PDA

View Full Version : RS 6, least reliable car for last 15 years!? :)

AndyBG
November 25th, 2012, 01:19
Of course, this isn't true, but still, interesting article...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/11/breaking-bad-warranty-direct-lists-10.html

Chung
November 25th, 2012, 20:10
Not even close. It is almost double the 2nd place.

ben916
November 26th, 2012, 00:35
I think the numbers have to be skewed as the US didn't get the Avant nor the V10TT...
Worldwide, that might be true...

November 26th, 2012, 02:59
From a warranty $ standpoint maybe it is true!! Hell, at least I don't drive a Citroen!.

I know this car isn't cheap, but after 4 days at work today my mouth was watering thinking about driving Thing 1 up the hill :))

nistah
November 27th, 2012, 06:31
LMAO at the warranty co's that wrote policies on these RS6's LMAO I have over a year left on my extended service contract how much more will they pay? LOL

PixieVC
November 30th, 2012, 14:02
You know, this doesn't surprise me at all. Consider - I had a coolant leak on my RS6. It ended up being a $20 plastic part - that required 10 hours of labor to access. Is it smart to pack an engine bay so tightly with various components that to literally accomplish anything even minimally service related, you have to pull the engine out of the car? Pull the engine out to access an auxiliary radiator? It's insanity.

It's a technological marvel, but it was obviously not designed to be serviced, or to last very long. These cars live fast, and die hard - and as they are now filtering down to 2nd and 3rd owners - and depreciating in value...it puts these cars in reach of people who have no ability to pay for the maintenance or operating expenses. They may be able to purchase the car, but they can't afford the car. It has operating expenses on-par with a typical Porsche 911 Turbo... its much more exclusive, and interesting car, especially in the USA where we get so few 'special' European cars like these.

And seeing the E60 M5 as number 2 on that list brings a bit of a smile to my face - I'm glad that my temptations to buy one didn't turn into action...

ttboost
November 30th, 2012, 14:23
Probably a lot truer than we want to believe. Not only is it #1..but almost double the rating of #2... As was said above....our car has a lot of technology than can go bad..and when it does...engine comes out for nearly everything, short of coils and plugs...That's why everyone else can get a warranty for $1000-$1500 while we pay $3k-$4k...

Elevens
November 30th, 2012, 16:36
It's a technological marvel, but it was obviously not designed to be serviced, or to last very long. These cars live fast, and die hard - and as they are now filtering down to 2nd and 3rd owners - and depreciating in value...it puts these cars in reach of people who have no ability to pay for the maintenance or operating expenses. They may be able to purchase the car, but they can't afford the car. It has operating expenses on-par with a typical Porsche 911 Turbo... its much more exclusive, and interesting car, especially in the USA where we get so few 'special' European cars like these.

True Words, but that's were research comes in before you buy. I knew before I bought the car what I was in for. Number one on the priority list was a Warranty (to take care of the Transmission mainly and whatever else popped up). Next was to take care of the DRC (H&R Coilovers) which I was going to do anyway. I didn't even wait for the system to go bad I just replaced them as soon as possible. While the Engine was out I replaced the EGT and Oxygen sensors and the Valve cover gaskets (Warranty covered the EGT sensors and the Valve cover gaskets). The rest of any additional money I spent was all on Mods(Milltek Catless downpipes and Non Res Exhaust, Viper Map, Big wheels and Tires, Anti Roll bars and other minor items) and the car has been a dream. I know others have different opinions, but If approached correctly from the start you should be rewarded with many years of trouble free driving. Remember these cars are going on 10 Years old. I think for the money ( cost of the car and mods) You won't be able to find a car than can come close to it. Hell the other day Had this thing up to 150mph and it was still pulling very strongly, I backed off because I got scared. How fast is it? I don't know, but it is a true super car in every sense......................

Jimmy Joe
December 28th, 2012, 01:52
Well said. Amen.

QuattroRS
December 28th, 2012, 03:15
You seem to have a bitter taste in your mouth with regards to the RS6 you once owned. I guess it gives you pleasure to bash the car on the forum long after you owned it. I dont get it. You have a list of subjective items that carry little actual facts and you bash current owners that may be 2nd or 3rd owners.

The RS6 was not designed to last long? Really
The RS6 was not designed to be serviced? Really

We are all mostly grown here. My RS has cost me all of 1200 dollars the last 6 years to service. It runs as well today than the day it had 20,000 miles. Turning 9 years old this year and I would not own anything other.

You know, this doesn't surprise me at all. Consider - I had a coolant leak on my RS6. It ended up being a $20 plastic part - that required 10 hours of labor to access. Is it smart to pack an engine bay so tightly with various components that to literally accomplish anything even minimally service related, you have to pull the engine out of the car? Pull the engine out to access an auxiliary radiator? It's insanity.

And seeing the E60 M5 as number 2 on that list brings a bit of a smile to my face - I'm glad that my temptations to buy one didn't turn into action...

JSRS6
December 28th, 2012, 04:13
The only other thing i would rather own would be if my car and a b7 rs4 had a baby, cosworth in the rs4. Just saying...I love that interior.

DHall1
December 28th, 2012, 05:35
Yeah, I hated my first one so much I purchased another. Now 2 will sit in the garage and I'm the deadbeat 3rd owner of one. Gasp

Just think, I could strap the engines together and beat that damn Bugatti. I got my 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.

Just think, I passed up the on legendary reputation of GM and the Cadillac product lines.

Oh yeah, I hear MB is having the hardest time keeping gas tanks sealed. AMG past warranty? Oh no... I hear the NHTSA has the gas tank under inspection again and MB has denied all AMG owners any help with costs.

Just a poor deadbeat 3rd owner of a second RS6 ready to go bankrupt when the transmission craps out.

ben916
December 28th, 2012, 05:38
Yeah, I hated my first one so much I purchased another. Now 2 will sit in the garage and I'm the deadbeat 3rd owner of one. Gasp

Just think, I could strap the engines together and beat that damn Bugatti. I got my 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.

Just think, I passed up the on legendary reputation of GM and the Cadillac product lines.

Oh yeah, I hear MB is having the hardest time keeping gas tanks sealed. AMG past warranty? Oh no... I hear the NHTSA has the gas tank under inspection again and MB has denied all AMG owners any help with costs.

Just a poor deadbeat 3rd owner of a second RS6 ready to go bankrupt when the transmission craps out.

Dont forget crappy OEM intercoolers on RS6 #1...

lswing
December 28th, 2012, 05:43

I didnt go bankrupt, but my ass still hurts from dropping $7k on new trans and assorted small things...

I do love the car, and properly sorted can be solid for years. I always figure the parts i'm replacing are 10 years old, so not a worry.

Pixie does have plenty of good points regarding cost and ease of repair compared to other cars, but if you can wrench youre a step ahead, otherwise gotta have a good checkbook!

PS; new trans was worth every buck:) Crisp as a cool fall day...

DHall1
December 28th, 2012, 05:45
Oh yeah, those crappy stock intercoolers that take the car to 440awhp and over 550ft/lbs of torque to the wheels with the proper stage 1-2 flash.

Someone call Randy. His car is a flash in the pan not made to last. At last check he has 170k on the stock motor and tracks the car harder than anyone on this forum on a routine basis.

LS-clearly you can afford your car and dont fall in the category explained by the past owner.

As for ease of repair. Good luck with that on a CTSV or AMG. Call me when they are 9 years old. We shall have a grand time.

lswing
December 28th, 2012, 05:46

Is that so you always have one that is running? I kidd, just kidding, sounds great!

ben916
December 28th, 2012, 05:48
Someone call Randy. His car is a flash in the pan not made to last. At last check he has 170k on the stock motor and tracks the car harder than anyone on this forum on a routine basis.

He will not return my calls...

I think Bigglezworth has him beat with 215k on one of his RS6....

DHall1
December 28th, 2012, 06:20
Yeah, I want to go broke faster. So why not buy another RS6. :revs: Oh wait, my 2nd RS6 has 50k more extended warranty left. I screwed that up big time. I will never go broke at this rate.

I should have got the CTSV. Stupid me.

Is that so you always have one that is running? I kidd, just kidding, sounds great!

MaxRS6
December 28th, 2012, 12:24
He will not return my calls....

Watcha talkin bout Ben?? Did I miss a call/message? I always enjoy speaking with you on the talking wire thingy...;0

MaxRS6
December 28th, 2012, 12:25
Yeah, I want to go broke faster. So why not buy another RS6. :revs: Oh wait, my 2nd RS6 has 50k more extended warranty left. I screwed that up big time. I will never go broke at this rate.

I should have got the CTSV. Stupid me.

I'm happy to help with your project....Send money to Arkansas

Good to have the Dhall commentary back!! 00

ttboost
December 28th, 2012, 13:48
It's gonna be a wonderful new year...I'm glad we made it!!!

DHall1
December 28th, 2012, 14:47
I can do one better. Will be driving thru LR some time on Mon late or Tue. I will toss some 100s out the window. Who ordered the snow down south. Crazy #2 has Michelin PS2s.

I'm happy to help with your project....Send money to Arkansas

Good to have the Dhall commentary back!! 00

MaxRS6
December 28th, 2012, 17:46
I can do one better. Will be driving thru LR some time on Mon late or Tue. I will toss some 100s out the window. Who ordered the snow down south. Crazy #2 has Michelin PS2s.

^If you have time- Let's meet up! Max will buy the traveler some grub/drink

blmlozz
December 29th, 2012, 02:33
As for ease of repair. Good luck with that on a CTSV or AMG. Call me when they are 9 years old. We shall have a grand time.
I've seen (and owned) both

May I ask what you're referring to? The V1 certainly has diff issues, but is otherwise a solid car. the V2 has no reportable problems aside from noisy interior and front rotors that click..

They're multiples easier to fix than even my B5 S4, and frankly, parts cost a fraction of the S4.

the Benz I agree with, the M156's already heave cam and lifter problems that have warranted a class-action suit, and they also more recently like to strip their head-bolts clean off. AMG fuckedup big time on that engine, which is astonishing considering it's coming from a racing company with nearly limitless resources.

As for the report, I fully understand that These cars are not reliable by any stretch of the imagination, and for a DD that might be a problem, but I'm buying this as my toy, and I like to have my hands on the car. Whether it's fixing a leak or replacing parts, I enjoy wrenching on it (mostly)

after B5 S4 ownership, powertrain removals are like periods. you have one once a month, typically you get really bitchy during and up to the pull and right after everything's over you're all happy again :D

The reality however, is within the next 5-10 years these cars are going to depreciate even further, and eventually only DIY'ers that really love the brand are going to be driving them with any regularity, or possibly even only for weekends.

One day beyond that, possibly due in part that we're unlikely to see any RS6's return state side (Audi's always been last in the sales figures, and that's unlikely to change, so they'll always cost too much to import for the potential sales here) they may once again be slightly sought after or they might see a resurgence in popularity for an old classic German sedan but it's far more likely that the scarcity of the vehicle will eventually eliminate any aftermarket supplier's interest as new owners see less sense in spending large amounts of money in the car, which will snow-ball the suppliers for having a reason to keep parts around and thus make them more expensive or harder to maintain until eventually you'll either be stuck or get into a situation where you're rigging parts to make it work, or it'll just sit and rust away.

It's a bit sad to think about, but I don't foresee the day when a C5 RS6 can attain a collector car status, and I believe it will eventually fall victim to a salvage yard like most other modern vehicles. The only ones that will be left are those with too few miles or those driven too infrequently to allow anything to break.

V8weight
December 29th, 2012, 04:26
Easy tiger....

DHall1
December 29th, 2012, 04:52
Yeah, I was being sarcastic to Ms Pixie after her bashing of the RS6. I would have kept my/your AMG till the wheels fell off if were not for Stephen selling Crazy #2. I needed a new daily driver to put miles on and you have the best weekend hotrod you could imagine.

lswing
December 29th, 2012, 05:36
Easy tiger....

He's on his meds right?...had mine today in the form of a 20 minute open road drive...

Jimmy Joe
December 30th, 2012, 04:02
There´s nothing like a heated argument to stir things up, just remember that just about everybody in this site loves their Beasts, no matter what, and those who are not really into it for a number of reason will defect sooner than later. So, I brought back an article posted by Erik, our esteemed Administrator some time ago, intitled "The nine Year Itch" by Ezra Dyer, of Automobile Magazine. Just remember, we all are entltled to some respect on the voicing of our own opinions. Thanks.

"The other day, my friend John calls me with a car question. He's got a 2002 Saab 9-5 wagon. "When you step on the gas," he says, "it makes this really bad noise, which is the same thing it did last time before the turbo died." He describes the malady in greater detail and I listen intently, considering all the possible causes of the problem, before offering my expert diagnosis: Get a new car. Man, for the sake of all that's holy, just get a new car. I know new cars are expensive, but nothing is more expensive than a nine-year-old European car. If Elin Nordegren really wanted to ruin Tiger Woods, her divorce lawyer would've stipulated that she henceforth be driven in a fleet of 2002 Mercedes-Benz S600s. No! Take the yacht! Take the mansions! Anything but that!
The nine-year-old European car looks compelling on the surface. You see something like an Audi A8, lithe and aluminum, for $12,000 and think, "How could I go wrong? This was a $70,000 car when it was new. Even if I have to put some money into it, it'll still cost less than a new Chevy Malibu." That is the fantasy. The reality is that every time a mechanic cracks the hood, you'll somehow have a bill for at least $1000. As my old independent BMW mechanic candidly put it, "It's the same skill set whether you're working on a BMW or a Ford, but with the BMW you just get paid a lot more."
Say you buy the nine-year-old car of your dreams for $15,000. You end up putting $2000 per year into it, and after five years you sell it for $6000. You've now spent $19,000 to drive this miserable, anxiety-creating trouble bucket. Meanwhile, the person who bought a new car for $25,000 has spent $2000 on brakes and service (if that), and the car is worth $10,000 after five years. Net expense: $17,000, sans headaches. You can play with the math on depreciation, insurance, and repairs, but the bottom line is that your fancy nine-year-old bargain could ultimately cost you more than a brand-new vehicle of more modest pretensions. And for what?
Not for prestige. Driving a new BMW 7-series says, "I've arrived." Driving a 2002 745i says, "I've arrived at a tent in my mom's backyard, where I live because it costs so much to keep this car on the road." People admire new cars and they admire thirty-year-old cars, but the nine-year-old car exists in a drab netherworld, neither new enough to confer status nor old enough to imply connoisseurship. The Ferrari 360 is a beautiful car, but the valets will know that it's worth about the same as a nice new Corvette.
Well, who cares what the valets think? That's an excellent point. And I do believe that you should buy a car to satisfy nobody but yourself -- if the Pontiac Aztek is what ignites your bliss, then have at it, you big freak. The problem is that cars improve so quickly that your mundane new car is often functionally superior to an eight-year-old super-duper luxury machine. By the time I bought my 1998 BMW M3, its 240 hp was surpassed by a Honda Accord V-6. Today's M3 is tomorrow's Buick, my friends. And it's not just horsepower -- fuel economy, safety, interior quality, and in-car electronics march ever forward. A guy driving a 2011 Ford Fiesta might have satellite radio, Bluetooth, and USB connectivity. Meanwhile, if the guy in a 2002 Bentley Arnage wants in-car entertainment, his options are a six-disc CD changer or an escort service.
To recap, nobody thinks your nine-year-old car is pimpin'. And even if it's got a big V-8, it might have about the same power as a new four-cylinder Hyundai Sonata turbo. But that's not the worst part. The worst part, and I speak from experience, is the reliability. Or the utter and complete lack thereof.
My brother-in-law bought a seemingly cherry 2001 BMW 530i and eventually came to distrust it so much that he started renting cars whenever he had to drive farther than ten miles. My 1991 Saab 9000 Turbo was about nine years old when it began covering more miles on flatbeds than it did under its own power. I know a guy who has a Land Rover Discovery that he claims is reliable, but when I asked if it had blown the head gasket, he replied, "Of course." If that's your answer to that question, then you have the proper expectations for Discovery ownership.
This is a well-known maxim, but it bears repeating: a $70,000 car may depreciate to eighteen grand, but it's still a $70,000 car whenever anything breaks. To name but one example, my Saab's leather shift knob became frayed, so I ordered a new one from the dealership. The dealer quoted me $165 -- borderline criminal but worth it for a leather knob that would probably last for the remaining life of the car. I went to the dealer to pick it up, and to my surprise, the parts guy arrived at the counter with a rubber shift knob.
A rubber shift knob for $165? Was this the work of the famed rubbersmiths of Boergflappen, a hand-hewn piece crafted from virgin stock carefully chiseled from the secluded Arctic rubber mines of Gnorkflug, predistressed by the calloused hand of Stig Blomqvist himself? No. It was a piece of crap with nasty flash lines and a shift pattern glued on top. I told him to keep it. If I'm paying $165 for a piece of rubber, it better be a Catwoman costume containing Michelle Pfeiffer. Also, the year should be 1992.
If that's what Saab is asking for a shift knob, imagine the bill when the air suspension craps out on your 100,000-mile Mercedes-Benz S-class. To paraphrase the late, great Notorious B.I.G.: mo' problems, mo' money.
So beware, all ye who scan the classifieds in search of the perfect union of panache and value. Sure, the 2003 Audi RS6 had 450 hp, only 1436 of them were sold in the States, and you can find them now for less than twenty grand. But buying one is a horrible idea. Isn't it?"

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz1b6FRIfvT (http://www.automobilemag.com/features/columns/1110_dyer_consequences_the_nine_year_itch/index.html#ixzz1b6FRIfvT).

papadoc
December 30th, 2012, 05:04
"So beware, all ye who scan the classifieds in search of the perfect union of panache and value. Sure, the 2003 Audi RS6 had 450 hp, only 1436 of them were sold in the States, and you can find them now for less than twenty grand. But buying one is a horrible idea. Isn't it?"

Having owned my RS6 since new, it becomes a different discussion, especially when it comes time for costly repairs. Having just rebuilt the transmission with the associated additions (EGT and O2 sensors), the comparison is NOT with newer cars that would cost far less that the RS did when new. We have a new Infiniti G37 in the family, and while the interior upgrades from our car are obvious, once on the road there is no contest. I had a 1988 M6 that I drove for 110K miles, and at the end of that time, many cars were superior. But there are few cars under $100k that compare with a tuned C5 RS6. Some people roll their cars over quickly, I prefer to hold on to them and care for them. The argument put forth in the article above really does not apply to our cars. An older S8, an M6, an S55 AMG, yes, but I am happy to spend a few $$ over the next few years that will be far less than the cost of almost anything that will compare to it on the road. Some day of course I will part with it, but for now, at 128k miles and a sweet new transmission, we have a few more years together...

December 30th, 2012, 14:25
Good thread. OK, let's talk apples to apples instead of new beige Camry to 9 year old supercar. Let's say I could even afford a nice new car and money was no object, I would like a 450hp sedan or wagon (I'm DONE with SUV's), 0-60 in under 5 seconds, and because I want to drive it down the road in my weather conditions it has to be AWD. What would I buy?

Now let's say I'm a real person with a real budget (unlike our federal government) and I can only spend 40k. What can I get?

There are plenty of cars I can buy and have them not cost me a dime except scheduled maintenance. And there are even a few I can buy and make money on (I bought and sold enough natural gas cars and trucks to pay for my RS). But at the end of a 4 day trip, I want something that gives me pleasure to drive up the canyon, not the POS Scion Xb I subject myself to for 5 years.

blmlozz
December 30th, 2012, 14:56
Having owned my RS6 since new, it becomes a different discussion
how? I find the authors point precisely correct. There is simply no argument here other than the owners of older cars like this are not interested in what is strictly logical or a better value. Some cars make you feel better to drive than others, period. Certinally an rs6 is a rare car with a decent engine and decent interior, but it's a 13 year old platform, and a 9 year old car, and its a particularly unreliable (and expensive) 9 year old car at that. Strictly from a used car vs new car perspective there are much better cars out there.. I on the ipad so i wont multi quote but your comment about no other better car under 100k is ridiculous. There are so many cars out there under 100k id rather have to modify than an rs6. The fact that i dont is a factor of the fact that i dont have 100k.

Im not trying to bash owners here, as i would like to soon find myself among them, but i have no disillusions about my future ownership. Its likely going to cost a significant portion of the car payment for my cts-v to keep it running in parts costs and modifying it alone.

but thats what i love about cars, not necessarily driving them, but working on them, fixing them, improving them. Thats why i find my v boring.. Its a blast to drive, but i cant leave well enough alone, and in that respect, a car i dont make payments on would be much more beneficial to have the luxury of spending money on rather than having to spend it on a car payment . Thats an aspect the automobile mag author simply doesnt understand or has grown out of. Cars are machines, and some people like to work on machines, to know how they work, to fix them and taken them apart, and some people just like to use them and then throw them away..

Truthfully thats why collector car owners love their cars so much, because typically they're piles of crap when they buy them but they're masterpieces when they're restored. Its extremely fulfilling to see that transformation.

Similarly, it was very fufilling to work and drive my s4, to know I was the only thing between her roadtripping up to NJ and a scrap yard.

the rs6 is just a bigger,badder , more unreliable S4, and i cant wait to get my dirty hands on one!

MaxRS6
December 30th, 2012, 14:59
Even with my issues with Audi- I still love my RS6 (yes it is a love/hate). However; when it is running correctly- I have had too much fun:

1) Ripping it open on the unsuspecting
2) The multiple converstations I have had with "What is that thing question?"
3) Ripping a big 4 door around the track with the Quattro and endless torque..I swear I could chain link all the participants cars and pull them around at decent speed if they would just let me.
4) Ripping on Audi for their poor customer service provides hours and days of entertainment
5) Yes- It will not leave my hands except for the grave yard or as a yard sculpture..

Yes- this relationship if very bi-polar...00

jtmdmd1
December 31st, 2012, 15:34
Its not a logical thing, I've spent more on maint on this car in the 6 months that I have had it than I spent in the last 10 years on other cars & I'm not thru yet (hopefully it will end soon- but then it will start over w/ tires, etc.).

It is worth it to hear the rumble when driving & to see the look on the face of a kid on a sport bike when you've chased them down on a twisting road & accelerated even with them up to 140mph, all with the golf clubs in the trunk & cup of coffee in my hand & lap. The "what the hell is that?" look is priceless- it is the ultimate sleeper!

I'm looking forward to running with Randy hopefully at Barber in the spring- wife gave ReZoom Track Day as Christmas present (if I can ever get the TC done).

Ted

lswing
December 31st, 2012, 17:24
Even with my issues with Audi- I still love my RS6 (yes it is a love/hate). However; when it is running correctly- I have had too much fun:

1) Ripping it open on the unsuspecting
2) The multiple converstations I have had with "What is that thing question?"
3) Ripping a big 4 door around the track with the Quattro and endless torque..I swear I could chain link all the participants cars and pull them around at decent speed if they would just let me.
4) Ripping on Audi for their poor customer service provides hours and days of entertainment
5) Yes- It will not leave my hands except for the grave yard or as a yard sculpture..

Yes- this relationship if very bi-polar...00

Thanks for keeping this fun Randy!

AWD, 500hp, the only other option would be a new S6...only thing that gets me is the creaks and wear of a 10 year old car with 95k...nevermind, it's amazing!

blmlozz
December 31st, 2012, 19:01
Thanks for keeping this fun Randy!

AWD, 500hp, the only other option would be a new S6...only thing that gets me is the creaks and wear of a 10 year old car with 95k...nevermind, it's amazing!
It adds character. New cars are far too insulated and cushy. They make you forget you're driving a car on a road sometimes.

MaxRS6
December 31st, 2012, 20:08
...wife gave ReZoom Track Day as Christmas present (if I can ever get the TC done).
Ted

She's a keeper...Congrats on the gift!

jtmdmd1
December 31st, 2012, 21:07
She's a keeper...Congrats on the gift!

Agreed, she's a keeper & it looks like I'm going to be able to get the TC done next week:) I'll get in touch with you to talk about Barber.

lswing
December 31st, 2012, 23:46
Not doing the trans while in there? I did trans one year after tc, wasn't too bad i guess, had a good year of driving...

jtmdmd1
January 1st, 2013, 18:56
I better wait on the transmission if I want to stay on good terms with the wife. The trans has been shifting fine & have not had any noticeable slippage w/ the TC. It only throws the code if I really push it hard, so hopefully I'll be OK for a while since I am not chipped & running extra power.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 19:11
Just an FYI...but a very slippery slope and it goes fast, meaning it's only slipping "when you run it hard"...pretty soon it will be slipping when you just take off in 1st or 2nd..then you will have to pay to remove trans again...we've all been there done that...

Unless your mechanic is doing you a favor, or works super cheap..wait and do it all at once...based on others experiences...you could potentially be doing this twice this year...

lswing
January 1st, 2013, 19:19
I hope he's saying only the TC slips. In that case, you could be fine for a few more years if your trans is cared for. I had 94k when my trans went, and thats with lots more power and some hard driving over a year.

My experience has been its hard to get the fluid fill perfect. Drive easy for a week then take back to have fluids topped off, an ounce of prevention...

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 19:40
Torque converters don't "slip". They divert fluid between plates. As I understand it, the "code" (17125) is a non-locking code, which happens because fluid leaks by and you lose line pressure. This is caused by a faulty O-ring. If the transmission slips, you are burning clutches. THIS happens when you are under power and the TC doesn't lock..hence the problem we all suffer...
Once you get the 17125 code, the guillotine is now falling...When your trans gets it's head cut off is just a matter of time...You must assume that your transmission is slipping if you get the 17125 code, how much is debatable...but it IS slipping...

lswing
January 1st, 2013, 19:44
Point well described...if the op has been careful since first cel hopefully damage is minimal. A look at the fluids can help indicate too...

ttboost
January 1st, 2013, 20:02
Point well described...if the op has been careful since first cel hopefully damage is minimal. A look at the fluids can help indicate too...

Yes..I agree. The FIRST time I saw the 17125 code, I stopped driving my car and replaced TC. It's been fine for over a year, until I got greedy.

January 2nd, 2013, 01:51
Why do all RS6 threads turn into transmission threads!!?? Ha! Drove my broke 5HP24A RS6 home today and loved every minute of it. 2000 miles on my "band aid" and still going strong.

So, under $50k new car, AWD, 0-60 under 5 seconds, no SUV. Anyone have a new car to fit this ?

ben916
January 2nd, 2013, 16:32
Why do all RS6 threads turn into transmission threads!!?? Ha! Drove my broke 5HP24A RS6 home today and loved every minute of it. 2000 miles on my "band aid" and still going strong.

So, under $50k new car, AWD, 0-60 under 5 seconds, no SUV. Anyone have a new car to fit this ?

Ford Taurus SHO

January 2nd, 2013, 16:52
Ford Taurus SHO

....under 5 seconds was a requirement.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-taurus-sho-first-drive-review

I actually looked at one before I bought Thing 2. Drove the RS into the Ford lot and parked it next to a 2010(or 2012, I can't remember) SHO they wanted 29k for. I wouldn't have traded them straight up even with my broke transmission. And I'm a Ford fan.

DHall1
January 2nd, 2013, 17:01
Least reliable car for last 15years?

I just drove Crazy #2 2400 miles in just over 2 days.

Nothing but pure driving enjoyment and no transmission issues at all. Just a rooster tail of my tracks. See ya later idjuits.

lswing
January 2nd, 2013, 18:40

Nothing but pure driving enjoyment and no transmission issues at all. Just a rooster tail of my tracks. See ya later idjuits.

You're a daring man!

ben916
January 2nd, 2013, 19:58
....under 5 seconds was a requirement.
I drove Thing#1, notibly thee fastest color out there, to the Ford dealer and parked 'er right in front so the "RS6" badge was clearly visible and I didn't even get a "hello" or "be with y'all in 45 minutes" or nothin'... Guess they were skurred...

That's ALOT of Redbull and Aces!!!

Bigglezworth
January 3rd, 2013, 04:28
My RS has cost me all of 1200 dollars the last 6 years to service. It runs as well today than the day it had 20,000 miles. Turning 9 years old this year and I would not own anything other.This is entirely unqualifiable. Put a mileage number to those 6 years. I have cars in my fleet that have cost me $0.00 in the past 10 years. They don't get driven.... If you are driving these cars as daily drivers, they cost you more than $200/yr and then some. A front set of brakes for a DIY effort is $1K and those are done a lot sooner than 6 years if you are actually driving it.

DHall1
January 3rd, 2013, 04:53
My front brake job is 700

Timing belt is 600

5k a year and my brakes generally last me 5yrs. 8yrs between timing belt jobs.

I think it could be done.

Tires every 25k or 5 years.

Bigglezworth
January 3rd, 2013, 05:23
My front brake job is 700

Timing belt is 600

5k a year and my brakes generally last me 5yrs. 8yrs between timing belt jobs.

I think it could be done.

Tires every 25k or 5 years.

Definatley not a daily driver at those numbers. I wish I was that fortunate in some aspects, but not complaining as it's a blast to drive this car. I average of 40-50miles/day of driving which is 4 times what your enjoying. A brake job for me costs $750CDN for the rotors (best online price there is) and another $150-200 for pads. I always need to have parts off the Net shipped and with brakes being as heavy as they are, it's an additional $60 just for shipping plus taxes pushing prices in my neck of the woods up. Every two - three years it's at least $1,500.00 in parts for just brakes and timing belts. Add tires, and other incidentals, and it's been a $1.5K/yr minimum general maintenance effort (entirely mileage related). That's entirely without any undesired failures.

Bigglezworth
January 3rd, 2013, 05:32
Torque converters don't "slip". They divert fluid between plates. As I understand it, the "code" (17125) is a non-locking code, which happens because fluid leaks by and you lose line pressure. This is caused by a faulty O-ring. If the transmission slips, you are burning clutches. THIS happens when you are under power and the TC doesn't lock..hence the problem we all suffer...
Once you get the 17125 code, the guillotine is now falling...When your trans gets it's head cut off is just a matter of time...You must assume that your transmission is slipping if you get the 17125 code, how much is debatable...but it IS slipping...
as along time hot rodder, statements like this baffle me. Torque convertors were in fact designed to slip. Back in the 80's they started to include a locking clutch to assist with gas mileage. People then start to think that if a convertor isn't locking up it isn't performing. It's just doing what a non-lockup convertor does is all. I have a low 10 second Buick that has a 3800 stall non-lockup convertor. It's designed to slip and then some. It's the only way it can produce the increased stall rate.

Further to stir up opinons on the blasted 17125 code, I have a friend who has an RS6 that has had this code appear on and off for more than 5 years! He drives the snot out of the car and it has never left him stranded. It doesn't cruise along and start to slip a couple of thousand RPM like some of the horror stories we've all ready on this forum. It accelerates just fine and obliterates a host of rides that take a run at it. Again, all while throwing a 17125 code every now and then.

mik15
January 3rd, 2013, 09:04
i haven't spent a single dime this year(2013) on my car :)...oh wait, just bought something off ebay, for cca $35 but that doesn't count as spending for the RS, is more like a gift :) !