PDA

View Full Version : Feeler... Fully functional TIP trans with 53K miles - whats it worth?

alrightroad
November 28th, 2012, 00:37
For a C5 RS6 of course. ECU and TCU both unchipped - never have been. Just weighing my options on 6MT swap and reviewing how much I can recoupe selling the ZF transmission. What is it worth shipping included to US 48 states?

thx

kevin
November 28th, 2012, 01:09
I did a nationwide search on car-part.com and two popped up. No prices though. I'm guessing core value plus $500.

November 28th, 2012, 01:46
Core value for the trans. ECU? How does it run after the swap without the ECU?

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 02:22
I'm doing the same thing, sort of. My trans is JUST starting to slip in 5th..so basically toast. I started my motor and trans removal a little while ago. Spent 2 hours tonight...probably have another hour or so and it will be out...I'm hoping to sell my trans and Ace TC to help fund new parts.

lswing
November 28th, 2012, 06:36
Trans $1k, TC $250, tcu $500, ecu $500...

4.2Crew
November 28th, 2012, 11:42
I'm doing the same thing, sort of. My trans is JUST starting to slip in 5th..so basically toast. I started my motor and trans removal a little while ago. Spent 2 hours tonight...probably have another hour or so and it will be out...I'm hoping to sell my trans and Ace TC to help fund new parts.

So, you're able to drop the motor/trans in about 3hrs! Pics?

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 12:24
Yeah..already done it twice on my buddy's lift, which didn't go high enough to get engine out from underneath easy. My lift goes all the way up. Got exhaust and driveshaft down & coolant drained. Got everything up top undone and ECU and harness on top of motor. Just have to put it in service position and undo all the cooler(s) lines under the front end...messiest part. I plan on losing the trans cooler and the extra radiators, as well as the SAI system. Thinking I'm gonna lose about 50lbs. I'll try to get some pics before I continue...

4.2Crew
November 28th, 2012, 12:56
Yeah..already done it twice on my buddy's lift, which didn't go high enough to get engine out from underneath easy. My lift goes all the way up...
Good info!... Just out of curiousity, what would estimate the minimum clearance (lift hieght) needed to drop the engine? I have a snap-On scissor lift with a total lift height of approx 42." Thanks!

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 13:13
Yeah..that's about the height we had to work with the last time...tougher to do, but it can be done. My buddy has a Greg Smith lift in his garage and the top was between the rafters...bottom of the car was about 42-44 inches. You just might have to pop your ball joints to move the spindle and rotor out of the way to get motor out the side. It MIGHT come out the front, if you have the room, but not sure. We had a lip coming out of the garage, so going out the front was not really safe. Trying to find pics of that job now for reference.

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 13:22
Found them..not great pics, but you get the idea...Maybe had 48 inches...but probably a little less...

You could drop motor on the floor or a smaller table or box and have more room...just tough to work underneath, unbolting the K frame. In the second picture, you can see my buddy standing in the front corner and the car is between waist & chest high...

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 13:28
When I built my new garage, I made sure I had some elbow room...Here is what I am dealing with at my new house...

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 13:31
Other project...13202

4.2Crew
November 28th, 2012, 13:51
When I built my new garage, I made sure I had some elbow room...Here is what I am dealing with at my new house...

Awesome info!... You're an old pro! No wonder you can to an engine drop before lunch!

BTW, the 2 pics in the 7:22am post are viewable, but the attchmts at 7:28 and 7:31 or not...

ttboost
November 28th, 2012, 14:07
Hmm., not sure why..I can see them..just deleted and reloaded...

alrightroad
November 28th, 2012, 20:13

Very nice.