesn't make sense to do that either. Aside from the cost, which I've been quoted 3-5K for the warranty (ie as much as a trans)

So that said;

a) if you have done this, on a scale of 10, how hard was it? --yanking it from the car aside.
b) who/where are the master rebuild kits sold? And of course; how much?

I'm hoping my DIY experience will be able to off-set the immense costs of owning this vehicle, and while I would plan on an O1E conversion, the fact that it would likely cost 6-10K itself is off-putting. The reality is I will probably have to rebuild the trans in my C5 at some point before this happens.

Thanks in advance.

blmlozz
December 9th, 2012, 14:09
ignore this thread.

forum searching ftw!

December 9th, 2012, 21:29
Go for it!! Then pull it, rebuild it and make a nice comprehensive thread so I can use it!.. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my broke one till the summer thaw (I hope).

blmlozz
December 10th, 2012, 02:16
haha, well, the idea would be that I could do it myself 'in case of emergency' The master plan would be an 01E conversion *before* it breaks.

I have the tear-down manual pdf, and I located someone that sells the ZF overhaul kit. It's < $1000 from what I've seen.

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=product&id=109&parent=33

The problem appears to be that you forget that trans rebuilding isn't as simple as an engine. There's a lot of tolerance checking and verification of hard-parts which be impossible without the correct tools. So all you'd be doing is cleaning/ resealing and replacing clutches, and as I have no experience in rebuilding a trans, that may or not be the common source of failure for the 24a.

After thinking about it for a few hours, if It came right down to it, I'd probably have someone rebuild it for me and just work the labor for R&R. That's what I did with my 01E in the S4 and it *still* managed to get screwed up by the rebuilder.

December 10th, 2012, 02:31
I've got a spare trans or two that I'm going to do when I find the time (read....when mine quits completely). In the meantime I bought a spare to drive. Trans rebuild kit about $650 on eBay, another $150 or so for the VB kit from ZF.

Someone like Tozo would be the best to rebuild it. Can't beat his experience.

kevin
December 10th, 2012, 17:03
blmlozz, good idea leaving the rebuild to an expert with years of experience. I have over 30 years experience in the automotive repair field and I wouldn't consider rebuilding one either. Too many things that could/can go wrong..