PDA

View Full Version : Very hard downshifts at highway speeds.

UrS6
November 23rd, 2012, 01:07
I have had a 17125 code for 9 months or so. When I brought it in for service they cleared the code and it didn't come back so the warranty company wouldn't do anything. Now I notice that when cold and pulling away from a stop it seems to hesitate a half a sec and then slam before it moves. On the highway tonight at 60 mph in 5th gear i gave it some gas to pass --maybe 3/4 throttle) and it slammed so hard it made me wince.

So is this the TC causing this or has my tranny finally started to slip? I've tried the 5th gear in tip and as much throttle as I could without downshifting and I'm not sure if it slips a little or not. It seems to go up about 400 rpms before the car really takes off but I'm not sure if that's normal. The 17125 code is back and I want to get it fixed but I want to make sure if the tranny is toast it gets taken care of now because my warranty is up in 4 months. I don't want the TC replaced only to find out that the tranny needs replacement after the warranty is up and I'm screwed. How can I be sure?

ttboost
November 23rd, 2012, 01:45
Your dealer is screwing you. The 17125 code never just "goes away" You probably got it back the day after they reset it for you. The 17125 code means your TC is taking a crap. This causes the transmission to slip. NOW it has done it for 9 months. I think your TC AND Trans is probably toast. Mine finally sh*t the bed...6 speed time...

lswing
November 23rd, 2012, 06:19
Could be junk building up clogging valve body...your toasted tc is ruining your trans...

Primo
November 23rd, 2012, 07:46
Wait 4 months, and they'll say: "Oh, look! The tc and tranny is fried!"

November 23rd, 2012, 14:28
TC and trans shot. If it doesn't slip or slam in 5th the way it does in 1st to 4th it's the A clutch. Let me guess, only slips when hot right? Put on the e-brake, brake, point it in a safe direction and run the RPM's up to TC stall speed (about 1800 rpm) and I bet it slips then slams. That's your A clutch.

Make the warranty company fix it all.

4everRS
November 23rd, 2012, 16:24
Bring it in to get a new trans via warranty. From what I remember, they won't just replace the TC, but the whole trans. If they don't replace it, make it blow up. LOTS of brake launches, whatever it takes. Kill it before the warranty is up.

lswing
November 23rd, 2012, 17:28
Yep, it's well on it's way to completely gone, if they won't fix it now finish it off. Mine went from light slipping to complete slipping in just a day, maybe it's tha extra 100tq, but completely undriveable.

Elevens
November 23rd, 2012, 18:05
If the Tranny is out Rebuild it (Tozo) this will avoid any possible future Problems down the road. I've been there, done that. Had to pull mine twice because after doing the TC first the Tranny started to slip after that. So guess what I had to pull the Tranny again. Learn from my Experience, do it right the first time and avoid alot of headache and future expense...............

as350
November 23rd, 2012, 19:49
I profess up front that I don't have any exposure with TQ and trans failures in the RS6, but couldn't it be something as simple as not enough trans fluid that is causing the hesitation to go into gear and the hard shifts? Out of all the possibilities discussed, this is by far the cheapest thing to check.

NSU RS6
November 23rd, 2012, 21:31
I am so ehhhhhhhhh with this automatic.

I think I am lucky, because I know my tranny has not been abused in its lifetime.

But watching this forum, and then getting the occasional tranny slip, and think WTF.

I have VAG-COM, and will be using it this weekend. Fingers crossed.

If my trans is toast - FKCU Audi for putting an RS badge on my car. This car has not been abused in any way, certainly not in any way that befits "RS" labeling.

Truth in Engineering is not Badge Engineering.

Elevens
November 23rd, 2012, 22:02
I am so ehhhhhhhhh with this automatic.

I think I am lucky, because I know my tranny has not been abused in its lifetime.

But watching this forum, and then getting the occasional tranny slip, and think WTF.

I have VAG-COM, and will be using it this weekend. Fingers crossed.

If my trans is toast - FKCU Audi for putting an RS badge on my car. This car has not been abused in any way, certainly not in any way that befits "RS" labeling.

Truth in Engineering is not Badge Engineering.

I am sure you read the Forums before you bought the car, and should have realized that it's not IF the Transmission will go but WHEN. I knew it before I bought the car and was prepared for it (Warranty). The Car is 10 years old and regardless of how many miles is on it, things are bound to go bad. Especially the Tranny (due to being very Torque intense). These cars are a thing of beauty but they are getting old now and you must be prepared to spend. Its funny some of my friends have SRT8 Challengers, nissan 370Z's and Camaro SS's and my 10 year old Audi still Outshines them easily. So NSU if you bought this 10 year old car not expecting to have any kind of problems, you made a sad mistake and better sell it quick........

lswing
November 23rd, 2012, 22:02
How many miles on the car? I've got 94k and don't think it's that bad replacing the trans. Are you only owner, could have been driven hard, but yes we all know trans is a weak link. I'm assuming you're running stock power, which as we all know is enough to toast a trans or TC. Actually gonna go check my car for codes, back in a sec...

lswing
November 23rd, 2012, 23:25
My trans is shot...vag-com says this...

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4B0 927 156 FL
Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
Coding: 0000002
Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200
VCID: 76EDE59D02F038A80B9

No fault code found.

UrS6
November 23rd, 2012, 23:58
My trans is shot...vag-com says this...

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4B0 927 156 FL
Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
Coding: 0000002
Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200 (tel:00000 785 00200)
VCID: 76EDE59D02F038A80B9

No fault code found.

No codes but yours is definitely slipping? Did you ever log your tranny?

lswing
November 24th, 2012, 03:31
Log tranny how? It barely drives now, little gas and slip/clunk! Rough...

UrS6
November 24th, 2012, 04:24
Log tranny how? It barely drives now, little gas and slip/clunk! Rough...
I asked if you ever did. Like before is was undrivable.Apparently not. I would be interested in seeing what the log of a slipping tranny might look like

lswing
November 24th, 2012, 05:26
What would you log? I always did performance logging.