PDA

View Full Version : RS6 alternator?

Brambo
December 4th, 2012, 02:58
Does anyone know if it has to go into service position to change it out?

SteveKen
December 4th, 2012, 05:01
No you do not.

The bolts securing the A/C line that runs just behind the core support have to be remove to gain some access.

It's a PITA, but it can be done.

4.2Crew
December 4th, 2012, 11:58
You will also likely need to remove:

---2 oil lines from the oil filter location (warning: these can also be a real bitch)
---Serpentine belt from a pulley by off-loading the tensioner
---Lower passenger-side inter-cooler hose

It's a very tight working area, but it can be done.... Also, once the 2 hex bolts that mount the alt in place are removed, be prepared to PRY the damn thing free... The mounting "ears" on the alternater pinch the mounting bracket VERY tight. Once the alt was out, I filed a chamfer into to ears to assist reinstallation (Kyle's idea---4everRS.)

I had mine alt locally rebuilt for $100... Dealer will stick you for $800 for a reman!.... And they will likely NOT have one in stock!

Good luck!

kismetcapitan
December 4th, 2012, 17:53
mine was also rebuilt for about $100, and the total labor added up to about an hour and a half total. Very quick job for my garage and very cheap!

amanda
December 4th, 2012, 18:28
Do you also know that its most likely the voltage regulator pack that fails on the alternator and is a cheap easy fix ;)

4.2Crew
December 4th, 2012, 18:42
Do you also know that its most likely the voltage regulator pack that fails on the alternator and is a cheap easy fix ;)

True!... That was culprit on mine as well.

Alternator still needs to be removed.

If DIY'ing, only replace with a Bosch oem regulator. The aftermarket regs are not as robust (insulated) for the heat and heat cycling exposure.

amanda
December 4th, 2012, 18:51
True!... That was culprit on mine as well.

Alternator still needs to be removed.

If DIY'ing, only replace with a Bosch oem regulator. The aftermarket regs are not as robust (insulated) for the heat and heat cycling exposure.

I know and would only recommend fitting the oem part #077903803a ;)

Brambo
December 5th, 2012, 02:27
I ordered it from meridian auto parts. It was 200 for it rebuilt shipped with a new regulator. 70 I get back when they get the core. I think once it's out, just replace the entire thing. With my luck, if it isn't the alternator already, it would be 3 miles after I replace the regulator. The regulator is not OEM, I may upgrade that. It says L512400A and made in USA so Im about positive it isn't bosch.