PDA

View Full Version : Parking an RS6 at a BMW Dealer

oregonbob
October 31st, 2003, 15:42
OK, I had fun yesterday.

My wife’s X5 4.6 was in for service at the local BMW dealer. (The car has had a few electrical/software gremlins from day 1. Kudos to the dealer and BMW NA for trying to fix the problems. Unfortunately, to date they have been unsuccessful.) I drove my wife to the BMW dealer in my RS6 to retrieve her X5.

When we went to pick up the X5, the service manager and the BMW NA area service rep came over to speak with my wife and I about the work that was done to the car. We were all standing in the service writing area and my wife and I had our backs to the parking lot. When we were finished chatting about the X5, I invited the service manager and the BMW NA rep to look at the RS6. When I turned around, I discovered about ten of the service technicians had crowded around the RS6, peeking in and under the car.

Well, I used the remote to unlock the car and invited all to have a look. What fun answering their questions. They really were an interested group wanting to learn about any high performance car, even if it was manufactured by the competition. The brakes and carbon fiber engine cover drew the most praise. Someone asked specific questions about the turbos which I could not answer. No one liked the battery in the trunk (myself included) and questioned why run flats were not standard and the spare eliminated. They were generally surprised at the engine output considering its relatively small size (a 545/745 is 4.4 liters; the M5 is 5 liters) and we discussed the merits of forced induction vs. displacement. Eventually, the crowd dispersed and I let the service manager and the BMW NA rep drive the RS6.

The service manager, who drove first, commented on the flat cornering. The BMW rep commented that Audi’s DRC is comparable to BMW’s Active Roll Stabilization. I suppose that’s a reasonable analogy. They liked the steering and felt that car was very stable. The BMW rep mentioned the new BMW Active Steering allowed for small wheel movements to make turns at slow speeds. It sounds like a great idea but I wondered about an artificial feel. He commented on how he liked the RS6 steering. This is interesting because, despite the front wheel drive nature of the RS6, I like its rack and pinion steering feel over the M5’s recirculating ball but BMW is often lauded for their great steering feel while Audi is often criticized for numb steering. Hummm. (I expect the E60 M5 to be rack and pinion.)

I mentioned turbo lag and the service manager commented that he thought the turbo lag was very minimal and the car made loads of low end torque, even compared to an M5. He liked the paddle shifters and seemed to like that marriage of the turbo engine with the auto transmission. We didn’t do any high speed driving, just some neighborhood road stuff. But, I think it is fair to say all were impressed. We even joked that BMW needs to look at the RS6 while it finalizes the E60 M5 design. The BMW rep said he was sure that would be done – if not already complete.

I had previously been provided an internal BMW email that stated the E60 M5 would not be available until September 2005. The BMW NA rep insisted in would be available in 2004. Guess time will tell.

I am quite proud of the RS6. And, I am very impressed with the professionalism of the BMW folks. It made for a fun and pleasant day – even though we later discovered the X5 updates did not solve our gremlin problem.

Oh well, that’s another post.

Bob

avdh
October 31st, 2003, 16:06
Cool :D

Just one point though. The RS6 power distribution is 50/50, under normal conditions, and thus not more to the front wheels, hence not a FWD tendency.

Bauer
October 31st, 2003, 17:58
Bob-

Thanks for the write up......I think any car fan can appreciate the RS6 even thought it may not be for them, I know I can. Its kind of funny how the car attracts attenetion from people who know what it is. It is stealth but then not all at the same time....its sort of like Clark Kent and Superman:D

oregonbob
October 31st, 2003, 22:12
"This is interesting because, despite the front wheel drive nature of the RS6, I like its rack and pinion steering feel over the M5’s recirculating ball but BMW is often lauded for their great steering feel while Audi is often criticized for numb steering."

When I said "front drive nature" of the RS6, I meant that the A6 platform was designed to be both FWD and AWD. Therefore, the engine is pushed somewhat forward of the wheels to allow for the front drive configuration and it thus a little nose heavy. The RS6 has to live with these A6 design compromises.

I don't know if the RS6 split is 50/50 or not. Either way, it handles fine for me.

Bob

P.S. How do you move text from a prior post and make it appear bold??? I see others do it all the time but I cannot figure out how it's done.

AvusRS6
October 31st, 2003, 22:59
I had the same exact experience (minus a BMW rep) with the service dept. A week later, I drove my brother in law to buy a X5 and I saw about 4 sales people crowd my car and even heard "Look at this overpriced Volkswagen...". What an ignorant comment that was. It got very interesting when the same sales person asked me if I've ever driven the M5. I replied, "yes, I've driven the snot out of one and it's a great car". He then said something like "I don't know why you didn't buy a M5 over this car, (then something like) isn't Audi like overpriced VW?" I asked him "what's your point? and may ask what YOU drive?" Then to my surprised he said a Lexus. Oh Boy! The nerve of him stating "overpriced VW"...how ignorant...my brother in law still bought the X5 from them :D

Bauer
October 31st, 2003, 23:07
most car salespeople are ignorant....not all but most.

Speedracer
November 1st, 2003, 02:39
from a prior post and make it appear bold??? I see others do it all the time but I cannot figure out how it's done.

Hit the quote button

oregonbob
November 1st, 2003, 03:41
Originally posted by Speedracer
Hit the quote button

Thanks!!!

Benman
November 1st, 2003, 16:37
Originally posted by oregonbob
When I said "front drive nature" of the RS6, I meant that the A6 platform was designed to be both FWD and AWD. Therefore, the engine is pushed somewhat forward of the wheels to allow for the front drive configuration and it thus a little nose heavy. The RS6 has to live with these A6 design compromises.

A great story and a really good example of how the car won't even get a raised eyebrow by those who don't know yet get "swarmed" by those who do.:cheers:

And yes, it is a front wheel drive platform (afterall, you CAN order an A6 without quattro). And the ENTIRE engine sits in front of the wheel centerline! The fact that quattro got this sucker to handle so well despite the platform dynamics is a HUGE testimate to their engineering prowess!:cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict:

gmbh6
November 1st, 2003, 18:40
Originally posted by AvusRS6
...isn't Audi like overpriced VW?" I asked him "what's your point? and may ask what YOU drive?" Then to my surprised he said a Lexus...

What a moron!

He obviously has been told a few times that he drives an expensive Toyota.......and now resents it.

Except Volks is a far superior auto then any Toyota.

Did you tell him that your expensive Toyota beat the shit out of the M5 in all auto magazine reviews :byeM5: :hihi:

I'm sure that jealous ignorant bafoon would trade cars with you in a heartbeat. :addict: